Gas bottles

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

Gas bottles

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #1
I'm sure this has been covered before so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I went to change my gas bottle at the weekend to be told "it's a German bottle and very hard to find". I've had the van for over a year and it still has the original gas bottle. I always stay on sites and don't use a huge amount of gas. I'm going to France next week though so am in a bit of a panic now. Does anyone know of a place that will swap it for me or refill it - I'm in Kinsale so hopefully I won't have to travel too far.

The guy in the shop said I wouldn't have a problem swapping it in France. Does anyone know if that is the case.

I'll try to upload a couple of pictures of the bottle and regulator.

Thanks
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Gas bottles

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #2
This crowd were mentioned in the past

http://www.corkgascentre.ie/

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #3
Thanks Pat - they were the ones I tried and no joy I'm afraid.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #4
Is it left hand thread on the bottle ?
If so, the Irish propane bottles has the male threaded end too and may fit....BUT
To be safe I would change the regulator to the Red propane type (about €12) and fit 2x Irish propane cylinders. That's my setup and we find a month in France and use about a bottle. We use mostly Aires with the occasional site so we use gas for the fridge and cooking a lot.
Or you could fit a refillable cylinder.... most French service stations have LPG at the pumps.

What day do you sail ?.... We leave on the 11th Sept Rosslare/Cherbourg.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #5
If you're in the wexford area you could try Bensons Coal & Fuel Merchants, Newbay Wexford. Tel 053 9144709. They get their gas in bulk from Calor are qualified to refill and they can fill / refill 95 % of all cylinders or tanks. Their Loc8 code is ZTT 05 WL9 You'll find them here http://www.myloc8ion.com/maps/find_code8 Just enter the code in the box and hit view. :up:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #6
The regulator in your picture is the current 30 mbar standard, so that should not /need not be changed.

As regards the bottle. The 'Irish' red propane bottle will connect to that regulator if the nut at the end of the pigtail is the same thread as this 21.8 LH otherwise it is best to replace the pigtail, this then will enable you to connect Irish, French and other country's bottles.

Contrary to your advice AFAIK in France they won't accept another's bottle, but you can buy a full Total Gaz (which has the same connection as the Irish Calor propane) without paying a charge for not having an empty, I'm not sure how the other brands operate.

Just noticed in your picture that the regulator is directly connected to the bottle so no pigtail is used. The pigtail is only used when the regulator is permanently mounted in the gas locker.
I would first get hold of an Irish Calor red (Propane) bottle and see if your regulator will screw onto it, if it does it's job done. As I said the 30mbar regulator you have is the new standard since 2003 and covers both propane and butane installations, so no need to change it.

Droffats
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Benimar Mileo
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150hp Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #7
Hi! In France last June and went to "Intermarche" supermarket. No problem getting gas without empty. I was charged a €1 deposit on cylinder and €19.95 for gas. Left hand external thread the same as Calor Propane in the Republic.No questions asked e.g. no address etc.

Richard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: pilote referance 690
Base Vehicle: 3ltr Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #8
Maynooth Motorhomes have gray German bottles iff your'e in the area.

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #9
Quote by JJF

If so, the Irish propane bottles has the male threaded end too and may fit....BUT
To be safe I would change the regulator to the Red propane type (about €12) and fit 2x Irish propane cylinders. That's my setup and we find a month in France and use about a bottle. We use mostly Aires with the occasional site so we use gas for the fridge and cooking a lot.
Or you could fit a refillable cylinder.... most French service stations have LPG at the pumps.

Can I fit the regulator myself or does it have to be done by an expert - RGI - comes to mind. The guy in the shop said he could give me an Irish bottle and it should fit but he wouldn't be happy doing that. I assume he is covering himself from a H&S point.

We sail on the 7th Rosslare to Roscoff.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2016  ·  #10
Quote by lookaround

Quote by JJF

Can I fit the regulator myself or does it have to be done by an expert - RGI - comes to mind. The guy in the shop said he could give me an Irish bottle and it should fit but he wouldn't be happy doing that. I assume he is covering himself from a H&S point.

We sail on the 7th Rosslare to Roscoff.

Yes, fitting a regulator isn't a problem. Usually secured with jubilee/hose clip.
Make sure no leaks when done...... If you are not confident then get a handyman/mechanic to sort it for you.
Keep a wrench in the gas locker for changing bottles when you require doing so.
If your locker holds 2 bottles then take them with you.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2016  ·  #11
Have a read of page 2 HERE

The regulator in your photo looks like it need not be changed (unless it's faulty), it's the same as that shown in the bottom right photo on the page.
To me it looks like your only issue is will it screw on to an Irish propane bottle, an easy thing to check. If it does, job done. If it doesn't you need to get one that does.
I have an Irish (Calor Gas) and a French bottle (Total Gaz) and both have the same fitting so I expect the German one is the same.
If you are getting a Calor bottle here but don't have an empty, one can often be found at a re-cycling centre

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2016  ·  #12
I had a German type bottle before changing to Gaslow. Got it filled in Cork, street near Mercy Hospital . If you are going to Rosslare you can get an exchange at Waterford Fuels on the Cork road. The phone no. is 051351200. Better to ring and book it, also check there opening times. Bon Voyage

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2016  ·  #13
Thanks for all the help. I just got it filled in my local gas shop - should have tried there first but I assumed it was going to be a big job so went to the city first.

Shop local!! :up:

Thanks again.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2016  ·  #14
Share the info so that some body else in the same area might use the service :up:

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2016  ·  #15
Quote by lookaround

Thanks for all the help. I just got it filled in my local gas shop - should have tried there first but I assumed it was going to be a big job so went to the city first.

Shop local!! :up:

Thanks again.

Good job. Did you end up fitting a new regulator or use the existing one ?
And did you go for the propane ( red bottle) or butane gas ?

Quote by mad max

Share the info so that some body else in the same area might use the service :up:

Yes, fully agree.

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2016  ·  #16
Sorry of course I should have - Mylie Murphys on Pearse St in Kinsale. They rent bikes, fishing tackle and have a garden section too and they also sell gas.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2016  ·  #17
:up: :up:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2016  ·  #18
Quote by lookaround

Sorry of course I should have - Mylie Murphys on Pearse St in Kinsale. They rent bikes, fishing tackle and have a garden section too and they also sell gas. They just refilled the German gas bottle.

Shhhhhhh :whistle:

303mccann
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

gas bottle

· 
Posted: 07.09.2016  ·  #19
cork gas centre on forge hill kinsale rd used to do them 0214963749

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.