saor view / free view

trev
Love's the Craic
Subject:

saor view / free view

· 
Posted: 01.02.2016  ·  #1
I'm on the look out for a 12V TV DVD combo. I need to be able to receive the Irish saor view channels.

Does anyone know if a free view tv (Which I think is the UK equivalent) will pick up the saor view channels?
Reason for asking I can only find 1 unit that ticks all the boxes but it's €300 but there's loads of free view equivalents that are cheaper but I'm afraid to take the chance
:up:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: saor view / free view

· 
Posted: 01.02.2016  ·  #2
Free view and soar view are different formats, but if the tv is mpeg4 it will do both as its backwards compatible.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2016  ·  #3
Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2016  ·  #4
Talking of tv's. When on the continent is it possible to retune to another to another satellite, and if it is, is it complicated?

trev
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2016  ·  #5
Quote by Helgahobby

Talking of tv's. When on the continent is it possible to retune to another to another satellite, and if it is, is it complicated?

my basic understanding of this is that Ireland and the uk are very close to the satellites that our dishes point to to pick up the likes of sky. you can see the 4 astra satellites in the sky on a clear night.

as you move more south down through Europe they become further away and require a larger dish and obviously you must move it accordingly if it's not an auto finder.

there was a topic on here last summer where someone documented their reception as they traveled through europe

trev
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2016  ·  #6

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2016  ·  #7
Quote by Helgahobby

It depends on dish size Nick.
The Astra footprint was reduced a couple of years ago making it difficult to receive a signal where it previously had been fine.

We use a snipe which is claimed to be the equivalent to a 60cm dish. It now works fine until on a parallel with Bordeaux. We can receive some channels further south but the regular UK type channels are harder to get.

I have read claims from people receiving the likes of ITV and BBC much further south so I assume they must be using a larger dish.

Our system allows us to select different satellites but I would also need to know the channels I want and I can't be bothered as we go in summer and hardly use the TV. It is possible to retune ours and select a certain satellite or number of satellites but again I haven't tried it and I would be unsure how many English speaking channels there would be.

liz treanor
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2016  ·  #8
hulio
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Bailey 740
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2016  ·  #9
I bought the walker 24 inch 12v tv from power city and they delivered it to n ireland i can get all the freeveiw channels plus the rte channels in enniskillen

JohnDoc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2016  ·  #10
Hi, I got a 10 inch 12v TV with Saorview from Freetv . About 100 euro,no DVD player, but works very well. I have a grundig freesat box plugged into it, also 12v, so full multichannel TV all off grid.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.