touting for business

old375
My Motorhome: talbot autotrail scout 1992
Base Vehicle: talbot express
Subject:

campsites in tramore.

· 
Posted: 07.09.2016  ·  #1
just back from trip around the south,stayed in killarney saturday night in beechgrove campsite and found it best value for money in a while.20 euro for free wi fi,electric and showers.owner is a lovely man.wasnt sure where we would have been on sunday night but found ourseleves back there again.not a problem.told to find a spot and park and the owner would be around in a while.quiet spot nice people there spoke to a guy that was staying there for a couple of weeks and they did him a deal.went to waterford yesterday and decided to try tramore for a spot,one site seemed shut as the gate was closed and the other was residents only so we drove around tramore and on the way back stopped near fitzmaurices the one that seemed shut.i was on the phoen looking for other places when there was a knock on the window.a woman stood there asking if i had knocked at the door of her campsite that she might not have heard me.i said no but have you spaces,yes she said and then i asked how much.32 euro was her answer,needless to say she didnt get my business but im after looking up the site on line now and it is 32 plus another 4 if you want electric.so far on our trip i can recommend lidl for their hospitality as they dont have barriers on their car parks and they made some money from us too.

Dave s

Subject:

Re: campsites in tramore.

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #2
Maybe you should have tried the aire se service in Ardmore. Not to far from tramore on the N25 . it's only 10 Euro a night (right on the beach) no hook up but fresh, grey, and toilet cleaning facilities available. Plus it's a 5 min walk to the village / town with shops, take aways, pubs .

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #3
Price structures on campsites.
We have always charged extra for Electricity rather than include it for "free" if we included it for free we would then have to up our pitch fee to include the "free" electric which we don't think is fair for the majority of tents who do not require ehu and a large % of MHs that are happy to do without and the rare caravan that has solar.
We don't charge extra for showers as this is also included in our pitch fee but some could argue they don't use our showers but use the shower in the MH or caravan but from experience I would say these people are in the minority once they see how clean and user friendly our showers are.
I charge a reasonable fee, more in July and August where demand exceeds what we can supply and less off season. I would rather have 5 vans paying €12 each than 2 vans paying €18 (note these fees are based on 2 people in MH without EHU).
For us I would rather be busy than quiet.
From what I've heard from several people Ardmore is a great location and a reasonable charge for what they provide.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #4
You don't have to justify your pricing structure Jamie, I think that is fair, it's when Campsites charge for the likes of putting out your Awning and other stupid stuff that gets to me, well it doesn't , I just boycott them.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #5
Quote by old375

just back from trip around the south,stayed in killarney saturday night in beechgrove campsite and found it best value for money in a while.20 euro for free wi fi,electric and showers.owner is a lovely man.wasnt sure where we would have been on sunday night but found ourseleves back there again.not a problem.told to find a spot and park and the owner would be around in a while.quiet spot nice people there spoke to a guy that was staying there for a couple of weeks and they did him a deal.went to waterford yesterday and decided to try tramore for a spot,one site seemed shut as the gate was closed and the other was residents only so we drove around tramore and on the way back stopped near fitzmaurices the one that seemed shut.i was on the phoen looking for other places when there was a knock on the window.a woman stood there asking if i had knocked at the door of her campsite that she might not have heard me.i said no but have you spaces,yes she said and then i asked how much.32 euro was her answer,needless to say she didnt get my business but im after looking up the site on line now and it is 32 plus another 4 if you want electric.so far on our trip i can recommend lidl for their hospitality as they dont have barriers on their car parks and they made some money from us too.

Hi Mike.
Did you tell her see was to expensive,and thats why you were moving on.

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Roller Team
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #6
I am new enough to camping with an awning, but this awning extra fee particularly annoys me. Was in Westport House recently and though to be fair we really enjoyed it, it was still 5 Euro extra for an awning - would have thought that the fee for the pitch was the fee for the pitch and I am not getting the logic. We do not bring a car with us but they also charge extra if you did, and again I am unsure of the logic behind some of these fees.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #7
Quote by danduffymallow

I am new enough to camping with an awning, but this awning extra fee particularly annoys me. Was in Westport House recently and though to be fair we really enjoyed it, it was still 5 Euro extra for an awning - would have thought that the fee for the pitch was the fee for the pitch and I am not getting the logic. We do not bring a car with us but they also charge extra if you did, and again I am unsure of the logic behind some of these fees.

The logic is GREED!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #8
We don't have an awning. We have a canopy.
Our caravan had an awning.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #9
Devils advocate.
Campsites rely on space if they don't have a Carpark or pitch big enough for MH and car, the extra car may have to go into a pitch.
Awnings, drive away awnings sun rooms, like tents harm grass pitches depending how long they are in place. Canopies don't generally have any adverse effect. So it's not that an awning is taking up more space on the pitch it is the damage they do/can do to a pitch.
It is not un common to charge more for large or super pitches or for larger than average tents.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #10
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Devils advocate.
Campsites rely on space if they don't have a Carpark or pitch big enough for MH and car, the extra car may have to go into a pitch.
Awnings, drive away awnings sun rooms, like tents harm grass pitches depending how long they are in place. Canopies don't generally have any adverse effect. So it's not that an awning is taking up more space on the pitch it is the damage they do/can do to a pitch.
It is not un common to charge more for large or super pitches or for larger than average tents.

A come on Jamie,
It is not that when every Motorhome leave that they buy and roll out new Grass turf where the awning was rolled out, they are pocketing that money. I have no problem with them specifying breathable ground sheets. As far as I can see its the ones that are overpriced to start with are the biggest culprits.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #11
Breathable!!!
Had one here for a week, could not use the pitch for 2.
Awnings and tents can do some damage.
Aldi ground sheet not breathable down for the same time less damage.
I don't charge for awnings but I can see why some might.

old375
My Motorhome: talbot autotrail scout 1992
Base Vehicle: talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2016  ·  #12
i think this country is a pure rip off when it comes to motorhomes.now 20 euro in killarney was grand and would have paid for electric if needed but 32 and another 4 for electric is just ripping people off.i didnt say anything to the woman as she said to drop over when i was ready,doubtful she had many staying if she was desperate to drum up business like that.found a lidl not too far from that and it was fine.did the shopping there as well..for a few euro more you could have a hotel plus breakfast.its like parking what with all the barriers is nearly impossible to park and i find myself moving on to somewhere i can park.found it the same in the uk during the summer.drove around many towns and cities looking for parking only to move on when i couldnt get a spot.they are losing business.

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2016  ·  #13
Hi Jamie,
I understand you are doing devil's advocate and that you are also speaking from experience - but!
I think a couple of times this year we pitched on grass that had previously had another tent or awning on it and obviously the grass was more lightly coloured, but we just pitched on it as instructed by the owner. My guess is the grass has 9 months to recover after the summer - I am guessing they are not going to replace the grass on the pitch with the extra money they get from charging for awnings. Regarding the car, I have never seen a car take up an extra pitch - in my limited amount of camping experience they seem to take up the same pitch, the pitch that the person has paid 30E or more for the night for.
I do accept your point that if you have a larger than average tent you should pay extra to get a larger pitch size, but it still bothers me that you have to pay 3 or 5 euro extra to slap an awning onto a motorhome for a pitch you have already paid for ...

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2016  ·  #14
Quote by danduffymallow

sorry, in that last reply I should have said "Lightly coloured" !

You can edit your post,
Click on the pencil at the bottom of your post :up:

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2016  ·  #15
good tip thanks John - I was on a controlled rant at the time!

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2016  ·  #16
My existing pitches have a Hard standing area around 3m wide by 7 to 10m long. The campsite has a road entrance with bays off it around the edges. The bays are not long enough or wide enough to put a car in aswell as a MH so in my case an extra car goes onto a pitch. Craicers who have stayed here know the layout and will understand.
I have just spent 8 hours getting 2 pitches ready for next year with more top soil, sand, compost and grass seed. And yet I don't charge extra for awnings. I am pointing out that I can see why some campsites do.
The great thing about a MH is you have choices you can vote with your feet (4 tyres) don't want to pay the campsites charges, go to another or wild camp or go a business that is happy for you to park in exchange for your custom, go to an aire.
I don't agree with taking the p*ss or ripping people off. I want people to stay on my campsite and have a great time and feel they've had good value for money.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2016  ·  #17
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

My existing pitches have a Hard standing area around 3m wide by 7 to 10m long. The campsite has a road entrance with bays off it around the edges. The bays are not long enough or wide enough to put a car in aswell as a MH so in my case an extra car goes onto a pitch. Craicers who have stayed here know the layout and will understand.
I have just spent 8 hours getting 2 pitches ready for next year with more top soil, sand, compost and grass seed. And yet I don't charge extra for awnings. I am pointing out that I can see why some campsites do.
The great thing about a MH is you have choices you can vote with your feet (4 tyres) don't want to pay the campsites charges, go to another or wild camp or go a business that is happy for you to park in exchange for your custom, go to an aire.
I don't agree with taking the p*ss or ripping people off. I want people to stay on my campsite and have a great time and feel they've had good value for money.

Well said, Jamie, keep up the good work :up:

omagerry
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2016  ·  #18
well said Jamie stayed with you last year will get back to you next year

reflexsean
Craic'er
Subject:

campsites in tramore

· 
Posted: 23.09.2016  ·  #19
Should of went to newtown couve speciel rate for over 60

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2016  ·  #20
Is there any problem parking at LIDL car parks ...is this true for all LIDLs throughout the country

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.