heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

to fit or not

· 
Posted: 09.05.2016  ·  #1
I keep thinking about fitting solar panels but really I need someone to tell me why I need them.
I too have two 110a batteries and as yet have never been anywhere near discharging them even when we were at Peterborough this year so the van didn't move for a few days.
If on site have electric hookup and also we usually go out in the van every couple of days or so thus getting a charge from the alternator.
For people who have motorhomes that they park up for a week or so I can understand the need of a solar panel but with a how we tend to use our van is there any real point.
I going to put this note on a couple of other forums and see what I get
David
:reel:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: to fit or not

· 
Posted: 09.05.2016  ·  #2
If you don't need one then you don't need one, I know I could quite easily do without one but wanted one for those times I was parked at a Music Festival for a number of days with no option to drive.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2016  ·  #3
I think you've answered your own question.
It depends how you use your van. I did 4 months in winter 14/15 without solar but even with regular driving I was still having to stay on campsites to hook up every 3 or 4 days.
This winter same time period with solar and an inverter I didn't need to hook up at all. So for me the solar gave me extra choices. If you wild camp a fair bit or stay in a location without EHU solar extends your options.
We reckon for us it was money well spent and after years without solar we would definitely have solar on our next van.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2016  ·  #4
When I was in the uk I spoke to a well known company based in Wellington, Somerset about solar and the told me get a second leisure battery first, it's cheaper and depending on how I use my van it maybe all I need.
It was enough for how I was using the van at the time.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2016  ·  #5
to open the debate in a different direction, I have/am considering removing one of my leisure batteries, installing solar and creating enough room for a diesel/gas powered heater. I, too, am generally on the move so charging every day, and could use the space the leisure battery takes up.... different slant on things

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2016  ·  #6
Another thing to consider is that a alternator on the engine has the potential to produce between 60 and 140 amps depending on the alternator, whilst the engine is running.
Using a generator to recharge the leisure batteries, no matter if it is 1 kw or 10 kw is usually controlled by the leisure battery controller which usually has an output of 12 -20 amps as it is designed to trickle charge the batteries on hookup, so using the engine rather than a generator should charge the battery much faster than the generator

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2016  ·  #7
Thanks for all the replies.
It didn't really make much sense to me to fit a panel but you know how it is like to have all the "toys"
It would actually be a bit of a problem fitting it on the roof as there is not much room up there.
David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2016  ·  #8
Why not fit either one or two small ones that way you can have the just in case as even one of say 40w would give a little assistance to keeping the battery topped up

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2016  ·  #9
Just to add a wee anecdote to this conversation... :-)... We were in Co Waterford 3 weeks ago, at a quiet beach/parking area not far from Ardmore. When we arrived, there was an older C class merc motorhome parked up. Obviously well loved by the owner. Despite having some character, it was in very good condition. But, as we sat there in the car, admiring the view, I noticed the owner step out of his camper and start looking up at the roof. This triggered my curiosity, so I started paying attention.
He had a small remote in his hand and he was waving it about a bit, pointing it at the roof. Sure enough, slowly but surely, a solar panel started to rise. I initially wondered why his van was parked awkwardly in the parking space, but realised he had lined up his van so the panel would aim at the sun when it was up!

It looked like a DIY assembly as I could see some gutter bolts and other bits n bobs that gave the impression this was not a commercially bought unit.

Some folks are very creative...

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2016  ·  #10
I might have said this before in which case apologies. I saw quite a number of vans in Spain in the winter that had their solar panel mounted to rear of the movable satellite dish, so during the day they used the dish to point the solar at the sun, in the evening the dish was for the TV.
It did not work with a my status aerial.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2016  ·  #11
Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2016  ·  #12
Quote by mark

Some French friends have a system like that on their Motorhome.
Like this
http://www.theoystercentre.co….-65cm.html

Wow nice price you would get a lot of hook ups for that! >_<

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2016  ·  #13
All very technical and getting me slightly worried about this upcoming Scarva Fair gig.
I think I only have one leisure battery and no solar.
Think I might have to bring a big torch and wash with baby wipes. :-/

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2016  ·  #14
If your battery goes flat this weekend, just run your engine for a while (in the afternoon), it charges better than a Generator.

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2016  ·  #15
Thanks again :up:

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2016  ·  #16
I've never thought of solar, but the Rv I've just bought came with one already fitted, so, I've been playing with it a little and I've come to the conclusion that it's brilliant and gives so much more choice. It's a Sunworks system with a 1540mmx660mm panel and a dual controler which means it charges the engine battery and the leisure batteries and has a Sunworks inverter. Thought I'd test it the other day to see how much tv time I'd get, well, having left one of the tv's (a 32" Samsung) on for 3 hours, whilst I did other things, it was still going strong. I'd taken the Rv out from under it's roof that morning, the batteries had been a bit low, and (after being out for about 5 hours) they were showing 12.8v and the sun was coming and going a bit, it was about 4:00pm so the sun wasn't right over head. It gives such choice as, although, when away in France, we hookup on sites, there are shows etc I've been to where that wasn't possible and the gennie, being American, is way too big and very loud. Dunno' what was paid for the system but I'd say, if you go away a lot, then it'd be well worth getting.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2016  ·  #17
Here's a real life experience.

We have 2 X 100 watt panels and a quality MPPT charger/controller feeding 2 X110 amp Banner Energy Bull batteries. We also have a Stirling B2B Charger for charging the batteries when on the move.

In November/December 2014 we visited the Alsace for the Christmas markets,it was generally cold and frosty. Most days the sun shone for a few hours but there were also rainy days.
The night were long and a lot of TV was watched and the lights were on, the heating was also on 24/7 (we used a bottle of gas in six days).
We moved a short distance between towns most days so didn't run the engine that much. Throughout the trip the batteries never let us down.

When in Spain last autumn there were times when the panels were making enough spare power that I could have saved on gas and run the fridge off the leisure batteries, if I had the wiring system in place.

The panels cost me €300 and the MPPT charger/controller about €100 in 2014. The B2B cost about €250 back in 2007

mlane51
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Battery charger

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #18
I am fiittimg a second Leasure battery I have one solar panel 100 watts with fused Mpp3 controller . Would a sterling or equivalent battery charger be a good addition to my power source .

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #19
Don't know about the controller but when fitting 2 batteries they have to be bought as a pair one can't be older or different from the other

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #20
Quote by mlane51

I am fiittimg a second Leasure battery I have one solar panel 100 watts with fused Mpp3 controller . Would a sterling or equivalent battery charger be a good addition to my power source .

As eirebus said, both leisure batteries must be exactly the same, so just adding another to an existing one is not wise.
Regarding your choice of charge controller for the solar panel make sure it's a genuine MPPT controller, expect to pay a decent price, cheap ones are often not the genuine article.

[url=

]SEE HERE[/url] for an example of a quality MPPT unit, it's priced at about €100 CLICK

And, here's the B2B charger I have which will keep your batteries charged, even if only making short runs CLICK

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #21
Think of batteries as water containers that shrink with age, two different tanks will have two different capacities and if they are connected with a hose they will find their own level which could be half the actual capacity.
The same holds true for electrical power, if you buy and connect two different batteries of two different ages then the weaker one will pull the stronger battery down to the same level as itself.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #22
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #23
They’d still need to be paralleled though, despite having dual battery charging. Otherwise you’d end up with two isolated voltage supply circuits with some way of splitting loads. That would be messy, so two paralleled batteries with one solar controller I reckon is the way to go.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.