Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Motorway Tolls in France

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #1
I am a newbie on here so apologies if this topic has been discussed before. I have just been reading about all you lucky folk planning to go to France this year and someone mentioned toll charges. Has anyone ever obtained a toll from Sanef (the people who run the euro tunnel) it is a small token you get from them at www.saneftolling.co.uk/ And you place it on the inside of your windscreen just behind the rear view mirror in the shaded area. As you approach the tolls with long queues of vehicles you just vere off to the toll with the little red t above it and as you approach it the barrier lifts as if by magic and you drive straight through without having to stop. The cost of the toll is then extracted from your bank account automatically at the end of the month. We drove down to Nice last year and never stopped once either way, the looks you get from the people waiting in the queues is pleasure in itself, and the time you save is precious. This token system means you do not have to worry about whether you pay by card or cash and no leaning over to reach the kiosk on the wrong side or getting the other half flustered while trying to pay. Good Luck, Floorman.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Motorway Tolls in France

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #2
Yes indeed, I have one fitted in the MH. Superb job and no faffing about with credit/debit cards or change.
Mine is from ATMB, it was €9 or something like that directly from France and arrive a few days after ordering.
You can check your balance online, payment is on debit card the month after your journeys..... Highly recommended.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #3
Great job.
Last time I checked it was only available for up to 3500kg.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #4
This sounds really useful, I have travelled many times on toll roads between Nantes and La Roche, it is a real pain even in a car to be stuck in queues, last year my wife had a back injury and at each booth I had to run around the car and feed the machine. This year will be my first year in a motorhome, is there a rule of thumb for how much more expensive the toll charges are for a motorhome, mine is under 3m and 3500kg.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #5
Same as car, a class 2 toll. Being able to just cruise through and forget the change/cc/booth etc..... Really good.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #6
Hi ColinM, I have only travelled in a car as I don't take delivery of my new van until March, but I am sure if you contact Sanef they will tell you, I live in England (but from Ireland) and it surprises me how many people do not know of this little gem. Originally you could only obtain one if you had a French bank account.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #7
Hi Floorman, thanks I'll checkout the website, it seems a good job, and the way they calculate the exchange seems quite generous. I'm just interested how they can differentiate between vehicle types, for example motorhomes under 3500kg and over 3500kg. I did check a site a while back and it looked like it was about twice the price of a normal car. I have been going to the same village for the last 10 years, but want to go touring this year, I'm worried about getting a shock , like mobile data roaming charges, when I get home.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #8
Thanks, JJF, I'm so slow at typing, your response came through while I was trying to work out how to spell differentiate

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #9
Vehicles are automatically scanned on approach to the gates.
If you are over a certain height and width it considers you to be in the relevant class and charges you accordingly.
Check the LCD screen before you pay as some motorhomes can be class 2 but scann as class 3 due to their height.

You can press the button and explain it is ancamping car and they should reduce the charge.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #10
Thats my fear of using the tag, I wouldn't find the overcharge until the bill came through the following month. When you buy the tag, do you choose the type of vehicle it is for?

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #11
No you just apply for the tag and the computor on the barrier sorts it out. There really is no need to be worried about it, it is quite simple.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2016  ·  #12
Indeed a worthwhile addition to make life easier. Just drive up at 30kph and the barrier lifts. It's also good in that you can see exactly how much you've paid in tolls for future reference.

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #13
I am a committed toll tag user in this country (ROI) - It just makes life so much more easy.!

Problem with the Liber-t as far as I can make out is that my vehicle is over 3,500kg
So it appears no can do

But as an alternative for us who have a MH higher than 3 meters or heavier than 3,500 kg this company may be an alternative

https://www.tolltickets.com/co…n-GB&mnu=c

I haven't checked it out fully but will look at it more if we decide to go France this year

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #14
We are now the same. Our new Motorhome is over 3m high and 4250kg so we are class 3. There is an option I found online earlier but no price for tag charges or rental.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #15
for peoples reference, we used the Sanef system traveling ACROSS France last year from Roscoff to Mont st Michel , then across to Switzerland/Italy and similar route home. I have no idea how many French miles that amounts to, but the bill at the end of the month £93 odd. Hope this helps.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #16
Thank you all for your input and valuable comments on this topic. I think we are all agreed if your vehicle fits the bill this is the easiest and least stressful way to travel on French Motorways.

jonny.i
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 FML
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducatto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2016  ·  #17
How do they know your weight,is there a weigh bridge before the barrier

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2016  ·  #18
I travel to Longeville sur Mer in the Vendee 2 or 3 times per year, I normally go via Rennes and Nantes. My satnav always tried to take me via Le Mans, but there were services we normally stopped at on the Rennes route to let our dog have a run, so we would ignore the satnav. On one trip I decided to follow the satnav to see if I was missing something, both trips were around the same distance and took me around the same length of time , one thing different was the cost of the tolls. I have attached to screen shots of the routes from the Autoroutes website. Via Le Mans the toll for a car was 34.8 euros, via Rennes it was 6.6 euros :bandit:

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2016  ·  #19
Sure that takes the fun out of it,when the wife drops the credit card, then can't find ticket to exit other end,

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2016  ·  #20
It far worse when the wife goes on a shopping spree and takes your credit card with her.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #21
We have used the ATMB tag last year and we found it brilliant, no messing with cards & cash. It cost €20 and was well worth it. Another plus is you are not charged an admin fee the months you don't use it. Adm fee is €1.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

tolls

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #22
Hi has anyone got a figure for the cost of the M6 Toll for an ELWB Sprinter or a better direction from Holyhead to Dover, We are trying to put together a Plan/ estimate for a trip from Wicklow to Zurich in June.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #23
Quote by sprinter

Hi has anyone got a figure for the cost of the M6 Toll for an ELWB Sprinter or a better direction from Holyhead to Dover, We are trying to put together a Plan/ estimate for a trip from Wicklow to Zurich in June.

we avoided tolls completely travelling this route last summer in a transporter. we followed a route advised on here, without looking up maps, I'm not sure of the route.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #24
Quote by Breeze

We have used the ATMB tag last year and we found it brilliant, no messing with cards & cash. It cost €20 and was well worth it. Another plus is you are not charged an admin fee the months you don't use it. Adm fee is €1.

That isn't bad.
What is the maximum vehicle size for that?

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.01.2017  ·  #25
hi jjf, did you subscribe as a light vehicle? Ive just looked at their www site and they have a free tag and free subscription offer valid until 21 march which looks good but I couldn't see anywhere where one had to select vehicle type during the sign up?

Aidob
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.01.2017  ·  #26
It's based on height. Under 3 meter is same as a car

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Tolls in france

· 
Posted: 21.04.2017  ·  #27
I just got a Tx from a friend with a Rotec 662 .less then 3 Mtr and 3500 kg he got a tag a couple of weeks ago,so is the first one I know to use one .his comment .
Tag works ! Yeaa !

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.04.2017  ·  #28
Quote by Hymer544

hi jjf, did you subscribe as a light vehicle? Ive just looked at their www site and they have a free tag and free subscription offer valid until 21 march which looks good but I couldn't see anywhere where one had to select vehicle type during the sign up?

Can't remember to be honest.
We've used it extensively on this trip, brilliant... drive up to barrier, beep, and off you go.
Always charged as a class 2, I'm 3.2m high inc topbox.
We're using the ATMB tag. Pic below.
One tip, (see below) mount it on bottom left of windscreen to allow the reader to see/access the tag.
We had ours where the rear view mirror was on the screen and the overhead hang stopped it working at times.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2017  ·  #29
Thanks jjf. That's very odd. I was just sitting at home about to post a question about where best to stick my new atmb tag! That's saves me the trouble...lol. Thanks a lot. I dont have a top box so seems that classe 2 all the way...

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2017  ·  #30
I am a bit confused as to,the best one to get. I am over 3.5 and towing a trailer.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2017  ·  #31
Quote by Hymer544

Thanks jjf. That's very odd. I was just sitting at home about to post a question about where best to stick my new atmb tag! That's saves me the trouble...lol. Thanks a lot. I dont have a top box so seems that classe 2 all the way...

Don't put it in front of the wiper, we had a work van that we had to turn on the wipers every time going through the toll 🇧🇭

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

Motorway Tolls in France

· 
Posted: 24.04.2017  ·  #32
Quote by ColinM

This sounds really useful,............is there a rule of thumb for how much more expensive the toll charges are for a motorhome, mine is under 3m and 3500kg.

We have a sticker on dashboard to remind us our height is 3.2m for low bridges.
This is overall height including the satellite dish and dome.
We forgot about them one time when we changed toll lanes as in a slow one with big trucks till we heard overhead chains rattling and smashed dome :-(
But for purpose of toll, Is there good clearance? And would we still be ok for Class 2.
We are 3500kg.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2017  ·  #33
there is a tag lane for lorries with full height as well as tag lane for cars at most if I remember correctly with full height tag lane to the far right of toll lanes

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Motorway Tolls in France

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #34
We used the ATMB toll tag last few weeks going and returning from Zurich, worked a treat , aim for the right lanes marked 30 ,slow down to 30kmph drive straight trough ,if you miss and go into a regular lane ,wait until it is clear drive forward slowly barrier pops up , your good to go no hassle.

Billy60
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #35
Does the AMTB tag show you the charge at the barrier and the class the same as using the normal pay lanes. Just wondering as it would be handy to see your charged the correct class. Weight 3500 or over always seems to be class 2 but the height over 3.2 can fire motorhomes to class 3. Cars seem to be class 1 (Vehicle with overall height under 2 metres and GVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes) , normal campers class 2 (Vehicle with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes) which is 1.5 times class 1 and class 3 is double class 1. (Vehicle with overall height of 3 metres or more
- Vehicle with GVW of more than 3.5 tonnes)
for some reason campers over 3500kg still seem to get charged class 2.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #36
I don't think you do see the charge if using a tag, as for the class charged it is based on weight but automatically read by the height, in theory you could weigh 2t be 4m tall and charged at class4, you can press the button for assistance and tell them class 2 providing you are not over 3.5t no matter what height you are.

Likewise if you are 4t and coming up at class2 then say nothing and take it

wicklowelk
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Swift Escape
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #37
Hi. we drove across France with our AMTB tag which worked a treat.Drive up to the toll keeping to the right were the trucks go and when the barrier lifts wait a moment and it will show the price.When you get your bill at the end of the month you can check on line for each toll you used. Enjoy your trip

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #38
Had one barrier that refused to lift with the ATMB tag, pressed the intercom and told the lady we were the camping car and had ATMB tag, she raised the barrier and we were charged accordingly with no problem and always a class 2.. we are 3500kg & 3.2metres high inc top box. The tag makes the motorway journey effortless.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #39
Just signed up for a tag. Should make life a bit less stressful next month. Counting the days!

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #40
Yes Mark got the tag a couple of months ago and going over in September hoping it works ok to Edd

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.