Craic'er
Homepage: digismoke.co.uk
My Motorhome: Kontiki 645
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8jtd
Subject:

Advice needed urgently

· 
Posted: 06.08.2015  ·  #1
I got my current van about 2 years ago and one of the first things i did was fit a solar panel. All went 100% til last weekend i noticed my power readings down lower than usual late in the evening. Checked next morning expecting to see 13v+ on the readout but it was still at 12.1v
On checking the regulator, i noticed that there was no lights at all. Checked for voltage at the solar cables end perfect. Checked the voltage at the batteries end , perfect.
Deduced the regulator was faulty. Ordered a new one and it arrived today ....... still the same, no lights.

The solar panel is an ongrid type so the voltage can rise up to 50-60v in good sunlight. (230watts)
I removed the controller and checked the voltage at the end of the solar cables. 42.8v . A quick test with a 24v bulb showed a very bright light.

The batteries are 4 x 110amp 12v leisure wired with 60amp cable. Tested with a multimeter at the controller end and 12.2 v. Lights a 12v bulb 100%

The only conclusion that i can come to is that the controller i got today is faulty as well????? Is it just absolute sh*t luck or is there something obvious that i am missing?

This is the controller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109…EBIDX%3AIT

Any thoughts appreciated before i get on the phone tomorrow to barge somebody :)

regards
john

John
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: Advice needed urgently

· 
Posted: 06.08.2015  ·  #2
oh aye !!!!!! surely ta f#&! Give the plonker a medal. First rule of 12v is make sure you have a solid 12 + and good earth.
The earth had been pulled in the wardrobe and was hanging on by 1 strand. That was enough to give me a 12v reading on the mm and test bulb but not enough for anything else.
The short run of visable earth and live had been routed down the wall of the wardrobe using the self adhesive cable clips. One of them had come off and a heel had caught in behind (Not mine before you ask !!!) and i reckon that the wonderful roads round letrim a few weeks ago may have been the reason.
Anyhoose, both connections remade, several screw on cable ties and a lot of swearing later, i have power :) ( And a spare mppt 20amp controller just in case)

Regards
John

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2015  ·  #3
Glad you got sorted :)

John
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2015  ·  #4
If i had any hair Ally it would have been pulled out by now lol.

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2015  ·  #5
Quote by John

If i had any hair Ally it would have been pulled out by now lol.

Just put the heels back on and relax :D

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2015  ·  #6
Glad you got sorted,

Lesson learned :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.