ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

2nd Leisure battery

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #1
After speaking to Bertie at Vanfest, I am thinking of fitting a 2nd leisure battery. I have looked for a link here on how to go about it, but can find nothing.
Is there a link does anyone know?, or is it a bit more complicated than just attaching batteries?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: 2nd Leisure battery

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #2
I fitted a second leisure battery to our MH this spring. The original leisure battery is under the garage at the back while the engine battery is under the driver’s seat. There are enough room under the seat to fit a second leisure battery. I used 35mm cables ( size of little finger) to join the terminals together. I fitted a mega block fuse, rated 150 amp between the two positive terminals, in case the cable became frayed and shorted.
When joining the 2 earth terminals together, I noticed that the earth from the orginal leisure battery to the chassis was in a poor condition so I compensated it by linking the the earth of the new leisure battery to the chassis at the same point as the engine battery.
In all it is quite straightforward, link all the positives poles together and then link all the earth poles together. This it true for 2 batteries or 10 batteries.
The cable size is the most important element, 35mm cable from my local motor factors was priced at 8 euro a metre but I used a set of long jump leads instead because they were cheaper. I cut off the clamps and crimpled on new eyelids.
I think the thread you are looking for could be under ally solar panels.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #3
Quote by Thorn123

I fitted a second leisure battery to our MH this spring. The original leisure battery is under the garage at the back while the engine battery is under the driver’s seat. There are enough room under the seat to fit a second leisure battery. I used 35mm cables ( size of little finger) to join the terminals together. I fitted a mega block fuse, rated 150 amp between the two positive terminals, in case the cable became frayed and shorted.
When joining the 2 earth terminals together, I noticed that the earth from the orginal leisure battery to the chassis was in a poor condition so I compensated it by linking the the earth of the new leisure battery to the chassis at the same point as the engine battery.
In all it is quite straightforward, link all the positives poles together and then link all the earth poles together. This it true for 2 batteries or 10 batteries.
The cable size is the most important element, 35mm cable from my local motor factors was priced at 8 euro a metre but I used a set of long jump leads instead because they were cheaper. I cut off the clamps and crimpled on new eyelids.

great i will have a look. thanks for that info, i will have a go at that.
do you know if it makes a difference if they are different size batteries

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #4
The question about matching batteries has sparked great debate here before. My orginal leisure battery was banjax so I had to purchase two batteries. My local supplier got me 2 batteries, one 90Ah and one 110 Ah. His advice was because each battery is the same make and age, the capacity issue doesn't arise.
However this could be disputed.
I forgot to say earlier that the cables linking the batteries together were routed under the van in the chassis, so it save me interfering with internal structures.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #5
Quote by Thorn123

The question about matching batteries has sparked great debate here before. My orginal leisure battery was banjax so I had to purchase two batteries. My local supplier got me 2 batteries, one 90Ah and one 110 Ah. His advice was because each battery is the same make and age, the capacity issue doesn't arise.
However this could be disputed.
I forgot to say earlier that the cables linking the batteries together were routed under the van in the chassis, so it save me interfering with internal structures.

the battery thats there at the moment is under the passenger seat and a bit ackward to get to, so i cant determine the size unless i take the seat out. it seems ok wear wise, and lasted the few days at vanfest, but wasnt really running much except the fridge, pump when needed, lights at night. i didnt push it, but im going to plonk the van outside the house and run a lot off it through the inverter. see how long it lasts.
im sure i read somewhere that if you run the positive lead from the original battery on the 2nd battery it spreads the load and charges and discharges evenly.
did you place the second battery under your seat?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #6
It's under the seat but it 5 metre run to the other leisure battery. Yes the seat will probaly have to be removed.
Most garages or auto electrical place can test your existing battery with a duty cycle tester ( its name has escaped me) and the results gives you the capacity of your battery. This is completely different to sticking a volt meter across the terminals.
When both batteries are connected properly the charge and discharge is spread evenly between them.
Another thing to check especially on old vans is the charging capacity of your alternator. Most of them are 150 amp rating which is adequate to recharge the system. This is also why the connecting cables are as big as I quoted

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Thorn123

It's under the seat but it 5 metre run to the other leisure battery. Yes the seat will probaly have to be removed.
Most garages or auto electrical place can test your existing battery with a duty cycle tester ( its name has escaped me) and the results gives you the capacity of your battery. This is completely different to sticking a volt meter across the terminals.
When both batteries are connected properly the charge and discharge is spread evenly between them.
Another thing to check especially on old vans is the charging capacity of your alternator. Most of them are 150 amp rating which is adequate to recharge the system. This is also why the connecting cables are as big as I quoted

thanks malcolm, appreciate the input. i have a clearer picture now of what im about. cheers :up:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #8
No problem you can send photos to me if you want.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #9
Before the new web update there was a great debate on this subject and someone put in a proper way to link to batts together have tried looking for it but can't come across it maybe someone knows where in the forum it is

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #10
forum/topic.php?t=13735

Try this one. There are a few videos too.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #11
Page 4 this section created by Ally under "leisure batteries wired differently/wrong" dated early February 2017.
Happy hunting

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Thorn123

Page 4 this section created by Ally under "leisure batteries wired differently/wrong" dated early February 2017.
Happy hunting

Just a matter of interest. When you say on page 4, I have only 2. If you go to your control panel and settings, you can scroll down and change the posts per page to up to 40. This saves on having to load the next page each time, especially if you are set to a quite low post per page setting. :up:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #13
Hi Chevy that a fair point. I am on 20 posts per page, while your are on 40. It just shows how the same info can be misleading.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #14
If you are going to do it . Then go .
Same size , same age , as close together as you can get them . all leads the same length.
Then you are on s winner.
But you're right first check do you really need to go down that road.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #15
Quote by Thorn123

Are you sure it was 35mm cable you used? that is a very big little Finger

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #16
LTS fitted a 2nd leisure battery for me last week. I assumed that I would need to replace the existing battery two but they said it was in good condition - likely because of the solar panel in the roof. They were able to keep the batteries very close to was having other so minimal cable needed. I don't know what diameter of wire they used. I would not feel confident tackling a job like this so I let them at it while doing a habitation check & some other work. Great to know Ivan go a long time without need for hook up if any need at all.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #17
I am not like Donal Trump, I was blessed with big hands!!!!!
The cables are 35 mm square cross section not 35mm in diameter, (apologies I haven't figured out how to type a number to the power of square ) .
I used jump leads purchased in Argos, 4 metres long for 33 euro, rated for 2500 cc engine, as they were the best value around. The eyelet lugs were less than a euro each.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #18
12V-24V-Inline-Auto-Waterproof-Circuit-Breaker-150-AMP-Manual-Reset-Switch.
HPC150 Circuit Breaker (150 Amps, Manual reset)

• Circuit breaker

• 150A

• Manual reset

•12v

•Waterproof
Malcolm,
is this the right type of circuit block to use.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #19
Type in " mega fuse holder" into amazon and you will see what I am talking about. The fuse is only necessary if your battery cables are travelling some distance or are passing through a floor pan etc. If the 2 batteries are side by side or the connecting cable won't be rubbing off a sharp edge, a fuse shouldn't be necessary.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #20
Quote by Thorn123

Type in " mega fuse holder" into amazon and you will see what I am talking about. The fuse is only necessary if your battery cables are travelling some distance or are passing through a floor pan etc. If the 2 batteries are side by side or the connecting cable won't be rubbing off a sharp edge, a fuse shouldn't be necessary.

great, thanks malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.