Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Wood...

· 
Posted: 08.04.2017  ·  #1
Hi all,

Quick and easy question - (but i don't have the answer!) i was lying under the van and found wood in the base, underneath the cassette door.. does anyone know how much of the base is wood? or if it's just side supports?? Thanks in advance :)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Wood...

· 
Posted: 08.04.2017  ·  #2
I think most vans are constructed using some form of ply wood.sheeting. older vans are similar to old caravans where the frame is made of wood with aluminium cladding outside and ply wood veneer inside.
Modern MH are made using composite sheeting containing a number of different materials. Our MH is 2010 reg but underneath it seems to have a plywood base.

oirishman
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2017  ·  #3
At least it wont rust.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2017  ·  #4
It won't rust but it probably rot instead. The joys of living in a country where it rains 300 days a year

oirishman
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #5
get a tin of underbody sealer..its like tar....brushes on...

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #6
Quote by oirishman

get a tin of underbody sealer..its like tar....brushes on...

I don't know if I would agree with using under sealer like tar on wood, would it not lock in moisture in the wood and rot it worse???? would you be better with something like creosote or some wood preservative that expels moisture and is less smelly?
I don't know, any views?

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #7
Any and all views welcome - it won't rust but! It's definitely rotten inside... I've a feeling it could be a failing point!!

My bets are that there was a leak in the bathroom once upon a time... And the wood wasn't dried out... The wood under the rest is perfect, screwed a small bracket into it to hold the grey water earlier and it held lovely..

Am I right in saying I'll need to pull it back as far as is gone... And then re-surface it?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #8
Last year I fitted a towbar to the MH. I had to remove the grey water tank at the back to get access to the chassis for the modifications. The pipes from the bathroom enter the tank on the top side through the floor. From looking at the hole in the floor it's construction looks to be made of 2 sheets of ply about 8mm thick with about 25mm of dense foam between them. I am assuming that the manufacturer would have used some sort of moisture repellent compound in the construction of the floor. My fear in using a product now to add futher waterproofing could cause conditions for dry rot. I have read articles from my caravan days where this has happened.
Also from my caravan days I learnt when checking waste pipes for leaks use hot water as the heat expands the cracks making them easier found

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #9
CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #10
Quote by killiand

Any and all views welcome - it won't rust but! It's definitely rotten inside... I've a feeling it could be a failing point!!

My bets are that there was a leak in the bathroom once upon a time... And the wood wasn't dried out... The wood under the rest is perfect, screwed a small bracket into it to hold the grey water earlier and it held lovely..

Am I right in saying I'll need to pull it back as far as is gone... And then re-surface it?

If it is rotted wood preservative is of no use, just remove the rotted wood and replace it with a bit of marine ply if you can lay your hands on a bit or perhaps a bit of shuttering ply, make sure all leaks are stopped first though.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2017  ·  #11
Some belter tips there gents, much appreciated!! being brutal, I'd like to peel the whole bathroom out.... and put it back together...knowing there was one thing that was covered up leaves me worried about what other "plasters" were used! it'll be a project for when I can get a roof over her head though...!!

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2017  ·  #12
much the same problem myself, a small bit in rear corner only noticed when a small piece of thin ply fell down and when i poked about i found dry but rotten timber battens, from what i can see it must have been a leak from the bathroom above it and rain spray from rear wheel.good news killiand just clean as much as you can and replace the ply sheeting and paint it with some black paint testers didn`t look around there for to long. not sure if the living area is of interest to them as long as theres nothing major.
i`m the same as yourself i`ll get at it at some later date!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2017  ·  #13
Rotten floor under the toilet can be from a previous owner overfilling the cassette before emptying and then not cleaning the mess. Happens alot at music festivals etc.
Another source is the mastic seal between the shower wall and tray is broken and each shower is flooding the cassette area.
I have seen caravan showers been repaired using the plastic cladding which commonly fitted in domestic bathrooms.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2017  ·  #14
Cheers! :)

I know the sink plumbing has leaked (and possibly still leaks - so we have rendered it out of service until further notice!!) but that's great to know that a solution isn't huge! They're the little things that keep you busy eh.. !

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Reply on Wood...

· 
Posted: 11.04.2017  ·  #15
Don't use shuttering ply it looks good and tight but it is made strong but not made to last . marine is best ,treat (Preserve )all cut edges ,think about fibre glassing the working side. Get some advise from the boar Guy's if you can

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #16
Another solution worth considering is to remove the rotten section of the floor, and then patch the underside with aluminum sheeting about 6 inches past each edge using a good bonding agent. Then you can fill the hole with what ever material you like. The reason that I suggest aluminium is that it can be cut with a jigsaw and it does not rust and also it looks like a professional repair.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.