Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

CVRT info

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #1
Goo day lads,

I'm fast approaching the due date for my CVRT renewal and since this is my first time, I wanted to get some info from you guys to prepare myself as much as possible:

1) What's the things they check the most / prone to failure?
2) How much in advance should I book my test before the due date?
3) Any recommendations tips for it?

I've been doing general maintenance on the van tackling jobs here and there to make it as presentable as possible, with the idea of giving them the least amount of things to fail me but then again, don't know exactly what they'll be looking for.

Lastly, any recommendations on places to do the test near Cork?

Cheers,
Rami

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: CVRT info

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #2
I've just been through my first. Booking is simple on www.cvrt.ie where you can find the list of test centres.

Prep is much the same as the NCT, check all the obvious superficial stuff, bulbs, wipers, tyre thread depths, etc...

The one thing I did on top of this was empty anything from the van that didn't need to be there because it's usually sailing very close to the wind on the 3500kgs.

The big thing they'll be looking for on an older van will be rot. Mines 2007 and they poked around a lot, but it is a Transit chassis so no harm to have a bit of extra scrutiny ;)

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #3
Quote by <BM>

I've just been through my first. Booking is simple on www.cvrt.ie where you can find the list of test centres.

Prep is much the same as the NCT, check all the obvious superficial stuff, bulbs, wipers, tyre thread depths, etc...

The one thing I did on top of this was empty anything from the van that didn't need to be there because it's usually sailing very close to the wind on the 3500kgs.

The big thing they'll be looking for on an older van will be rot. Mines 2007 and they poked around a lot, but it is a Transit chassis so no harm to have a bit of extra scrutiny ;)

Thanks bud! Luckily my van is very straight and almost rust free except for some surface rust, but you'll see that on any vehicle after a few years of Irish weather.

Did you clean the van underneath before going or just as it was?

Not a bad idea to empty the tanks, etc :) Cheers

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #4
We were curious to know what weight our motorhome, and went to weight station, Loughlinbridge near Banbridge.
You are a bit far away in Cork but how about a commercial one at say Roadstone, they might let you if you ask nicely.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #5
I'm actually not too worry about the weight, should be OK with that :) But I'm pretty sure there's a big truck scale in Ringaskiddy .

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #6
If there's any rip or tear in the drivers seat they could fail you for it, happened me several years ago with a Mitsubishi L300, put an old seat cover on it (they're not allowed to remove the cover). Any holes in the rubber matting at the pedals is another sneaky fail, a squirt of black silicone and spread it around does the job. Any sign of corrosion on hoses, pipes and breaklines could fail you. Good luck with the test.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #7
Public weigh bridges are a thing of the past in the ROI. Most proper builders providers, agricultural coop yards or recycling centers will have weigh bridges and will weigh your van for a small fee.

The previous owner of my van had told me that he had been overweight on the previous cvrt and had to come and do a clear out. It's got a large garage and he had shelved the garage out with plywood, I removed close to 70kgs of plywood permanently.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #8
Gas bottles are heavy too and not needed for test

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Flipperdipper

If there's any rip or tear in the drivers seat they could fail you for it, happened me several years ago with a Mitsubishi L300, put an old seat cover on it (they're not allowed to remove the cover). Any holes in the rubber matting at the pedals is another sneaky fail, a squirt of black silicone and spread it around does the job. Any sign of corrosion on hoses, pipes and breaklines could fail you. Good luck with the test.

Seats are in perfect condition but I also have a waterproof cover on them, should be no issues there.

Good call with the break lines, I'll go over them and make sure they're clean.

Weight wise I'm not concerned really as the van is supposed to be at 2800kg according to the stamp on the engine bay, don't think I have 700kg on top of her even with full tanks of everything.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #10
Only half fill or less with diesel. Also any seat belts fitted will be checked.
check that the safety belts/ buckles are visible and working correctly. In the case of buses and other passenger vehicles you should make sure that you check belts and buckles for all passenger seats.
Wheel hubcaps are removed (in particular where it is not physically possible to otherwise check the wheel nuts) and the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.
Your registration plates are clean and comply with current regulations.
The vehicle is reasonably clean (especially the under body).
** Remember! - The person presenting the vehicle for its test is now required to produce Presenter I.D. in the form of a valid Driving Licence or Passport at the test centre.**

Good Luck with test.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #11
Best of luck in the test!

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #12
Thank you folks, much appreciated!

Any tips on how in advance should I book my test? I think I'm due by the end of may, so logic says that I should be booking something at any time during may of if I need to re-test I'll still have a valid disc to drive around? Is that fair to say?

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #13
Quote by RTV

Any tips on how in advance should I book my test? I think I'm due by the end of may, so logic says that I should be booking something at any time during may of if I need to re-test I'll still have a valid disc to drive around? Is that fair to say?

A vehicle can be tested up to 30 days in advance of the current expiry date.
Taken from here.. http://www.m7vtn.com/what-you-need-to-know

To Check when you're CVRT is due. https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder

A good list of VTN centres here.. http://www.vehicletesting.ie/22/cork.html

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #14
Quote by hymer524

Quote by RTV

A vehicle can be tested up to 30 days in advance of the current expiry date.
Taken from here.. http://www.m7vtn.com/what-you-need-to-know

To Check when you're CVRT is due. https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder

A good list of VTN centres here.. http://www.vehicletesting.ie/22/cork.html

Great info there, thank you!

One last question for you guys... my alternator/battery light comes on up on my dash, although the system is charging and working just fine so don't pay too much attention to it, will that be a failure?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #15
The dash lamp will fail especially if red in colour. Two quick checks, examine the earth cables from battery to body and body to engine, etc. Secondly give the metal body of the alternator a nice crack of a hammer because sometimes the mechanism inside sticks.
Regarding other checks for a test, pay attention to the rubber bushels in the suspension, anti roll bars, wishbone,drop arms , cv boots etc. Since campers do low milage these parts perish.
Best of luck,
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #16
Quote by Thorn123

The dash lamp will fsil especially if red in colour. Two quick checks, examine the earth cables from battery to body and body to engine, etc. Secondly give the metal body of the alternator a nice crack of a hammer because sometimes the mechanism inside sticks.
Regarding other checks for a test, pay attention to the rubber bushels in the suspension, anti roll bars, wishbone,drop arms , cv boots etc. Since campers do low milage these parts perish.
Best of luck,
Malcolm

Right, so I guess I'll have to troubleshoot that damn light and see why it comes up. Checked earth at it seems to be solid, I'll give the alternator some love and see if it makes any difference..

Also checked the belt and tension and they seem to be fine, I'll see what I can do before having to involve anyone there....

Boots and rubbers all around seem to be in OK condition, recently done inner/outer tie rods, rest looks ready to go :)

Cheers bud!

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #17
Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #18
If you have a tow bar on your van , I suggest you remove it unless you have an engineers cert to say it is properly fitted to comply with current towing regulations.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #19
If you have a LHD camper make sure you have ‘Beam benders’ fitted on the lights.
These are need to drive a LHD here.
I failed last year because I didn’t have them.
Good luck!

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #20
Quote by just_manu

If you have a LHD camper make sure you have ‘Beam benders’ fitted on the lights.
These are need to drive a LHD here.
I failed last year because I didn’t have them.
Good luck!

Oooops, just checked when my CVRT is due and it’s up on the 7th of May!!!
Don’t Panic! 😀

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #21
headlight focus is a big one with them, any sign of rust and they will prod about a bit more, wheel bearing play, check tyres for any perishing inner and outer, as another poster said check brakelines flexi and solid. best of luck with the test.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #22
My CVRT is up May 31st. The earliest date I could get the test in Galway was May 28th. This is making me a bit panicky. If it doesn’t pass I will not be able to get it sorted before June bank holiday

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #23
Try a different test centre,

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #24
Quote by mad max

Try a different test centre,

I’ll have to look in to booking earlier. In fairness, the garage I booked into could have given me the week before but I am not in the country then. They are also the garage that took it in for a service last week, we’re down staff numbers due to sick leave, so didn’t get to look at it all of last week. In the meantime they get back to say I need quite a few bits and pieces doing; calipers, break pads, handbrake cable etc. That is also going to take a few more days for parts to arrive. Hassle.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #25
Well.. bit of research on my battery light seems to indicate of a bad voltage regulator. Took the alternator out yesterday and I'll take it to a repair shop today to get it refurbished as unfortunately the regulator is inside the alternator itself.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations and tips!

I did replace the back tyres recently as they were old and started to parish. Hopefully the wheel bearings are not too bad.

Once I get the alternator sorted and I'll book the check and fingers crossed, we'll see what happens.

Cheers,
Rami

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #26
Just booked yesterday for Monday myself... Need to fit beam benders... And have done a refurb on the number repairing a few rust holes. The two worries going in - general rust (always a worry!) and the brake pedal being rock solid when I start up initially!

Good luck with the alternator!

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #27
Quote by killiand

Just booked yesterday for Monday myself... Need to fit beam benders... And have done a refurb on the number repairing a few rust holes. The two worries going in - general rust (always a worry!) and the brake pedal being rock solid when I start up initially!

Thanks, and best of luck on Monday yourself!!! :D

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #28
Mine is due on 29/5. Will get it done next week to give me time if anything needs doing. As previously stated you can get it done up to 30 days before due date and not lose the time. Haven’t booked anywhere yet but usually can get in on the day or if not the next day. Hopefully there will be nothing major found

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

CVRT info

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #29
Quote by killiand

Solid brake sounds like a servo problem, if you pump the pedal when the engine is switched off, you get a hard pedal. so it would seem you have no residual pressure, they usually hold some vacuum when at rest

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2018  ·  #30
TWO THINGS TO NOTE

The results of the service brake efficiency test, like other vehicles in the same EU category, are calculated by a formula which includes the actual weight of the motorhome.
So. for a given condition of the brakes, the heavier the van the lower the efficiency rating produced by the test.
Don't go to the test with a load of unnecessary junk/stuff onboard.

On vehicles with the 'top hat' rear disc/drum brake system, where the drum brake is only used to hold the vehicle stationary while parked, a build-up of rust/debris can affect the efficiency, as measured by the test rollers.
To 'clean' the surfaces, on the way to the test drive a little distance with the parking brake lightly applied, but apply it while the vehicle is stationary (before moving off).

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #31
Quote by baguette

TWO THINGS TO NOTE

The results of the service brake efficiency test, like other vehicles in the same EU category, are calculated by a formula which includes the actual weight of the motorhome.
So. for a given condition of the brakes, the heavier the van the lower the efficiency rating produced by the test.
Don't go to the test with a load of unnecessary junk/stuff onboard.

On vehicles with the 'top hat' rear disc/drum brake system, where the drum brake is only used to hold the vehicle stationary while parked, a build-up of rust/debris can affect the efficiency, as measured by the test rollers.
To 'clean' the surfaces, on the way to the test drive a little distance with the parking brake lightly applied, but apply it while the vehicle is stationary (before moving off).

Good thinking there! I guess I will be unloading a bunch of shite that I normally leave onboard and flushing the water tank, removing the gas bottle as suggested above.

Breaks are actually pretty good on my van considering the size of the thing. And also, I was mentioning to the wife the other day how good the hand brake is, but not taking any risks here.

Hope to get my alternator back today as well and hopefully that red light will be sorted! :)

Amazing advice on this lads, much appreciated!

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #32
I emptied the van as much as possible. I also had it as clean as I could. Being a left hand drive I asked the tester would they fit the benders for me on the day of test and they said that the machine they are now using is very finicky and the only way to guarantee it will pass was to let them do it for me on the day, which they did at no extra cost. It took a while for them to get it right. They were very helpful and I enjoyed being down in the pit with inspector during the visual test. He pointed out where the sump was starting to pit so got that sorted myself at a later date but wasn't bad enough to fail. Good luck with the test.

timcon
Subject:

Cvrt

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #33
You were very lucky with the beam benders in Kilkenny they don't accept them now that the headlight alignment is connected to the computer. I had to buy right hand drive lights before they would pass mine.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #34
I’m pretty sure they can switch from right hand drive to left hand drive on computer. This facilitates all the left hand drive trucks registered in Ireland but working mainly on the continent. You never see them with beam benders on them

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #35
Quote by timcon

You were very lucky with the beam benders in Kilkenny they don't accept them now that the headlight alignment is connected to the computer. I had to buy right hand drive lights before they would pass mine.

Incidentally where did you get them and how much? Half thinking about it but want to see if hassle etc outweighs cost for the years ahead..

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #36
hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #37
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #38
Quote by hymer524

For Anyone that's Interested.. Changes to CVR Test - May 2018 *Southern Ireland*

See Here... Changes to CVR Test - May 2018

What's that go to do with us, motorhomes are not commercial vehicles, they're private passenger vehicles, same as cars, according to EU regulations 😊😊

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #39
Quote by hymer524

For Anyone that's Interested.. Changes to CVR Test - May 2018 *Southern Ireland*

See Here... Changes to CVR Test - May 2018

Thanks Tom, Having Tractors, commercial vehicles and vintage makes me very interested

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #40
Well, went for the CVRT during the week, and failed :(
Front brakes were 82.8% efficient so passed by a large margin to spare, BUT the tester said the discs were worn and they must be replaced. There was a bit of a ridge along the outside, but not that big, so there was a bit of wear.
On the way home from Spain six weeks ago I had no problems coping with 6% down gradients on sections of motorway :-/

I suspect I suffered from the high mileage HGV thought process being applied to my MH which only averages less than 10,000 km per year.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.