eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Tyre age

· 
Posted: 12.02.2017  ·  #1
My van recently passed the HGV (4000KG ) CVRT test which was a very stringent test as the RSA police were in the test centre at the time , I looked at the tyres yesterday and noticed they were dated 07 (van is 08 so original tyres ) they are Continental Vanco CP tyres and I cant see any cracks or other problems in them and assume tester could"nt either should I look into changeing them or not
CONFUSED :'( :'(
My car passed NCT with advisory on 6 yr old Continentals ???? :'(

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

Re: Tyre age

· 
Posted: 12.02.2017  ·  #2
im sure if there was a problem with them the centre would have/should have picked it up but haveing drove hgvs and busses for a number of years as you know the tires are of sturdier stuff than normal cars so heres a tip ive learned! if you haven't access to a compressor pull into a garage deflate your tyre and this will show uo the smallest of cracks and tyre degradation and so you can judge and make a decision yourself if you need them replaced.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2017  ·  #3
At 10 years old I would be changing them Dave, they might look fine but God only knows how safe they would be Driving hard down a Motorway in a scorching Summer's day. I am very surprised a Motorhome Dealer let out a Van only a few months ago with Tyres of that Age. I can only think it was an error on their part and would hope they would replace them free of charge or at least part pay for them. Just think of the reputation they would get if one of them blew out and caused an accident.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2017  ·  #4
Quote by CHAUSSON

At 10 years old I would be changing them Dave, they might look fine but God only knows how safe they would be Driving hard down a Motorway in a scorching Summer's day. I am very surprised a Motorhome Dealer let out a Van only a few months ago with Tyres of that Age. I can only think it was an error on their part and would hope they would replace them free of charge or at least part pay for them. Just think of the reputation they would get if one of them blew out and caused an accident.

good point worth mentioning it sure what can they say.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2017  ·  #5
Try this Dave: In principal, a tyre’s lifespan is around ten years, however a 'new' tyre is designed to last between one to five years if it’s properly stored when not in use. Both physical and chemical reasons cause tyres to age and this can also happen to tyres that are rarely or never even driven on. Compounds containing anti-oxidising chemicals are used to slow down the natural aging process of rubber. In this way, a tyre that has been correctly stored for long periods should still meet the specifications of, and perform like, a new tyre. However, what is also important is tyre mileage. With an average of around 27,000 miles per year, summer tyres should be replaced at three and a half years and winter tyres after a maximum of seven years (assuming that the tyres have only been used each winter).
Don't know where they got the 27,000 pa figure from. Mytyres.co.uk
I wouldn't like to race along on 7 years old let alone 10.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2017  ·  #6
T he RSA website says up to 10 yrs is OK just to look out for cracks ,bulges tears etc and they dont fail tyres otherwise

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2017  ·  #7
heres a useful guide if it opens
motorhome-leaflet.pdf tyre safety leaflet.pdf
on my last van an 07 which had only done 8000 miles when i bought it (on Michelin Agilis campers) the tyres looked as if they had very little wear, but with a month long trip of Scotland due and the tyres nearly 10 year old i decided to replace with like for like (at a cost of £500) and when i had them changed i (as a tyre fitter in my working days) inspected the tyres and they were fine but better to be sure than sorry as a motorway blow out could have been a lot more expensive.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #8
Any recommendations for a good Motorhome tyre supplier (Dublin area, but can travel). Thanks

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #9
Motorhome tyres are the same as the commercial van equivalent. There are alot of sh*te tyres on the market to suit a suppliers pocket. There should be a sticker on the door frame or engine bay from the manufacturer outlining tyre type, tyre size, tyre pressure. Alternatively look in your manual that came with the MH the same info will be there.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Tyre age and insurance cover

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #10
Hi,
This thread prompts me to wonder about insurance cover & tyre age. I had my CVRT yesterday and got an advisory on the age of one of my tyres, being over 6 years old - mine is stamped 09 but as the tester told me it is perfect. My concern is since it is over 6 years old does that invalidate my insurance cover?
On another but related issue is cover invalidated if an annual habitation check is not done?
Looking forward to expert opinion. Thanks.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #11
As long as your tyres are legal the fact they are old will not invalidate your insurance but watch for the tyre walls perishing or cracking.
Annual habitation check is not a requirement for insurance at all.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Tyre age

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #12
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

As long as your tyres are legal the fact they are old will not invalidate your insurance but watch for the tyre walls perishing or cracking.
Annual habitation check is not a requirement for insurance at all.

I got fail advisory for all 4 tyres on my car at the last test. I have a set of snow tyres on spare wheels that I change over to in winter and I hadn't changed them back before the test and they are in the garage until next winter there is plenty of meat on them.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #13
Quote by jfly57

I had my CVRT yesterday and got an advisory on the age of one of my tyres, being over 6 years old - mine is stamped 09 but as the tester told me it is perfect. My concern is since it is over 6 years old does that invalidate my insurance cover?
On another but related issue is cover invalidated if an annual habitation check is not done?
Looking forward to expert opinion. Thanks.

Seems like a very thorough CVRT tester checking the date of your tyres! Not aware that advisories were issued for tyres over a certain age. Normally if they aren't cracked or showing excessive wear, they get through. Tyres can often be held in storage for up a year before they see the light of day. Some daft accessories on the market i.e. tyre covers - I use tyre dressing to prevent the effects of UV rays 8-)

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #14
I'm still driving on an 07 tyre that I started this thread with and have been assured it's fine by tyre dealers I go to to check the pressures every couple of months

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #15
on the original tyres.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #16
I bought 5 Agilis tyres in 2011. Before I bought I wanted to ensure that the tyres were not lying in the garage for long, so I got onto Michelin and they were able to tell me brand new tyres were in stock at a garage in Ballymun-I can’t remember the name of the garage now. They cost me about €800. But I still feel very safe with them. No sign of any trauma on the tyres to date. Mileage done would be about 30,000kms. The spare is totally unused. I used to think that the lifespan was 7 years, but ( I don’t want to be adamant) I think I read somewhere that these tyres were good for 10 years. DOE done in March and got the all clear.
Franco

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #17
I used 1960s tyres on a mini around 2010. They had always been stored in the dark and were as good as new.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #18
Thanks SrandCamping.
And you are correct on the tyre age; after posting I emailed Dolman Ins and a response came to say there is no age limit requirement for insurance cover just ensure the camper is roadworthy which I presume means having CVRT up to date.
That's interesting on the habitation check - I thought it might be a definite requirement.
Best wishes.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #19
AdiH said
>>Any recommendations for a good Motorhome tyre supplier (Dublin area, but can travel). <

We bought our Tyres last year in Bradys wheel store in Arklow. Ring first to see if in stock, think about €600 for 4....I did a post around that time.
Our MH is 09 reg, passed CVRT no problem on original tyres, mileage not high, but fine cracks on wall.

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #20
To All...Tyres can save your LIFE... Happy Motorhomennnn.
😃😃😃.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #21
That's interesting on the habitation check - I thought it might be a definite requirement.
Best wishes.
[/quote]
No legal requirement for a habitation check but unless you really know your stuff when it comes to damp, electrics and gas it is something to seriously consider having done on a regular basis.
If damp gets hold of your van it can be a very expensive fix, so catching it early would be a good idea and don’t think it only happens to older vans, the quality of build workmanship on most vans, (I exclude blag’s) is woeful, one faulty seal could be one big problem.
I always get my house boiler serviced every year so a check on the gas system and electrics just makes sense to me.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.