petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Dolmen insurance post brexit

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #1
Just got my renewal quote from Dolmen and one of the new amendments is that post brexit they may have the right to change'' UK ''addressed policies over to axa uk in place of axa IRL .This change may take place in march 2019,also if I want to avail of the quote £297 I will have to forward a copy of my main vehicle insurance otherwise the quote will rise to £508. Just wondering has anyone else received a similar request at renewal this year?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Dolmen insurance post brexit

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #2
Yes, I got that also. The price is up roughly £20 on last year, the main vehicle insurance bit is a condition of having the Dolmen scheme by way of proving your motorhome is not your primary vehicle

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #3
Yeah we got it too.
As John says, the car insurance was always part of the agreement.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #4
Yes I got my renewal earlier tonight. I have not read the specifics of terms and conditions. I too have to provide a cert of insurance on my car policy to avail of their cheaper second vehicle option which is also £297.

I have to say I am very pleased with that as I had a claim in 2016 which pushed last years premium up to £470 or there abouts. I was expecting it to still be quite high this year, so very happy, especially since a test quote with another company was still about £450 for the coming year.

I had been wondering what the base price was, they used to quote a single amount for all comers irrespective of value or age of van, but don’t see it on the site any more. I guess £297 is it.

Davy

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #5
Just renewed mine at £257 with Dolmen.
I reduced it by putting my access up to £500, as I wouldn't claim below that.
Think it's always better to have no claims when you shop around for any ins.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #6
Thanks for the replies ,I've been insured with them for about fourteen years and this is the first time since the first year that I have been asked for my car policy details.Its the brexit thing that i'm curious about,phoned axa ni once before to ask about camper insurance and was told they dont do it. Maybe they will be doing it after brexit.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #7
According to the straw poll on the forum, of the 530 members who voted, some 181 are in the Uk. Whilst not scientific and accepting that this does not indicate those who insure with Dolmen, it would seem that a similar scheme might be viable. Time will tell.

Davy

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #8
Yea got the request for copy of private car insurance.
I also was asked to furnish copy of payment receipt to comfirm payment of private car insurance. I rang them and asked why they wanted copy of receipt as surely a copy of the policy was conclusive. I was told they only wanted copy of policy.
Franco

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #9
That happened us too we have been with them for17 years and they never needed proof of car insurance before

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #10
As a newbie to the world of Motorhomes and ticking on for our first renewal, Dolmen would not send out the insurance cert last year until they got a copy of my private car insurance cert which was a bit of a PITA because my car renewal is a few days after the Camper policy started so they wanted the new cert.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #11
Quote by <BM>

As a newbie to the world of Motorhomes and ticking on for our first renewal, Dolmen would not send out the insurance cert last year until they got a copy of my private car insurance cert which was a bit of a PITA because my car renewal is a few days after the Camper policy started so they wanted the new cert.

I uploaded mine to them last night,hope it does them okay as my car policy has only a few weeks left to run also.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #12
As some one who only took out our first mh insurance in September 2015, we were requested to send in our car insurance cert along with a engineering report on our mh.
The engineering report was because our mh had not been insured with Dolmens before and we were new customers. Since we had purchased from a dealer, I kicked the engineering report to him and it was taken care of.
Malcolm

fairytreehouse
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #13
Yeah
I was the same I'm insured with them for about 6 years and I was asked for my car insurance, they told me they do this from time to time, I thought it was a bit odd.

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #14
I renewed with Dolmen in December and wasnt asked for anything so reading this with interest, Think we have been with dolmen for around 8 years now

Smiddytheman
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2018  ·  #15
Got my renewal with Dolmen last week, and same as last year, which was my first with them, they wanted to see my private car insurance cert, and proof of exclusive use of a car, and proof of no claims. I thought this was because my other vehicles are all on a traders policy, which are registered on the MID database, and insured for my wife and myself, but now it seems everyone is being ask for proof that they also have an other vehicle running with insurance cover.

Don't fancy using my MH as an everyday vehicle though!!

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #16
When Brexit first mentioned I said in a post what will happen people in NI with Dolmen insurance.
In 2014 my son was home from NZ for 3 weeks and he wanted to drive MH and we have open insurance and he is over 30. He now has NZ driving licence / insurance and his Irish driving licence had expired. Dolmen told as he hadn’t an European licence not insured.
There was no problem with him being briefly insured in our car.

I know for Dolmen insurance you have to have your own insurance on a car.
Is it only NI members, since less than 12 months to Brexit that are being asked to show evidence of their car insurance?

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #17
A slightly different topic but Dolmen related
We were talking to another MH owner on topic if the driver is unable to drive where you require through insurance someone else to drive. If others travelling with you are on the policy they are expected to drive. I have never driven the MH. I think at one time husband main driver and my sister and I were other named drivers, but I think we now pay a bit more for open drive. My concern is for when only two of us are abroad. Has anyone had that experience?

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #18
I wouldn't get concerned about some of the daft emails that Dolmen send out at renewal .
This years example.

EMTC - Need two letters -
Camper <camper@dolmen-insurance.ie>
Tue 20/03, 12:21

Hi William,
Thank you for your email.
In order to avail of the lower premium, we need a letter from the employer stating that you have full and exclusive use of a certain vehicle (Including weekends).
We also require a letter from the insurance company stating that there have been no claims on this policy.
Regards,
David Riggs
Camper Team

What employer when I am down as retired ?
I went online and renewed, then sent a photo copy of my car policy and club membership.
No need for any letters ??

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #19
Quote by R&N

I know for Dolmen insurance you have to have your own insurance on a car.
Is it only NI members, since less than 12 months to Brexit that are being asked to show evidence of their car insurance?

No,I don't think so as some of the southern Ireland members have been asked to furnace a copy of their car insurance also.Probably just tightening up the requirements.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.04.2018  ·  #20
There are other insurance companies out there so why not start showing them that competition exists .

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.04.2018  ·  #21
I found Stuart’s to be more or less the same price as Dolmen, Adrian Flux refused to quote 7nless I had a tracker fitted to the van, Comfort don’t do Northern Ireland and at that 8 gave up and renewed with Dolmen

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.04.2018  ·  #22
Am I missing the point here. Surely it’s no big deal to furnish them with proof of your main vehicle insurance.... that is the terms of getting the group insurance after all

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.04.2018  ·  #23
Yes, we had to show them our Car Insurance when we first took out Motorhome insurance with them Eight years ago. There was only a few weeks left on the Car Insurance and they demanded to see the following years Car insurance as well.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #24
I furnish them with my bike cover as I'm not a policy holder on a car. They're happy enough to accept that too!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.