Anyone have experience of this type of thing?

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Anyone have experience of this type of thing?

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #1
When we get back from France late August I am considering satellite TV for Freesat. I have no intention of going down the Snipe route or any of those fancy auto set up ones. that is just too expensive.

I have lined up satellite dishes before and can usually get Astra 2 in under 5 minutes using this app (SatFinder) and a sat location meter.

So I would like something mobile that I can mount on the roof and am looking at ones with suction pad mounts like this one.

I know that dish is small, but I will only use this in Ireland so I don't need to pick up Astra 2 in France. Bigger dishes needed for that would be impractical for storage and I don't want any permanent fixtures

Does anyone have any experience of using those suction pad mounts? Any issues with wind or leaving marks?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Anyone have experience of this type of thing?

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #2
I have a 40cm suitcase system I bought in maplin a few years back. It Works fine. Heavy rain or tree branches cause problems with signal strength as the dish is small, but other than that, no probs. It generally stays set in the correct position once aligned. You do have to make sure the surface you're attaching to is clean. I usually attach it to glass.
There's also a c clamp and a U bracket supplied to give you other mounting options.

K

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #3
I had one of hd Aldi ones and had no bother with it, I used the bottom of the Aldi rotary clothes line (tripod) and it folded up small for storage,

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #4
Quote by Pablo

So I would like something mobile that I can mount on the roof and am looking at ones with suction pad mounts like this one.

I have had one practically the same as that for a while, suction pads are great, stays on the roof no problems and have had no adverse effect in winds. Always remove it before driving off.

I hate using it though and would rather put music on when I have to signal than set it up, although I have been thinking of carrying it again, so might give it another go.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #5
Thanks all for the responses .. now I feel confident of going for it.

I already have a set up which streams our home Freesat/Saorview system across the internet into the van, but it is dependent on having a good 4G signal out on the road.. and that's not always available. Plus that is only in SD and can be a bit fiddly/flaky at times. So the satellite will give us all our channels perfectly just like home.

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #6
Pablo your better half says she doesn't care less about a TV on holidays.
Peace and quite is needed and a good charge on the kindle!
:D :D :D

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2016  ·  #7
Quote by Shivster

Pablo your better half says she doesn't care less about a TV on holidays.
Peace and quite is needed and a good charge on the kindle!
:D :D :D

As I said "When we get back from France late August"...

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.