StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Three questions

· 
Posted: 23.08.2015  ·  #1
Thinking ahead to our winter trip and I was considering getting a mifi with a 3 month 3gb card form 3.
Q1, has anyone used this combination in Spain and Portugal and can give feedback good or bad please?
Q2, we will be going for nearer 4 months, so does the three months start from when you first get the card or first use the card?
Q3, we will be using wifi for emails - not heavy use and keeping up to date with the news/weather via google etc, how far to 3gb go will it last 3 months? I won't be streaming movies or downloading movies but maybe downloading books for the kindle.

Any views, tips, advice etc appreciated.
Thanks Jamie
Just found this on 3 website which answer one of the above.
Data Calculator*
How much data will you need?
3GB a month will give you:
Send 3,000 Outlook/HTML Emails
Surf the Web for 30 hours
Download 15 four minute videos
Download 96 four minute music tracks
*Approximate calculation

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Three questions

· 
Posted: 23.08.2015  ·  #2
I used this very system in France for the month of June and used 2.5 gb for email, web pages and weather. The connections were good and reasonably fast and secure. The partner in France was orange.

You need to activate the sim before you go and this starts the clock. I have been told that the 3 sim in the ROI is not the same as the UK one so check what each offers.

We were in killkenny and Cobh last week and I tried to top up online. This was successfull but the 1 gig top up lasted less than 24 hours. This happened twice. I don't know if it was my fault but I intend contacting 3 sometime this week.

I called into the 3 shop in Dungarvan thinking I could buy a southern sim for while we were there but the assistant told me that the sim would not work in the UK 3 mifi and that 3 Ireland and 3 UK were separate companies.

So there you have it. More confusion!

Hope this is of some use to you. Enjoy the trip anyway.

Davy

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2015  ·  #3
While not in a mifi we used both a phone and an iPad on 3 in Spain without problems, both are on contract. I have used the mifi in the past by putting in a sim with 1gb which lasted 30 days, you can get a prepaid one which lasts 12months and has if I recall right around 60gb. When I got the mfi version the guys at 3 said you can only top up in your home country not while abroad and the clock starts from when either topped up or the sim activated. While they are two separate companies north and South the network is the same band width etc.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2015  ·  #4
I am also using a 3 mifi in France.

It works great providing;
You read the setup whole abroad instructions (which many people fail to do). It is very simple.
You use a 3 UK SIM.
You activate your SIM prior to leaving UK.
You connect all devices to it before leaving UK.

Hope this helps.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.