PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

france 2017

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #1
Hi, we are heading to france in june with the 2 divas and their brother, plan was 4 days around mont st michel and normandy, on to la garangoire for a relaxing 7 nights and home via nantes for ille de machines. the problem we have is which beach or memorial to visit in normandy. omaha seems to be popular online also where the best place to stay. we dont have long up there but would welcome any suggestions. As this will probably be the last visit to france with the 18yr onboard, we are trying to make it memorable for her, hopefully she will be heading to UL in sept to study french and english of all things. also your feedback on nantes would be greatly appreciated aswell. I dont post much but I love reading all your escapades. great tips and a great site

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: france 2017

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #2
Municipal site in Bayeux is a good base to visit beaches 1 day / overnight in Mt st Michel carpark is enough for quick look around but no facilities about 17 e to park for 24 hrs a visit to American cemetery in St James on way to Nantes is worth a look and Munisipal there has all info you need on city

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #3
Did 3 consecuitive years to a static on the Garangeoire..... kids and wife want our first motorhome Euro trip to stay a week there.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #4
Arromanches is in my view the best place to stop ,there is an aire near the 360 degree cinema, an aire in the village and also a municipal in village. Here you can see the floating harbours and also has a museum and nice little village.Have a look at my blog and the attaches map which shows a few pics and prices from last sept.
http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/blog/4578818926
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #5
Must say that we have been there ourselves and it is an unbelieveable experience,if anyone is in that area they should take the time and go there. :up:

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #6
Courseulles Sur Mer is also quite nice and it is possible (or at least it was a couple of years ago) to overnight right at the beach. But there aren't that many space so you need to get lucky.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Betty Swollocks

Did 3 consecuitive years to a static on the Garangeoire..... kids and wife want our first motorhome Euro trip to stay a week there.

Great area. Try some a night or two on a Aire near some of the beaches.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #8
Quote by Waterman

Courseulles Sur Mer is also quite nice and it is possible (or at least it was a couple of years ago) to overnight right at the beach. But there aren't that many space so you need to get lucky.

Agree think you can only park sept-march on the beach stopped in 2011,but there is an aire nearby with services and another couple of places to park
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #9
All good opinions in the posts above.
One other stop I think that is worth doing is St.Maire Eglise, the 1st town to be liberated by the airborne devision.
Lovely interactive museum, nice shops there reflecting the 1940's and the tour of the town that is good.
A mock mannequin parachutist still hangs on the church spire there as it happened on the initial drop on that fateful night.
All in all that area is a fantastic trip and worthy of a week alone and reflects what many brave men/women gave their lives so we can travel free today. Many war grave sites too in the area that are a sobering experience.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #10
We stayed at the municipal in Arromanches, and found it ok, if nothing special. the town itself is very touristy, but the museum and beach are well worth a visit, if you get me. Omaha beach, there's not a lot to see, other than the monuments and a lot of tourists. We visited the American cemetery, which I highly recommend, although not really a place for young kids. we also visited the guns at point du hoc.

Re Mont st Michel, lovely spot, but the crowds can be terrible. a lovely walk out (or get the bus), again I don't know about kids in those tight streets with those crowds/steps. We stayed in Ponterson, camping Haliotis, great site, you can cycle to the Mont along the riverbank from Ponterson quite easily theres also an aire in Ponterson behind the supermarket..

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.