boneill
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Starter Motorhome Advice

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi All,

I am looking for general advice about campervans.

I am on the lookout for a 6 birth motorhome with a few necessities. Having agreed layout with the other half and being a water sports enthusiast a u lounge, ladder and roof rack is a must. We have two young children under the age of 3.

Having viewed 3 private vans in Ireland I am hesitant as there will be no warranty. Budget is 20-23k.

I am tempted at looking abroad as there seems to be a bigger selection in the UK. What complications does this add and how does the VRT cost work out?

Any general advice as how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Billy
Dublin

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Starter Motorhome Advice

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #2
the VRT is an unkown, it is up to the authorities and the consensus is to make it up as they go along, problem is you have no recourse should you not like it. Bearing in mind you have a budget of roughly €20K that is roughly £17.5K stg and that hasnt allowed for the VRT. Look around all the dealers some of the site sponsors are ROI based such as Anchor Point and Donaghy's both have a good reputation and may be able to source something if they dont have one.

Another thing to bear in mind is that no matter what you think you want is probably not what you really need, you just dont know it yet. It is said it can take to van 3 or 4 before you get the layout right, as for a ladder and roof rack they usually can be added separately

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #3
A couple of points to consider,
6 berth does not mean that there is 6 seat belts, most have only 4 seat belts fitted.
Travelling with kids, mean there are child seats in the way when you park up.
It would be in my opinion, difficult get the layout that you desire in a campervan and drive it on a car licence ( less than 3500kg) especially when you consider adding a roof rack and it's load.
I am running a 6 berth chasson on a transit which is weighing in at 2950kg empty on full tank of diesel and full cylinder of gas. That leaves only 550kg for people and their gear.
We have 3 kayaks and my solution was to fit a towbar and convert a car trailer to take the kayaks and the gear.
I hope that I haven't scared you and I wish you happy hunting.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Motorhome

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #4
I would second what the controller says go to a dealer in Ireland you will get some warranty and piece of mind look at loads before you make up your mind ,good luck in your search

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Starter Motorhome Advice

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #5
VRT the mystery .
You have to send in all your paperwork and a set of photos to Revenue in Rosslare.
They in turn have someone in the Trade/ Motorhome businesses who accesses the Irish value ,then Revenue sends you a bill for 13.5% of that.
If you dispute their value, you then have to go to the trade and get a few of your own , also quoting adverts for similar vehicles, then go back to them for an adjustment.
The one problem is you have to pay them the figure they quote before they will enter into any discussion on a reduction.
Hope this throws some light on the matter.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #6
boneill
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by the fat controller

the VRT is an unkown, it is up to the authorities and the consensus is to make it up as they go along, problem is you have no recourse should you not like it. Bearing in mind you have a budget of roughly €20K that is roughly £17.5K stg and that hasnt allowed for the VRT. Look around all the dealers some of the site sponsors are ROI based such as Anchor Point and Donaghy's both have a good reputation and may be able to source something if they dont have one.

Another thing to bear in mind is that no matter what you think you want is probably not what you really need, you just dont know it yet. It is said it can take to van 3 or 4 before you get the layout right, as for a ladder and roof rack they usually can be added separately

I did not think adding a ladder and roof rack would be possible as it may interfere with the integrity with the motorhome.

Is it possible to add these and do you know of anybody who would and what would an estimation of price be?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2017  ·  #8
Paddleworks.ie is a company based in laois. Any attachment for a canoe/kayak transport they will know.
I priced roof rails, cross bars and ladder from faimma last year but it was 700 euro just for the parts which was outside my budget.

Keogher
Homepage: sellors.ie
My Motorhome: Hymer 622CL
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #9
We bought our first camper recently, 6 berth, we have 3 kids 7 years old down to 3. Go for bunks at the back if you can, works much better. kids love it, no messing with building beds. they are a good size (top and tail two kids per bunk if you need to).

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #10
The best thing with rear bunks and kids is , there is room to store a suitcase or large bag at the end of the bunk and it doesn't inference with them sleeping. We try and keep the kids clothes and toys etc in their bunks. Pull the curtain and the mess is gone.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.