Fiat fuel filters

chuckie
Craic'er
Subject:

Fiat fuel filters

· 
Posted: 27.02.2016  ·  #1
Changed fuel filter twice in the past two years.leaked again two weeks ago had to get picked up by breakdown truck.We were lucky where it happened as engine went dead with little warning, with almost no brakes and no power steering. A letter from a reader in MMM Mag.he also experienced a fright when it happened to him.The hand book says change every 3000 miles, but this time I've taken the advice of the guy in the mag and changed filter complete in housing, and will not change it for the next 75000 miles.(or leave it for the next owner)...By the way the filter complete was about £250 added to the pickup it came to about £300..

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Fiat fuel filters

· 
Posted: 27.02.2016  ·  #2
I have heard this from a friend who had a 2007 ducato, I thought he didn't fit the new filter properly,

Is it the new filter doesn't seal properly or fails inside the first 50 miles?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #3
It happened to me years ago ,had to get towed to garage and the mechanic fitted a Ford filter and housing ,fixed and no problems after

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #4
Does this still happen, fuel filters needing replacing? Even with younger machines?

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #5
Quote by Helgahobby

Does this still happen, fuel filters needing replacing? Even with younger machines?

Nick you always need to change your fuel filter no mater what motor you have. :up:

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #6
Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by Helgahobby

Nick you always need to change your fuel filter no mater what motor you have. :up:

Yes, but how many miles up before the first one. Mind you I don't use the green, that'll help!!!!!!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #7
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by Helgahobby

Mind you I don't use the green, that'll help!!!!!!

Can we take it you are using the Red so, Nick. ;-)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #8
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by Helgahobby

Yes, but how many miles up before the first one. Mind you I don't use the green, that'll help!!!!!!

Diesel is a dirty fuel, no matter if it's green, red or white, a fuel filter will be black when it's time for a service.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #9
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by Helgahobby

R.T.F.M :up:

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.02.2016  ·  #10
DID.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2016  ·  #11
Or DIY

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2016  ·  #12
Quote by TAYLOR.

Or DIY

Is that
Destroy
It
Yourself. :lol: :lol:

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2016  ·  #13
If this is the same filter as the Peugeot and Citreon up in the left hand inner wing with a screw top and body held on with two nuts we have eight of these in the fleet we remove the screw top and sealing ring clean down put a small coating of RTV on where the sealing ring goes fit ring fiter and top before fitting the screw top put a small run of RTV inside the screw cap where it mates the filter housing top and screw down have had problems in the start with leaks ect but since we started sealing them no prods it's just a bit of a pain cleaning them out again when replacing the filter again but better that than leaking Edd

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2016  ·  #14
The Bosch fuel filter is on Hessy and i burn a mix of straight veg oil with no problems over the past 3 year.
I change it every year when i do the oil filter although i changed more frequently when i started using the veg mix as the crap out of the fuel tank and water would have been taken into the system as well as the veg oil mix.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2016  ·  #15
Quote by Hessy Hymer

The Bosch fuel filter is on Hessy and i burn a mix of straight veg oil with no problems over the past 3 year.
I change it every year when i do the oil filter although i changed more frequently when i started using the veg mix as the crap out of the fuel tank and water would have been taken into the system as well as the veg oil mix.

What Ratio of Veg oil to Diesel do you use, Nick? Any trouble starting it?

Scanner
Love's the Craic
Homepage: dgmotorhomes.co.uk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2016  ·  #16
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by Hessy Hymer

What Ratio of Veg oil to Diesel do you use, Nick? Any trouble starting it?

I use around 50/50 in a Mazda Bongo, I have gone as high as 100% in summer and only occasionally had a bit of a lumpy start up.

But it has done 180,000 miles and so far as I know never had the glow plugs changed.

But I'm puzzled by the reference to diesel being "dirty" and turning fuel filters black in just a few miles. I've never seen this, I've just changed a filter on the Bongo that should have been changed ages ago and although a great big clump of veg oil waste came out when I drained it, the actual filter was almost as clean as when it went in.

Now OIL filters are a different matter completely, they soon go black.

PS I wouldn't risk using much, if any, veg oil in anything other than an old school indirect injection diesel like the Mazda.

MAURICE
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2016  ·  #17
edgar I could be doing with your help was in ballina at the weekend and very bad diesel leak at fuel filter and haven't a clue how to fix it 2006 Peugeot boxer compass castaway lol

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2016  ·  #18
Max 50/50 in summer and when it is threatening frost - zero - incase it solidifies and fecks the pipes.
No - havent had any issues starting so far - thank god - although i couldnt stop her once as the cut off valve stayed open due to the rubber expanding with the veg oil.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2016  ·  #19
Quote by MAURICE

edgar I could be doing with your help was in ballina at the weekend and very bad diesel leak at fuel filter and haven't a clue how to fix it 2006 Peugeot boxer compass castaway lol

How did you get on with the filter?

I have heard of 3 others as well as your one since last Saturday,

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2016  ·  #20
In 2014, I had a new OEM fuel filter fitted by a Fiat Professional Dealer and I drove 250+ miles to Clare. By the time I reached Dublin on the return leg, it started leaking horrendously. Fuel gauge started falling, near side wheel lost traction and there was a slippery slick that seemed to stretch for miles. I didn't know what was going on other than a major fuel leak. Was towed to Camac Valley who were really helpful and allowed the tow truck to bring me just inside the gates for the night. The next morning I was towed to a Fiat Professional dealership in Dublin. They didn't have a replacement filter so cleaned the filter seal, turned it upside down, refitted and washed the engine bay for Euro50 (they didn't keep me waiting either). It got me home without leaking and the dealer fitted a new filter. The filter was replaced one year later by a Fiat Professional dealer, no problems - current filter doesn't appear to have Fiat branding on it.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #21
I would bring these complaints to Fiat and see if there is a product recall to occur??

There could be stresses occurring on the material due to the engine vibration or an interaction with the breakdown of the polymer to cause the housing to fracture. Something time only tells? Too many cases to be not common?

Who would be liable if the oil/fuel slick caused an incident or accident?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.