rustynutz
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Eura-mobil Integra 810
Base Vehicle: 2003 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Help locating split charge relay on 99 Rimor Superbrig

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #1
I recently noticed that the alternator in my camper isn't charging the leisure battery at all. Likewise when I choose the option to "parallel charge" the vehicle and leisure batteries on the habitation control panel, the vehicle battery isn't charging from the onboard charger. The fridge isn't working when the vehicle is running either.

I have done a bit of research and my understanding of how a typical motorhome charging system works is as follows:
The alternator should charge both the vehicle and leisure battery once the engine is running, the split charge relay controls this, and when the engine isn't running and the vehicle battery drops below a certain voltage the split charge relay separates the battery's to avoid flattening the vehicle battery. Is my understanding correct, is there another really to control the fridge?

I have checked all the fuses I can find with a multimeter so I am hoping it is just the relay stuck or faulty, problem is I can't locate it, and don't really know what it looks like if I did, can anyone shed some light on it please?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Help locating split charge relay on 99 Rimor Superbrig

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #2
Quote by rustynutz

I recently noticed that the alternator in my camper isn't charging the leisure battery at all. Likewise when I choose the option to "parallel charge" the vehicle and leisure batteries on the habitation control panel, the vehicle battery isn't charging from the onboard charger. The fridge isn't working when the vehicle is running either.

I have done a bit of research and my understanding of how a typical motorhome charging system works is as follows:
The alternator should charge both the vehicle and leisure battery once the engine is running, the split charge relay controls this, and when the engine isn't running and the vehicle battery drops below a certain voltage the split charge relay separates the battery's to avoid flattening the vehicle battery. Is my understanding correct, is there another really to control the fridge?

I have checked all the fuses I can find with a multimeter so I am hoping it is just the relay stuck or faulty, problem is I can't locate it, and don't really know what it looks like if I did, can anyone shed some light on it please?

Can be a multiple of problems here..... but...
The fact that :
1) Fridge not running on 12 volt with engine running
2) vehicle battery not charging when 'parallel' charging
3) alternator not charging habitation battery

The above all run separate circuits,
The split charge relay only engages after the engine starts and disengages when stopped.
The fridge relay trips in similarly, i.e. Only supply's +12 volts when engine is started.
The feed to the control panel from main battery is constantly live (has to be)

Now, the fridge and split charge relays are usually separate (especially on older vans) but there can be a combined fridge/split charge relay on newer models and even more modern ones have voltage sensing relays too.

The fact that you have multiple circuits down leads me to think the following:
You have a main feed cable/fuse/trip/relay down, or the "trigger" wire to a feed relay becoming open circuit...... the common denominator has to be a common failure feeding the circuits concerned in order for all of them to be out at once..... or you have multiple electrical circuit failures (unlikely).
You really need a schematic to see which it is, or the ability to check continuity at source and at consumer.
The relays to control the circuits can "usually" be found near the main battery and can be identified as they are usually going into an auxillery loom leading to the rear of the van.

These problems can be tricky sometimes, they are common to sort out and any comptonent auto electrician should not have an isssue tracing and repairing it.

Keep us updated.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #3
Have you jump started the vehicle lately?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2017  ·  #4
Get your alternator checked. On older alternators there is an extra wire fitted to tell the electrical system when the engine is running. This wire can control your fridge on 12v and the charging of the leisure system.
There was a few posts relating to spilt charging on here earlier this year

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.