Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rimor Europea NG6
Base Vehicle: 2004 Ford Transit 2.4 TDci
Subject:

Athlone - Mullingar greenway

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #1
Hi,
The old rail trail is the plan for this weekend, go out until we're half tired and then come home. The trail starts near Spar in Garycastle, Athlone.
Was thinking of parking there for the day, has anyone done this?
I'm open to suggestions on jumping onto the trail somewhere else too.

Thanks,
Seán

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Athlone - Mullingar greenway

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #2
A few Craicers did some of it last year , Athlone to Moate a quick pint and back again we were staying at Lough ree East campsite very enjoyable day

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #3
I know you can park up at Moate railway station, plenty of parking and you could have a few pints and good food in the Golf Club which is 100 meters from parking area or you could enjoy pubs etc in Moate town all within walking distance.

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #4
Parked for day in the car park outside arhone town stadium, loads of space. Entrance to greenway just around the corner, lovely day out

seanmc
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rimor Europea NG6
Base Vehicle: 2004 Ford Transit 2.4 TDci
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #5
Thanks for the advice, here's how it went for anyone else who might be thinking of a trip.

We started at the Spar at Garycastle (Athlone) and went as far as Dun na Sí park in Moate. There's plenty of parking just down the hill from the Spar and it seems to be put there for people using the greenway, there were plenty of cars with bike racks there when we started and when we finished.
We were towing the young lad (he's still only a toddler) in a trailer so that slowed us down a little. For anyone with young kids, there's swings etc and plenty of space to run around in the park at Dun na Sí, at 12km from Athlone it's probably enough distance for a lot of kids. There's a coffee shop at the park so while kids run the parents can get a coffee and cream buns to go with it. While the café isn't dirt cheap, it's not rip off prices that you might expect in a place like this.

If you're thinking of taking a spin with kids, it's very flat and a great surface so no hills to moan about. For the hot day that it was, Spar were selling 99's, it would have been remiss of us not to have one :)

We stayed at the Lough Ree East campsite on Saturday night, great spot is all I need to say. We did make one huge mistake though, we left the wine at home in the fridge, rookie mistake. Never fear, Liam who was looking after the campsite gave us a bottle. For that gesture alone he'll get our return custom.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.