Louis J
My Motorhome: Monaco Diplomat RV 40ft.
Base Vehicle: Carrick on Shannon
Subject:

Monaco Diplomat RV

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi All,
I have just purchased a Monaco Diplomat (Year 2000) and would appreciate any help on this type of Motorhome. Firstly I am getting some work done on it in order that it will pass the CVRT requirements. I am arranging insurance at the moment and all they have asked me for is , do I have a full licence? Answering the form I said I did however I hear that one needs to have D type licence to drive this 40 ft. Motorhome . Any tips ? Also I would like to put it in a site for about a year or so with facilities such as Electricity hook up, Water, and Connection to the sewerage system The area that I would like would be in the Wexford/Wicklow coast.As this is a new area for me I would appreciate any help. I have experience with Boating on the Shannon but like all new hobbies , ' steering' in the right directions always make things a little easier.
Regards
Louis J.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Monaco Diplomat RV

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #2
Sorry can't help with any of that but I'm sure someone will be able too.

Welcome to MHC

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #3
Hi louis,
The car licence ( category B ) is for up to 3500kg and 7 passengers.
The D category licence is for a bus. I reckon that you need a truck licence ( category C) but there is a lot more than just doing a driving test. Ring a driving instructor and they fill you in.
Basically you are looking for a seasonal pitch to park up the wagon. Most place don't stay open all year around. The Wicklow / Wexford coast is very popular spot due to it's proximity to Dublin. The main commercial campsites will not take a 40 foot wagon as it is too big. Your best bet is to search donedeal for seasonal pitch in caravan, mobile home section.
I have heard recenty that couple of places in Wexford have opened up new sites.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2017  ·  #4
Hi Louis,

In terms of the licence - here's the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…of_Ireland of licencing categories (done by capacity and gross weight)....as per thorn123, you'd need the next category and would be best to get an understanding of what's involved! Can't help on the sites front unfortunately!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Monaco Diplomat RV

· 
Posted: 23.05.2017  ·  #5
Hi Louis,
You will need a C class license to drive that . but if you are thinking of putting it somewhere as a static you will have the time to get the license , depending on what your driving experience that may not be too difficult . A craic,er on here Keith, was in the same position as you late last year and he was out on the road for his first trip about a month ago.

I was in Wolohan,s Silver Strand camping store ( he sells spares and service items ) and he has opened up another field.
silverstrand.ie .(0404) 69404.
Or gust Google Wicklow camping parks and sit down with the phone and Google Maps.
Best of luck with your new journey.

Irishencj7
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2017  ·  #6
I have a 40 foot also. Needed to get the c licence. Any questions drop a pm.

Ken in galway.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.