DIY roof rack rails

Pauric
Subject:

DIY roof rack rails

· 
Posted: 01.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has done any home made roof rack rails. We have a roof rack but the front bar is missing and it seems a bit of a pain for strapping down my surfboards without it. It seems to be a generic brand with no name but similar to a fiamma. I've looked online and it's €150 for a set of Fiamma crossbars with connectors.

I was thinking of coming up with a homemade job and before starting I thought that there might be a really simple and obvious solution out there that I haven't thought of yet.

Obviously if someone points me in the direction of something ingenious that will save me money I will tell herself that it was all my idea and take all the brownie points 😉.

Thanks folks

P

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: DIY roof rack rails

· 
Posted: 01.05.2017  ·  #2
If you have raised side roof rails ,the following should work.
Get a lenght of 25 mm steel tube or box section. Cut it so it is about 2 inches longer than the outside width of the side rails. Place it with an inch sticking out pass each side rail. Use a good quality hose clamp, (jubilee clip, stainless steel are the best) and clamp the side rail and the crossbar together on each side.
You could fit two bars if you feel that you need a bar in the middle. The steel bars can be covered with pipe insulation foam to protect you surf boards.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2017  ·  #3
I did similar to Thorn123, when I needed to fit a roof box to my car for a couple of weeks. I used electricians uni strut and secured with jubilee clips to the side rails. It worked a treat.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

DIY roof rack rails

· 
Posted: 02.05.2017  ·  #4
I have used two uni strut's flat side up with holes drilled to match exhaust clamp u bolt's .on my work van.
If you are careful you can slide bicycle tube over the strut's for non slip or a piece of bike tyre for carrying ladders

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2017  ·  #5
I utilised the spreader support aluminium bars that are used in curtain siders.. Some stainless steel bolts and stuck them across the roof with load diffusers at 2 points across each strut to prevent opening joins etc on roof. Stuck a huge roof box ontop of them and its awesome for the outside garbage needed.
Don't have one of those Garages in her - so we did an extension:-)

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2017  ·  #6
lamont1309
My Motorhome: McLouis 431
Base Vehicle: 2000 Ducato 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2017  ·  #7
I bought 2 aluminium lengths of box section. Drilled holes to fit u bolts. There's a guy on eBay selling the box section cut to length with end caps. Whole thing cost about £45 and is really solid. I used mine to mount a roof box.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #8
Thanks chaps
Got a phone call from my son who had taken his bike to Badminton in the back of his car but forgot that his swmbo would need a seat on the way back, so phone dad, I had a old gutter mount rack in the garage bought 4 jumbo jubilee clips and with some blocks of wood to raise up from his very low rook rails for the very old (now upside down bike rack) well it got him and his bike home

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.