Oldblowin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner Ixeo 585
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Multijet 130
Subject:

Spare Wheel Carrier

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #1
Like others I’ve talked to and seen posts from here and elsewhere, I'm wasn’t keen to rely on the puncture repair gunk and compressor provided by Burstner and wanted to carry a spare wheel in our Ixeo Time it 585. There's not much room in the locker of our Ixeo and I didn't want that much weight (around 25 kg) on the roof, so I decided to fit a spare between the chassis rails forward of the rear axle. I ended up spending more than I expected (€330) but think it's worth it for the peace of mind.

I bought a second hand 15" rim and virtually new tyre advertised on MotorHomecraic for €60 (thanks Marian and Ronnie!). I found a genuine Ducato (post-recall) spare wheel carrier on e-bay. This was as new (removed from a new van chassis by a coach-builder - ironic given I was now putting it back on a chassis from which one had been removed by Burstner!). I also sourced the winding tool from e-bay. The two items together came to the sterling equivalent of €70. The most expensive part of the project was to have a local garage (JR Motors of Ballydehob) make up a chassis-member to take the spare carrier and an out-rigger to take the winding mechanism and bolt these onto the chassis. Jason of JR Motors decided to run the new chassis-member fore and aft to avoid the need to reroute the brake pipes running along the inside of the near-side chassis rail. He also decided to use bolts and captive nut inserts rather than weld to avoid risk of damage to the floor. He did a great job and made sure that the winding mechanism was easily accessible from the side of the van and that the raised spare was snug against the new chassis-member and the two hard polystyrene pads he fixed to the floor to avoid any movement when on the road. As you will see from the photos the spare is not flush with the underside of the floor but there is still 10" (25 cms) ground clearance with the van lightly loaded so I think we're good to go.

PS Have uploaded 5 photos but not sure they are attached so may have to edit this post
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Liked by: Elvis the Cat

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Spare Wheel Carrier

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #2
Nice job!

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #3
That's legit, nice one!

Don't forget to put some gloves on your toolkit, that'll be ultra dirty when you need it :P

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #4
A job well done

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #5
Nice neat job. Well done.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #6
Nice one!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2018  ·  #7
Looks a good job. I carry my spare inside in a locker a bit forward. I wasn’t keen in crawling below the van. I’ve taken the carrier off so have saved a few kilos to the rear

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #8
Looks the Biz alright, In the last 8 years of Motorhoming we never once removed a spare wheel from its cradle in any one of the Two Motorhomes that we owned and I wouldn't fancy trying to remove one if a rear wheel was punctured, you would definitely need to jack it up and use axle stands for safety before creeping under the van. Some people without spare wheels just carry a spare tyre and get the breakdown man to fit it on the side of the road if needed, I think that is the option I would go for, it also frees up payload capacity not carrying a wheel rim and cradle.

Oldblowin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner Ixeo 585
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Multijet 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #9
Quote by TommyS

Looks a good job. I carry my spare inside in a locker a bit forward. I wasn’t keen in crawling below the van. I’ve taken the carrier off so have saved a few kilos to the rear

Thanks TommyS. Unfortunately we don't have much room in the locker and the spare would be wedged against the locker door so decided to put it underneath. Hopefully I'll never need to use it and if I do someone else will be hauling it out!

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #10
I carry my spare on the bike trailer as I always take it to the continent with me as my new motorhome doesn't come with a spare just one of those stupid kits and in France if you ruin a tyre they will only fit the same size make and tread pattern on the same axle so you will have to stay there until they get a new tyre or fit two new ones.Now don't shot the messenger this is what I was told by two French motorhomers about three years back and I didn't really care then as I had a spare below that motorhome but things have changed and I'm not taking a chance we'll not in the continent really so mybe someone knows different lol Edd

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Spare Wheel Carrier

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Edgar

I carry my spare on the bike trailer as I always take it to the continent with me as my new motorhome doesn't come with a spare just one of those stupid kits and in France if you ruin a tyre they will only fit the same size make and tread pattern on the same axle so you will have to stay there until they get a new tyre or fit two new ones.Now don't shot the messenger this is what I was told by two French motorhomers about three years back and I didn't really care then as I had a spare below that motorhome but things have changed and I'm not taking a chance we'll not in the continent really so mybe someone knows different lol Edd

Just carry a spare tyre, not the whole wheel, then you will always have a match and the tyre won't take up as much room.

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #12
Yes it's ok to carry a spare tyre but getting a tyre centre to fit a tyre you didn't buy there can be a problem at times and if you have to wait on the breakdown truck out in the wilds somewhere a spare would be great and you can get the wheel fixed when you like also with my luck it would be when I was going for the boat and in the middle of nowhere but all to their own Edd

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #13
They are a good job and we had one under our autosleeper, I also bought a spare which is lying about in the garage as we dont need it now with the new Hymer , spare wheel sits in camper garage now.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.