jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

New Tyres

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #1
Just back from Kerrs Tyres of Antrim with 4 new Michelin Camping Car Tyres on. Still getting over the shock of the cost but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: New Tyres

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #2
You didn't get your MHC discount then at Modern Tyres :shock:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #3
jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #4
I'll have to look at the Receipt tomorrow but the 4 cost me £560 so I'll have to have a collection some where. I'll get the size tomorrow.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #5
Why did you need 4 tyres Jack did the front not wear first or is there another reason for change

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #6
They were on her from new and the sidewalks were cracking badly. They are 9 years old and came on her.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #7
I reckon they've served their time alright!

Mick H
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #8
Quote by jacktherev

I'll have to look at the Receipt tomorrow but the 4 cost me £560 so I'll have to have a collection some where. I'll get the size tomorrow.

I'm currently in the process of having a new set of tyres, but am having difficulty in getting an assurance that they will, in fact, be brand new, i.e, manufactured this year.

Can I ask, please, have you checked the date shown on the sidewall of your tyres, and if so, what is their age?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #9
Mick, they were made this year and the size isv225X65R16 Michelin Camping Kerr Tyres ordered them in specially for me.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2017  ·  #10
I had 4 x 10 year old Continental CP tyres on my van and have just changed the front ones for Hancook LT ( light truck ) tyres , I have a 4000 kg A class van and the LT tyres are tougher than the CP one's cost e 320 . the rear 10 year old tyres are in v good condition no cracks or bulges

Mick H
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2017  ·  #11
Quote by jacktherev

Mick, they were made this year and the size isv225X65R16 Michelin Camping Kerr Tyres ordered them in specially for me.

Thank for that. I think that I will just go ahead and order a set.
Incidentally, that's the same size as my tyres. The current set are the original Michelin XC Campers. They have covered almost 60,000 miles, and are now 12 yrs old, so that is why i've decided to replace them, although they are still legal, and don't show much deterioration.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Mick H

Quote by jacktherev

Thank for that. I think that I will just go ahead and order a set.
Incidentally, that's the same size as my tyres. The current set are the original Michelin XC Campers. They have covered almost 60,000 miles, and are now 12 yrs old, so that is why i've decided to replace them, although they are still legal, and don't show much deterioration.

You got your value out of those Mick. ours are the same size and the previous owner changed them at six years and 12,000 miles

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2017  ·  #13
When I was running trucks , I would only use Michelins, New they were fitted on front axles and the old ones would go back to Michelin for recapping and then fitted on drive rims and after that if they were suitable then a retread to finish their life off on trailers.

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #14
You can't be too careful with tyres. We had some that were 5 years old, and there was loads of tread on them. But when we checked one day there was a split in one of them that could have been really dangerous. We were in Belgium at the time, and the tyre place was really helpful, but when we looked at all the other tyres we could see there were problems with potential splits. It probably was made worse by spending a lot of time in the sun. So 4 new tyres was an unexpected cost. They say tyres should be changed every 5 years, and now I understand why.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #15
Yeah, the thread on mine were perfect but the sidewalks were cracked. I'm going to France this year so I didn't want to take any chances.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #16
Quote by McGeemobile

You can't be too careful with tyres. We had some that were 5 years old, and there was loads of tread on them. But when we checked one day there was a split in one of them that could have been really dangerous. We were in Belgium at the time, and the tyre place was really helpful, but when we looked at all the other tyres we could see there were problems with potential splits. It probably was made worse by spending a lot of time in the sun. So 4 new tyres was an unexpected cost. They say tyres should be changed every 5 years, and now I understand why.

I thoroughly agree, How about this guy selling 12 year old secondhand tyres?,

http://www.adverts.ie/campers-motorhomes/tyres/12771232

Some one will probably buy them and they might be the cause of a serious accident. I want to ask Motorhomers who fit new tyres to please cut the sidewall of the old tyres with a Stanley knife and render them useless before you leave the tyre depot, you might save a Life.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #17
Surely no reputable tyre company would do,that?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #18
Maybe the link of the above add should be sent to the RSA and see what their opinion is.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #19
Hi Jack , just to make you feel better I priced up a set of your tyres with National Tyres in UK it was £600 plus balancing so you done O.K.

lamont1309
My Motorhome: McLouis 431
Base Vehicle: 2000 Ducato 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #20
I just replaced all 4 on my van. Couldn't afford Michelins so had to buy budget van tyres. Reckoned i wasn't heading to the continent any time soon and only covering about 3k a year. Also reckoned the budget tyres are better than those i just changed, the rear was original (dated 1999!!!!!!) and the fronts were more modern (dated 2003). sidewalls were full of cracks. Accident waiting to happen. also notice the ride is marginally better given that the old tyres were probably as hard as the habs (as they say around B'mena).

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #21
I've seen a pair of secondhand Michelins on Donedeal, looked cheap but the date code was 0505, which means week 5 or 2005 or 12 years old!
Whats more someone was prepared to offer money.
Madness having a 3+ ton van on 12 year old rubber, if anything went wrong it could be catastrophic...

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #22
Quote by jacktherev

Surely no reputable tyre company would do,that?

Jack, they are constantly for sale on Done Deal and Adverts.ie and many are offered for sale by the same Motorhomers that didn't consider them to be safe on their own vehicle, yet they have no problem pawning them off to get a few measly Euro risking the lives of everyone on the Road.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2017  ·  #23
That is terrible Pat. It's amazing what greed can do?

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #24
Just replaced all 6 on ours for €780.

At least they're done now, should get a good few years out of them :)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #25
It's gives one peace of mind when they are new.

Sogdiana
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #26
Hi Jack,

I've been looking for the new set as well and noticed that there are many reviews for the same popular brands and there no reviews at all for some smaller ones without a hype.
I must admit that Michelin tyres are really good but it's possible to buy smth cheaper. For example, I've recently bought new Continental tyres and was deeply impressed.
Comparing with Michelin, they seem to be more durable.
After a significant test drive I'll be able to give a comprehensive review, however, at the moment I can suggest them as a good option.
You can try as well and let us know your thoughts.

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #27
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by McGeemobile

I thoroughly agree, How about this guy selling 12 year old secondhand tyres?,

http://www.adverts.ie/campers-motorhomes/tyres/12771232

Some one will probably buy them and they might be the cause of a serious accident. I want to ask Motorhomers who fit new tyres to please cut the sidewall of the old tyres with a Stanley knife and render them useless before you leave the tyre depot, you might save a Life.

Totally agree with the sentiments of keeping a good set of tyres on any vehicle. I use the camping tyres but have a commercial van tyre on the spare wheel. I do that on the basis that I will only use the spare to get me home or to the nearest puncture repair place. (my spare wheel is a dirty looking steel wheel whilst the four wheels on the van are rather nice alloys)

In relation to the point made about unscrupulous persons selling on old tyres - the "dot code" moulded into the side wall of the tyre tells you the week and month of manufacture - usually the last four digits. For example a tyre manufactured today would have the code 0617.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #28
As a matter of interest, our 7000+ mile trip got us 33.3 mpg on Michelins. Last year 30.5 mpg on Vanco. They are more economical in the long run, unless of course you only do a couple of thousand miles a year.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.