ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Fiat Ducato losing power

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #1
My traveler is losing power just after start up, with smoke coming from the exhaust. ive checked on line and the problem sounds like a glow plug problem. After i let it idle/warm up for a few minutes, it seems ok.
anyone had any experience like this, and am i on the right track, or am i missing something.
Cheers
rob

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Fiat Ducato losing power

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #2
Year?
Engine?
Is it hard to start?
Blue/Black/White smoke?
EML light on?

Heater plug unlikely to make it loose power.
Faulty EGR will do though.

Need a bit more info.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #3
Year? 1992
Engine? 1.6diesel
Is it hard to start? there is a starting procedure. turn ignition, wait till glowplug light goes out, wait about 10 seconds, and start.
Blue/Black/White smoke? white
EML light on? once the van starts, all lights go out.
thanks for the input.

Need a bit more info.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #4
just checked faulty egr, sounds a bit more like it. think i will get a mechanic buddy to check it to be sure.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #5
Start at the start dirty fuel filter water in the fuel filter I had a boxer which done the same thing filter was full of sh*t and water

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #6
Cheers Hilton, i will look at that first :up:

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #7
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Year? 1992
Engine? 1.6diesel
Is it hard to start? there is a starting procedure. turn ignition, wait till glowplug light goes out, wait about 10 seconds, and start.
thanks for the input.

Need a bit more info.

If it's a 1992..
Must be a 1.9 or a 2.5... turbo or non turbo ?
It won't have an EGR valve nor an EML light.
Simple old engines these really.

Have you had it long?
Did it develop the fault in your ownership? If so.....
Did you have a timing belt done recently?

Those are very picky on pump timing and will cause it to smoke.
White smoke is usually overfuelling.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Quote by ROBANDSUE

Year? 1992
Engine? 1.6diesel
thanks for the input.

Need a bit more info.

If it's a 1992..
Must be a 1.9 or a 2.5... turbo or non turbo ?
It won't have an EGR valve nor an EML light.
Simple old engines these really.

Have you had it long?
Did it develop the fault in your ownership? If so.....
Did you have a timing belt done recently?

Those are very picky on pump timing and will cause it to smoke.
White smoke is usually overfuelling.

i might have the engine size wrong and as far as i know its non turbo. it seems to have developed this problem in the past couple of weeks, and i didnt get the belt done, no.
overfuelling sounds right, if you mean i was giving it too much acceleration. i was trying to over compensate for the loss of power by giving it more juice.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2017  ·  #9
Check the fuel filters, actually replace them, they only a few euro. On a old model engine like yours check the lift pump, the manaul lever you pump to bled air out of the fuel system. There should be a drain plug on the engine side of it and open and check the flow of diesel out of it. The diafram could be worn out in the lift pump.
Some vans of similar age had a plastic filter in the diesel tank and these are known to block over time.
I doubt it's the glow plugs but can be checked by removing the metal strip conecting them together and then using a wire conected to the positive pole of your battery gently touch each plug in turn. If there's a spark between wire and plug, it is good but no spark is broken.
Happy hunting.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Thorn123

Check the fuel filters, actually replace them, they only a few euro. On a old model engine like yours check the lift pump, the manaul lever you pump to bled air out of the fuel system. There should be a drain plug on the engine side of it and open and check the flow of diesel out of it. The diafram could be worn out in the lift pump.
Some vans of similar age had a plastic filter in the diesel tank and these are known to block over time.
I doubt it's the glow plugs but can be checked by removing the metal strip conecting them together and then using a wire conected to the positive pole of your battery gently touch each plug in turn. If there's a spark between wire and plug, it is good but no spark is broken.
Happy hunting.

And that, my frienD, is why i left it into my mechanic buddy last night. I had a look, and decided it would be best if i got someone who knew what he was looking for to check it. If i could get my hand on a manual I would have a root, but I would be poking around blind.
I left the van running for a couple of minutes before i drove it down to him and it was perfect. Hopefully whatever is causing it will be a small problem.
Thanks for the help Thorn :up:

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #11
You can pick up a manual on eBay and also you can get a PDF file of the internet ,happy hunting🚌

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #12
Quote by hillton9

You can pick up a manual on eBay and also you can get a PDF file of the internet ,happy hunting🚌

Cheers Hilton,
thats my mission for today. Although i think i tried before with no luck.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #13
will still have a look for the manual friday - can't remember if we got one or not..

but if anyone can advise - is this the symbol Rob? (bottom right)
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #14
Quote by killiand

will still have a look for the manual friday - can't remember if we got one or not..

but if anyone can advise - is this the symbol Rob? (bottom right)

no killian its over to the right of that, looks like a fan or blower symbol, with what looks like an inlet and outlet on either side.
i cant upload the photo i have for some reason.
its not a huge problem (i hope), but i would like to know.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #15
Here's the full dash!
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #16
Quote by killiand

Here's the full dash!

yeah, yours hasnt gotthe symbol i was looking for.
i will try again to upload it.
camperwarlight1.jpg
can you access this link?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Fiat Ducato losing power

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #17
Robandsue .

That image you posted looks to me like a Toubo ,are you sure it hasn't got one .
1.9 diesel in both turbo and normally aspirated versions was available on Hymers from 1994 to 2002.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2017  ·  #18
Quote by sprinter

Robandsue .

That image you posted looks to me like a Toubo ,are you sure it hasn't got one .
1.9 diesel in both turbo and normally aspirated versions was available on Hymers from 1994 to 2002.

maybe it has, something else to check.
had it checked over by a mechanic buddy, says everything is ok with it. i still think its a cold start problem. a bit sluggish this morning till it warmed up then it was fine. :up:

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #19
Just an update on the problem. Heading down to skerries at the weekend and as we lefty the house everything was cushty. Van started alright, let it warm up for a bit, and took off.
Got about 50 meters down the road and it start losing power. I pulled over, and stopped the engine. Re started her, with full ckoke, and left the full choke on till the temperature rose to over 70 degrees, took off not a bother.
What i did watch was the play on the accellerator. If i went too heavy, power started to drop, so I just let the revs build, changed gear and done the same thing.
No problems on the return leg on Sunday, so hoping it was just a foible that I had to get used to.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Fiat Ducato losing power

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #20
This all soundslike fuel starvation when needed .
A long time ago, Hiliman days on the Hunter I had a problem with a fleet of them , when you trottled down hard like when overtaking they would die and leave you sitting ,the problem was the treated the metal in the fuel tanks with some kind of paint which peeled off and was drawn into the fuel line in the tank blocking it so no fuel coming trough. Water in the system will do the very same thing. do you leave the tank empty when not in use can lead?
Thinking what you say reminded me of this and this is how I discovered the problem and resolved it. ( a long battle with tank replacement under warranty ),
So I would look at the filter in the tank on the end of the outlet pipe. Drain the tank and check for water or crap in the fuel . open all the fuel lines and blow them out into a clean container or cloth with an airline , take off all filters and shake them onto newspaper you on the surfane will spot water or crap.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #21
Quote by sprinter

This all soundslike fuel starvation when needed .
A long time ago, Hiliman days on the Hunter I had a problem with a fleet of them , when you trottled down hard like when overtaking they would die and leave you sitting ,the problem was the treated the metal in the fuel tanks with some kind of paint which peeled off and was drawn into the fuel line in the tank blocking it so no fuel coming trough. Water in the system will do the very same thing. do you leave the tank empty when not in use can lead?
Thinking what you say reminded me of this and this is how I discovered the problem and resolved it. ( a long battle with tank replacement under warranty ),
So I would look at the filter in the tank on the end of the outlet pipe. Drain the tank and check for water or crap in the fuel . open all the fuel lines and blow them out into a clean container or cloth with an airline , take off all filters and shake them onto newspaper you on the surfane will spot water or crap.

Had a mechanic buddy check the fuel lines, said they were good. once this van is warmed up its no bother.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #22
Not being a mechanic from what you are describing it sounds like a split intercooler hose to the turbo, it may only be apparent when cold as the heat will expand the material and then kind of seal itself as it becomes more flexible.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #23
Quote by the fat controller

Not being a mechanic from what you are describing it sounds like a split intercooler hose to the turbo, it may only be apparent when cold as the heat will expand the material and then kind of seal itself as it becomes more flexible.

Think Im going to moniter it for a while and See what happens. hopefully nothing.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #24
Quote by the fat controller

Older ones (like mine) dont have an intercooler John.

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #25
Sounds like a temperature sender?? it thinks the engine is warm so it's not going into cold start mode so when the engine is reaches normal temperature it's goes ok
When a diesel engine is cold the brain advances the timing and gives it extra fuel to help warm up the engine up .just a thought

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #26
Quote by big LIam

Sounds like a temperature sender?? it thinks the engine is warm so it's not going into cold start mode so when the engine is reaches normal temperature it's goes ok
When a diesel engine is cold the brain advances the timing and gives it extra fuel to help warm up the engine up .just a thought

Thanks bigliam, another thing to check :up:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #27
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Just an update on the problem. Heading down to skerries at the weekend and as we lefty the house everything was cushty. Van started alright, let it warm up for a bit, and took off.
Got about 50 meters down the road and it start losing power. I pulled over, and stopped the engine. Re started her, with full ckoke, and left the full choke on till the temperature rose to over 70 degrees, took off not a bother.
What i did watch was the play on the accellerator. If i went too heavy, power started to drop, so I just let the revs build, changed gear and done the same thing.
No problems on the return leg on Sunday, so hoping it was just a foible that I had to get used to.

I have never heard of one , a choke on a diesel engine . Sorry please explain what this choke is connected to around the engine have a look at the engine and have someone operate it and see what its connected to ?
There was a fast idle stat on some engines to help with worming up, when cold, the stat is closed operating a fast idle leaver , as the engine warms up the stat opens slowing down the idle.
Someone may have fitted a pull wire choke to it , in stead of replacing an expensive stat.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #28
Quote by sprinter

Quote by ROBANDSUE

I have never heard of one , a choke on a diesel engine . Sorry please explain what this choke is connected to around the engine have a look at the engine and have someone operate it and see what its connected to ?
There was a fast idle stat on some engines to help with worming up, when cold, the stat is closed operating a fast idle leaver , as the engine warms up the stat opens slowing down the idle.
Someone may have fitted a pull wire choke to it , in stead of replacing an expensive stat.

never even thought of that. i will have a look at that tonight. but there is definitely a choke lever, whether its connected as a choke is the other issue. and the fact that the van performs completely different when its out is now a mystery.
Now im stumped.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #29
I am just wondering, did a previous owner fit a hand throttle to the engine for the purposes of a cruise control? If this is so check the fuel pump and see is there two cables conected to the throttle arm.
Maybe one of the cables is stiff and need engine heat to loosen it. I could be barking up the wrong tree here!!!!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2017  ·  #30
Quote by Thorn123

I am just wondering, did a previous owner fit a hand throttle to the engine for the purposes of a cruise control? If this is so check the fuel pump and see is there two cables conected to the throttle arm.
Maybe one of the cables is stiff and need engine heat to loosen it. I could be barking up the wrong tree here!!!!

worth checking, ill give it a go.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.