Camping prices!

seanoo
Subject:

Camping prices!

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi , after being in Ireland for the last few weeks I've noticed that the aires and campsites are very expensive compared to the rest of Europe, I was in Donegal town today and went to "campers" but he wanted €25 for a night on his aire which admittedly was very nice but still too rich for me. Is there a reason for this ? High taxes? I'm not complaining as I don't have to use these services but just interested , Cheers sean

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Camping prices!

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #2
You should have parked up at the Quay in Donegal Town by the sea for nothing.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #3
That's ireland for you 🇨🇮

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #4
Sean,

Not all sites and Aires are a rip off,.......... just the majority of them,

You should get good value from the parking app,

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #5
Quote by seanoo

Hi , after being in Ireland for the last few weeks I've noticed that the aires and campsites are very expensive compared to the rest of Europe, I was in Donegal town today and went to "campers" but he wanted €25 for a night on his aire which admittedly was very nice but still too rich for me. Is there a reason for this ? High taxes? I'm not complaining as I don't have to use these services but just interested , Cheers sean

€25 for an aire does sound expensive. There are taxes here but nothing more excessive than other countries and the vat rate is only 9% for tourism related businesses.
I was brought up being told you get what you pay for and if it looks too cheap then there is usually a reason for this.
If you have no need for sites or Aires this gives you plenty of flexibility and choice, as mentioned the motorhome parking app will give you more than enough information to enable you to make an informed decision.
Btw there are plenty of Aires that do not charge anything like €25 for a night and some campsites as well. Good luck and enjoy your travels.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #6
Quote by mad max

Sean,

Not all sites and Aires are a rip off,.......... just the majority of them,

You should get good value from the parking app,

Agree, a fiver for the APP opens up the options.
To be honest, it's a must if you are going to do anything motorhome related in Ireland unless you are prepared to pay the common €30 a night on sites. The fiver is recouped six fold on the first night !

EDITED: Jamie beat me to it !

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #7
My peak season prices.
MH inc 1 adult =€12
Extra adult €6 each
Kids 3 to 16 €5 each
EHU if required is €3 (16amp)
Showers, wifi, rubbish disposal included. Plus grey and black empty points and fresh water included. Pets no extra charge.
Sea views no extra charge, genuine 10 minute walk to the village with 5 pubs and 3 restaurants.
I'm tight but I don't think we are bad value I can't/won't comment on other site fees.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #8
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

My peak season prices.
MH inc 1 adult =€12
Extra adult €6 each
Kids 3 to 16 €5 each
Showers, wifi, rubbish disposal included. Plus grey and black empty points and fresh water included. Pets no extra charge.
Sea views no extra charge, genuine 10 minute walk to the village with 5 pubs and 3 restaurants.
I'm tight but I don't think we are bad value I can't/won't comment on other site fees.

Jamie that's a very good price for peak season well done. I know sites in and around Killarney charge from 29 to 31 per night, outrageous in my opinion.
Once again well done to you.

seanoo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #9
Thanks for that. I bought the app before we arrived and it really is worth its weight in gold. We are now stopped for the night on a beach in Donegal that is probably the most beautiful spot I've ever been with my van.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #10
Quote by seanoo

I bought the app before we arrived and it really is worth its weight in gold.

Happy to hear you got good value from it. :)

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #11
Which beach Sean?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #12

My peak season prices.
MH inc 1 adult =€12
Extra adult €6 each
Kids 3 to 16 €5 each

Jamie, your prices are more than comparable to ACSI prices. We WILL see you this year for sure.
Superb pricing structure.
Just wish all site owners were so forward thinking.
Well done.

Quote by seanoo

Thanks for that. I bought the app before we arrived and it really is worth its weight in gold. We are now stopped for the night on a beach in Donegal that is probably the most beautiful spot I've ever been with my van.

Yes,
but Donegal is superb anyway !
Not biased or nothin !!!!!... aint that right JackTheRev ?!!!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #13
Yeah JJF it's a pity that the rest of Ireland doesn't know it's God's Promised Land flowing with milk and honey.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #14
Quote by jacktherev

Yeah JJF it's a pity that the rest of Ireland doesn't know it's God's Promised Land flowing with milk and honey.

And stout, stout too !

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #15
just saw the breakdown of the Strandcamping prices...it looks good but when you add it up with three children..am i right to say that for one night two adults and three children would be 33without electric and 36 with electric...a bit steep..i dont get why campsites charge per child...and its usually set price for 2 adults 2 children..and the 3rd child is extra...our third child alway feels hard done by...she is charged extra at campsites...but thats Ireland for you!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #16
The worst we even paid was 40 euro a night in killarney for grass pitch with ehu for 2+2. A family campsite according to their website, not even a swing for kids. But the worse bit was no booking accepted, if the entrance gate is open there is availability. It still amazes me with some of the premium price operators in the market that the lovely friendly face changes when a receipt is requested.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #17
Quote by jetty

just saw the breakdown of the Strandcamping prices...it looks good but when you add it up with three children..am i right to say that for one night two adults and three children would be 33without electric and 36 with electric...a bit steep..i dont get why campsites charge per child...and its usually set price for 2 adults 2 children..and the 3rd child is extra...our third child alway feels hard done by...she is charged extra at campsites...but thats Ireland for you!

Your maths is correct, 2
Adults =€18 plus 3 children at €5 each = 15 plus ehu at €3.
I'm not trying to hide or obscure my prices. I believe in transparency no hidden extra.
The charges are based on costs to me. It stands to reason that one person will generally have less showers, leave less rubbish, do less washing up etc two people. And in reality unless a child is very young will use the same services or facilities as an adult.
I can understand that with a family any holiday can be expensive, but at least with me what you see is what you pay.
I don't want to subsidise children's prices by charging adults even more.
Plus solo travelers have said they appreciate a cheaper fee rather than a fee that includes one unit and two adults.
We are running a business but we don't want to take the p*ss and we do not want people to be surprised at the overall costs.

We do allow people to book in advance and we will reserve their space,
We are happy to issue receipts.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #18

Quote by jetty

Your maths is correct, 2
Adults =€18 plus 3 children at €5 each = 15 plus ehu at €3.
I'm not trying to hide or obscure my prices. I believe in transparency no hidden extra.
The charges are based on costs to me. It stands to reason that one person will generally have less showers, leave less rubbish, do less washing up etc two people. And in reality unless a child is very young will use the same services or facilities as an adult.
I can understand that with a family any holiday can be expensive, but at least with me what you see is what you pay.
I don't want to subsidise children's prices by charging adults even more.
Plus solo travelers have said they appreciate a cheaper fee rather than a fee that includes one unit and two adults.
We are running a business but we don't want to take the p*ss and we do not want people to be surprised at the overall costs.

We do allow people to book in advance and we will reserve their space,

I agree, as i mostly travel solo why should i pay the same as two or 6 people . I wouldnt have to pay for two in a hotel

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Camping prices!

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #19
Nice one Jamie. As a matter of interest
When is your off peak season ,what do you charged .?
What would B&B for the quoted family of 5 cost in your area.?
I'm trying to figure how Long if would take yo get the motorhome investment black

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #20
Quote by sprinter

Nice one Jamie. As a matter of interest
When is your off peak season ,what do you charged .?
What would B&B for the quoted family of 5 cost in your area.?
I'm trying to figure how Long if would take yo get the motorhome investment black

Low season Sep, October, March, April it's €12 for the pitch for up to 2 people and €3 for ehu if required.
B&B €35 per person but if you stayed at the hotel (trumps) you would get your investment back quicker!

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #21
jamie,

thanks for your reply to my query. its good that we can all have a forum to express our thoughts and views on topics.
might see you in doonbeg with the husband, the three children, and even the dog during the season!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Camping prices!

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #22
Quote by jetty

Jamie,

thanks for your reply to my query. its good that we can all have a forum to express our thoughts and views on topics.
might see you in doonbeg with the husband, the three children, and even the dog during the season!

And you know what I bet when you look him in the eyes and introduce yourself, he will do you a deal :D

seanoo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #23
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Which beach Sean?

Sorry for the delay , it was cruit island near kincasslagh. Absolutely amazing spot .

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #24
Quote by seanoo

Quote by Mark&Wendy

Which beach Sean?

Sorry for the delay , it was cruit island near kincasslagh. Absolutely amazing spot .

Super super spot.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2017  ·  #25
Quote by jetty

jamie,

If you're are in the area do pop in and I'll walk you around the campsite. I learnt a while back when I'm on my travels to have a walk around a campsite before committing to stay. I am confident you'll like what you see. But whether it would be enough to convince you to pay €33/36 per night will have to remain to be seen.
There are some nice and safe areas to wild camp in and around Doonbeg and there is plenty to see and do in the area for children of all ages and some great walking areas for dogs.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2017  ·  #26
ta. will take you up on that!! happy days

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2017  ·  #27
In Lough Rynn at the moment. €15 a night including EHU. Beautiful setting. I believe showers are extra, I'll know in the morning. Spotless, on the lakeshore an Council owned.

notathome
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2017  ·  #28
Quote by Eamonn

In Lough Rynn at the moment. €15 a night including EHU. Beautiful setting. I believe showers are extra, I'll know in the morning. Spotless, on the lakeshore an Council owned.

As far as I can remember the showers are free. They only started charging for washing machines last year or so when some really took the p**s, bringing all the household laundry with them. Lovely site.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2017  ·  #29
jamie,
just wondering what are your prices for june,,thinking of heading that way late june. do i need to book in advance

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2017  ·  #30
Quote by Eamonn

€15 is all inclusive,

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2017  ·  #31
Quote by jetty

jamie,
just wondering what are your prices for june,,thinking of heading that way late june. do i need to book in advance

MH and 1 person =€12 then €6 per adult and €5 per child, ehu if required is €3.
We only have 20 pitches so booking is advisable but you can check if we have space on the day of travel via 0858367324.
Regards Jamie

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #32
ta.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Crait Island

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #33
Quote by JJF

Quote by seanoo

Quote by Mark&Wendy

Which beach Sean?

Super super spot.

Can you park the motorhome on the beach or is it only suitable for light camper.

philstoke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido 786F
Base Vehicle: 03 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #34
We are coming over to Ireland in July and looking at campsite prices they do seem to be very expensive and some of the sites I have looked at are just a grass field and are the same price or even dearer than The Caravan Club in the UK and they are expensive, although they do have very nice included facilities,
We wild camp in the UK if we can, although I always feel a bit vunurable though and you do get the idiots blowing their car horns as they drive by and boy racers as well causing a nuisance sometimes.
I don't know if this is the same in Ireland. I have just subscribed to the app and it looks very good with lots of free overnight parking.
All we want is somewhere safe to stop overnight as our motorhome is self sufficient and don't want to pay 20 to 30 euro a night just to park
Hopefully we will find places during our stay and stop at the odd Aires now and again to replenish our water and empty the tanks.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #35
two good spots in dublin for free parking are Skerries, beside the toilet block. make sure you look for the signs saying free parking.
the other spot is on the harbour in Howth.
Both places are quiet and always have campers staying.

philstoke
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #36
Yes thanks I have seen Howth harbour and will make our way there from the ferry, do they mind you staying there for 2 or 3 days, we want to go into Dublin for 1 or 2 days and there seems to be a lot to see around Howth

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #37
Expensive in Ireland? The Caravan Club site in York in July is £52 per night (granted that includes a £12 non-member fee)!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #38
Quote by philstoke

Yes thanks I have seen Howth harbour and will make our way there from the ferry, do they mind you staying there for 2 or 3 days, we want to go into Dublin for 1 or 2 days and there seems to be a lot to see around Howth

no, i think you will be ok. as long as you dont open your awning, put up your windbreak, lay out your table and chairs and invite people around you will be fine.
And bring your rod, good fishing off the rocks in Howth

philstoke
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #39
We have had the motorhome about 3 years and never opened up the awning, lol.
I have also carried round a couple of fishing rods which I have never used either, must make an effort, do you need a license to sea fish in Ireland

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #40
Quote by philstoke

We have had the motorhome about 3 years and never opened up the awning, lol.
I have also carried round a couple of fishing rods which I have never used either, must make an effort, do you need a license to sea fish in Ireland

In both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, licences are required for salmon and sea trout fishing.

Sea fishing for marine sport fish does not require a licence in either country.
most of what you will catch will require no licence as it will be mackerel, flatties, pollock or dog, so i wouldnt worry about it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.