Destination advice

Daffysparks

Subject:

Destination advice

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #1
Looking for some input here. I am taking a week off in July. Second or third week. I am thinking of heading out of Rosslare as it’s beside me, driving up through Wales and Home via Holyhead. However I know nothing of facilities or overnight free stops in Wales.
Alternatively thinking Belfast to Scotland and back again. Obviously a lot more driving for me then, but I have never been to Scotland, but again no nothing about facilities and stops there. Any one with knowledge would be good to hear from
Thanks

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Destination advice

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #2
There is a uk version of the app (I have not used it) so you will have a choice

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #3
Only on android at present,

All motorhome stopovers but 90% with no reviews yet.

Motorhome Parking GB

https://play.google.com/store/…ritain.map

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #4
Thanks for that, but I’m like the good Reverend..,, Apple..... because it works 😂😂😂
Why isn’t everyone convinced 😩😩

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Daffysparks

Why isn’t everyone convinced 😩😩

Been there🤐..........wont be there again

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #6
Have you thought about getting the Bri stops book have used it myself very good does Scotland England and Wales and I know you won't need it but it does Ireland to Edd

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #7
Daffysparks, we have been twice to UK, first time arrived at 2am in port , researched beforehand, laybys had height barriers and Tesco though 24 hr, phoned manager from home, he said personally he wouldn’t mind but barrier computerised and time limit on parking. We did find somewhere to park free, not sure if I still have details.

Two years ago we bought Britstops book in advance, about £30, display an annual sticker.
even ACSI discount won’t be any use in July.

TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #8
aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #9
Searchforsites is your best bet. It has everything from big sites to lay-bys. I’m Apple too so can’t get ‘our’ app.

I have had Bitstops the last 2 years but won’t bother next year. Had two shite experiences over Easter and will stick with searchforsites in the future.

Regarding your specific query; I live in Scotland and visit outlaws in Wales a fair bit. Ireland is well ahead of the Britain in terms of Aires/official stopovers but so long as you pre-plan you’ll be fine.
A lot of places have ‘no overnight’ signs, but in my experience so long as you keep everything inside the van you get no hassle.
I also use Caravan club certified locations a lot. Normally £10-15 for a night with power and water/waste. It’s about £50 per year to join so maybe not worth it unless you’re making more than one trip a year.
The big caravan club sites get stick for being overly regimented but I like knowing that I get the same high standards no matter where the site is.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #10
Agree with both suggestions ,1 the app and 2 searchforsites. The UK is not very motorhome friendly anymore due to the amount of vans turning up and staying for weeks on end. North wales and Anglesey in particular is one, I used to go regular but no overnight parking signs everywhere now. I am a member of the Caravan and camping club and use their holiday sites which are located all over the UK usually under €10 and provide facilities. Another one worth looking at off season (maybe not much good in July) are the Haven holiday sites I have 2 booked in Wales in May (less than £10 a night including facilities and passes to the entertainment etc.) and one in June in North Yorkshire.
Heres a site which I haven't used but seems to have quite a few stopovers on it (don't think it is related to the big forum in the uk)
http://www.wildcamping.moonfruit.com/home/4563550201

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #11
Now don't take anything I say as Gospel for I know nothing.

Try visitscotland.com and look at their north coast 500 promotion.

Scotland has a "right to roam" policy and seems to be more welcoming to off campsite park ups.

Any road I'm going to give it a lash outside of the midge season.

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #12
This might be useful
http://www.salopleisure.co.uk/…wales/3062

We have often stayed at car parks in Dyfed overnight.
You can stay overnight free for one night in a camper in any of their car parks...
Just remember to pay in the morning!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #13
Thanks everybody. Some great advice there. I may do my homework now and pick a destination

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #14
myself and sue are heading out from rosslare to pembroke on 13th july,friday, at 20.45 arriving at pembroke at 00.45, and heading to Tintagle.

The plan is to drive for about an hour, stop at one of the motorway service stations for about an 2 hrs, free, then continue on to Tintagle and chill out for the day.
There is a car park you can park in for a couple of pounds for the day.
Next day we do a spin to port isaac for the doc martin tour, then later that day head to Blue Anchor in Somerset.
We then head to Stratford upon avon for a day, or 2 if needed, staying in a car park there, or a bit further out on a site.
We then head up to the Cotswold for a night, and then Carnarfon for a night or 2, and back to Holyhead for the 21st ferry home to Dublin port.
Any pointers would be appreciated as this is our first trip abroad.
Cheers
I am using a couple of apps/sites, including our own uk app, to find places to stay.
One of them Wildcamping poi lists places to park, urban and country, toilets, places to empty your tanks and fill with water.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #15
Quote by aria

I have had Bitstops the last 2 years but won’t bother next year. Had two shite experiences over Easter and will stick with searchforsites in the future.

Must admit we are Caravan Club (now Motorhome and Caravan Club) and tend to use mostly their sites or CLs

With regard to Britstops you should report this back to them, they did (maybe still do) offer a years sub for recommending a new site and maybe they might do the same for advice for duff one, they do go and inspect when they get a damming report as it is bad for business.

David

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #16
We have been to some of those places two years ago, think maybe you mentioned you were planning this trip for this year and I commented.
In town at Tintagel we parked in car park think you can pay to stay overnight...think we were booked in a campsite and just out for the day. I visited an interesting museum King Arthur style on Main Street and my husband went down to Castle.
In Port Issac we parked on the way into it on a flatter area and walked down the narrow roads to harbour.
In Stratford on Avon you can park at racecourse if no races on and walk into the town along the river.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #17
Quote by R&N

We have been to some of those places two years ago, think maybe you mentioned you were planning this trip for this year and I commented.
In town at Tintagel we parked in car park think you can pay to stay overnight...think we were booked in a campsite and just out for the day. I visited an interesting museum King Arthur style on Main Street and my husband went down to Castle.
In Port Issac we parked on the way into it on a flatter area and walked down the narrow roads to harbour.
In Stratford on Avon you can park at racecourse if no races on and walk into the town along the river.

thats our plan in a nutshell Rosemary, I noticed there are about 3 car parks in Tintagel costing 2 or 3 pound for the night.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #18
Well have decided on Scotland and booked the ferry for Saturday 7th. Will head up on Friday stop over near Belfast and then hope to head for Loch Lomond, Loch Ness Inverness then maybe back through Edinburgh Glasgow Am I trying to fit too much in, in a week ??? Any thoughts. I don’t want to be on the go non stop. Well I wouldn’t mind but swmbo like it more leisurely. Cheers

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #19
I've been 3 times already this year. With and without the Motorhome.
2 more trips already booked for June and July.

My best two sites are

https://www.invercoe.co.uk

http://www.broomfieldhp.com

First is in my favourite place in the world. Second place is unreal, but very far up north.

In June I'm doing a few days in Glencoe (first one), then a few days in Ullapool (second site) before returning to first site again.

You could do worse.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Destination advice

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #20
Quote by Betty Swollocks

I've been 3 times already this year. With and without the Motorhome.
2 more trips already booked for June and July.

My best two sites are

https://www.invercoe.co.uk

http://www.broomfieldhp.com

First is in my favourite place in the world. Second place is unreal, but very far up north.

In June I'm doing a few days in Glencoe (first one), then a few days in Ullapool (second site) before returning to first site again.

You could do worse.

What are the ferry costs like ,which route? There are a few of us planning a trip to the Isle's ,but I'm thinking of driving.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #21
Quote by Daffysparks

Well have decided on Scotland and booked the ferry for Saturday 7th. Will head up on Friday stop over near Belfast and then hope to head for Loch Lomond, Loch Ness Inverness then maybe back through Edinburgh Glasgow Am I trying to fit too much in, in a week ??? Any thoughts. I don’t want to be on the go non stop. Well I wouldn’t mind but swmbo like it more leisurely. Cheers

plenty of wildcamping on that route but if you prefer campsites here are a few i have used
http://www.linnhe-lochside-hol…e-pitches/
they also accept ACSI cards.
https://www.campingandcaravann…nessshores
great site on the banks of Loch Ness (you can see Nessie from here)
http://www.brinherbnursery.co.uk/
5 van site close to inverness but not a lot about.
Around Glasgow and Edinburgh you can stop at The Falkirk wheel and The Kelpies (use the smaller car park as boy racers use the larger one)
https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/falkirk-wheel/
http://www.thehelix.co.uk/

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #22
That’s brilliant. Would prefer wild camping but obviously a few sites for servicing the van will be needed. Then again I have Acsi on jjf input, so that’s all looking good. Thanks

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #23
If you have the time it is worth heading to Glencoe then continue up towards the ski resort,the views going up the valley are unbelievable and there are other sports going on there at that time of the year also overnighting is very welcome.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #24
As I say I have a week. I have never been to Scotland before, therefore I have no idea of travel times. I am long enough in the tooth now to know time spent driving, don’t necessarily equate to kilometers,,oops miles over there😳 covered, so I have no idea if I am trying to cover too much ground in a week, or indeed maybe to little. Doubt that though.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #25
Quote by Daffysparks

As I say I have a week. I have never been to Scotland before, therefore I have no idea of travel times. I am long enough in the tooth now to know time spent driving, don’t necessarily equate to kilometers,,oops miles over there😳 covered, so I have no idea if I am trying to cover too much ground in a week, or indeed maybe to little. Doubt that though.

We spent about a week at Easter past with friends and covered a fair bit up the West coast including Fortwilliam,Oban,Lochlomond,Glencoe and Mallaig though not necessarily in that order.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #26
Alright. Were you flat out or just mooching along. Herself is a bit of a moocher, me, I’d be gone around twice in a week 😜😜

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #27
Absolutely just mooching along ,no hurry and lots of lovely views to take in.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #28
Quote by sprinter

What are the ferry costs like ,which route? There are a few of us planning a trip to the Isle's ,but I'm thinking of driving.

Belfast to Cairnryan, Stenaline.

£89 each way for Motorhome and driver up to 10M

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2018  ·  #29
Ok cheers. I’ll have a lookee see at all that. All sounds good
Thanks for that

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Destination advice

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #30
Quote by Betty Swollocks

Quote by sprinter

Thanks.
That's not bad,a few friends are planning a trip to the isle's, but I'm thinking of taking the slow route in the van and then meet up.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #31
€250 in July each way. A bit more than €89 😫😫

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Destination advice

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #32
Quote by Daffysparks

€250 in July each way. A bit more than €89 😫😫

And they really value their customers.they bend over backward to facilitate them and as for the great deals.
when in relality then bend them forward in order to shaft them.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #33
Quote by Betty Swollocks

I know of no one who has managed to get that advertised price.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #34
Aye. There was nothing remotely like that when I was looking it up.
Would there generally be much congestion heading to Belfast port on a Saturday morning. Our ferry is at 11:30, just trying to figure out timing from overnight stop

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #35
Guys, I don’t know what you are searching but I’m sitting on my phone searching now.
Motorhome up to 10m, driver only £89-£114 each way on July.
Motorhomes at same price as a car

I’m taking family and tow car return in July with a tow car. Cost me £216 return and I’m sticking the wife and kids on as footpassengers as they had a deal for £10 a head return which was a bit cheaper than driving them on.

I’m also away in June by myself and the night time sailings came in at £169.50.

I will try to stick up the screenshots of my phone showing the £89 price I’m getting currently

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #36
Which ferry line is that

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #37
Quote by Betty Swollocks

Guys, I don’t know what you are searching but I’m sitting on my phone searching now.
Motorhome up to 10m, driver only £89-£114 each way on July.
Motorhomes at same price as a car

I’m taking family and tow car return in July with a tow car. Cost me £216 return and I’m sticking the wife and kids on as footpassengers as they had a deal for £10 a head return which was a bit cheaper than driving them on.

I’m also away in June by myself and the night time sailings came in at £169.50.

I will try to stick up the screenshots of my phone showing the £89 price I’m getting currently

Fair play. I have never known anyone to get their advertised offer. Have you booked and confirmed, did it stay the same?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #38
Oh I see it. Sorry. Well mine says €205 flexi is €215.

How 114 pounds becomes €205 is a bit of a mystery 🤔

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #39
Ally, yes, two separate crossings booked in mid March for June and July trips.

I just checked online now and am still getting them at the same price just now.

Daffysparks, try going onto stenaline.co.uk website as those discounts are obviously in sterling only.

******** I know someone posted the VROOM discount code. I had used this and it gave an extr 15% off. I thought it had expired, but I checked and it is still live, prob until the 30th April. This brought my previous posted prices down from £89 to £76.25*******

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #40
Just stuck some dates in just now and got this with VROOM

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.