Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Re: Northern Ireland couple drugged and robbed in France

· 
Posted: 09.12.2017  ·  #41
I was talking to a 'traveller' type (Caravan User Non Tourist) on the ferry from France last month and he told me of some of his family who had parked in a motorway aire and two articulated lorries had parked beside them. They were broken into but disturbed the burglar as one of them had got up to go to the loo.

The two Eastern European lorries drove off a short time later and they are convinced the lorry drivers were responsible.

Although not exactly the same as your report, it would suggest the lorry input is one thing to avoid.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2017  ·  #42
Personally I use the motorway ones for certain things, fuel and brief rest stops, as for sleeping I head for a town or village to locate an Aire or a recommended safe parking, having travelled both by car and motorhome the motorway services have never felt right to me to put the head down and sleep.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2017  ·  #43
Further to my bleathering I also carry the following in the van and usually leave out at night
Small heavy cast iron frying pan. (Good for doing the bacon in the morning)
3 cell mag light. (Good for illuminating the van)
5ft bamboo cane with point on end. (Good for dislodging items stuck on the roof)

If anyone can think of anything else I could use them for feel free to let me know

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2017  ·  #44
A good hurl ( for a bit of a puck about while you're waiting for the rashers to crisp up )
A CO2 fire extinguisher ( if the full force of the CO2 coming out doesn't have the desired effect you can try beating it out with the empty cylinder ) :-)

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2017  ·  #45
A 22" hand saw in case you need to do any carpentry.
But dont swing it around indoors, if someone puts their hand out they could lose a few fingers.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2017  ·  #46
Those all sound good except the saw. Every time I pick one up I cut myself or my trousers

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2017  ·  #47
Tonight i stumbled upon this quote on another website and it confirms what i have always believed about motorhomers getting gassed.

The Royal College of Anaesthetists issued a statement in 2016 amid claims that Britons were being gassed and burgled in motor homes and now the robbery of Jenson Button claiming gassing is in the news, it is repeated here.

It read: "Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth."

"It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time."

"If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice."

They went on to say that the quantity that would be needed to fill a motorhome would require a tanker full and the significant cost would far outweigh the advantage of the robbery. They also said that the administering of the necessary volume of an uncontrolled anaesthetic agent would mean the possibility of killing the victims.

On a personal note, I am unaware of any death being reported as a result of gassing the occupants of a motorhome or caravan.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2017  ·  #48
Quote by ntg

Tonight i stumbled upon this quote on another website

:shock:

forum/xt.php?p=lexicon_show&post_id=9

;-)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2017  ·  #49
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2017  ·  #50
Not sure if it’s a myth.
My wife’s firmly believes that gassing does take place, even states it happened to her.

I didn’t tell her that I had a lamb vindaloo, pilau rice with a side order of samosas all washed down with a lash o pints...!

She may be right about the gassing, even to the point that I may have been taken advantage of during the night as my rear end felt like it was in a blast furnace !

Be careful out there folks !

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2017  ·  #51
Those Vindaloos sure can reek havoc :happy:
Poor wife

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2017  ·  #52
Maybe they cant :shock:

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #53
Spoke with a couple from England last week who had been robbed last year. They were of the opinion that they were not gassed. They were in a Hymer A Class and entry was made via the passenger door. They had money taken but the credit cards were left. We agreed that these people are professional and are no different to the ‘creeper ‘ burglaries at home

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #54
Lorry driver is GASSED by robbers who knocked him out with 'general anaesthetic' while he slept in his cab - before stealing £70,000 worth of equipment from his trailer in horrifying new theft tactic sweeping Britain
Carl Bartlet was asleep when incident happened in Walsall industrial estate
Stunned driver, 26, woke up feeling 'sick' and was told lorry had been broken into
Father-of-three showed symptoms of being gassed by general anaesthetic
Spokesman for Road Haulage Association said incident isn't a first.

By VICTORIA BELL FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 18:29, 24 March 2018 | UPDATED: 22:35, 24 March 2018

A lorry driver was gassed while sleeping in his cab before thieves stole more than £70,000 worth of equipment from his trailer.

Carl Bartlet was asleep in his vehicle on a Walsall industrial estate in the West Midlands when he was woken by a man who told him the lorry had been broken into.

Mr Bartlet, who woke feeling dizzy and sick, was stunned to discover his lorry had been slashed open by thieves who fled with dozens of gas regulators.

Beginning to feel worse, the 26-year-old went to hospital where he was told he had symptoms of being poisoned by an unknown gas.

It is not yet clear how the gas entered his cab, however it is suspected it might have been through the night heating system.

The father of three, who been driving lorries for the past four years to provide for his family, including his 10-week-old daughter, is now 'scared' to spend nights in his vehicle.

Bartlet had been woken up by a man who told him that his lorry had been broken into. He was 'stunned' to discover that the side of the vehicle had been slashed +3
Bartlet had been woken up by a man who told him that his lorry had been broken into. He was 'stunned' to discover that the side of the vehicle had been slashed

Mr Bartlet said: 'When I woke up I felt dizzy, and it got worse. I started feeling quite sick but I thought it was because of what happened.

'The nurse at the hospital said I had the symptoms of being gassed and the gas they used may have been an anaesthetic gas.'

He added: 'It was terrible and it has put me off - I have put lots of time and effort to learn how to drive a lorry but I feel scared now about spending the night out.

'I have three children and that's why I work so many hours. I do it for them.'

Tony Singleton, owner of Singletons Transport, the haulage firm Mr Bartlet works for, said: 'It's not always easy to find somewhere safe to park but something has to be done now.

It is not known how the unknown gas entered his cab, however it is suspected it might have been through the night heating system. The thieves fled with £70,000 worth of gas regulators +3

Singleton said that it had happened to drivers before and stressed the importance of drivers having the right to feel safe in their job.

According to hauliers and drivers, gas attacks are becoming more and more common with crooks are targeting overnight rest stops used by long-distance drivers up and down the country for the crime.

According to reports, the thieves wait until the driver is asleep before spraying commonly available motoring products into the cab through vents or slightly open windows.

Police say this can act like an anaesthetic and throw the sleeping driver into a much deeper slumber, incapacitating him for several hours.

When the driver does eventually wake up he will feel groggy and suffer a severe headache but have little or no recollection of the attack.

Drivers have fallen victim to attacks in South Yorkshire, Northampton and the Midlands.

Mr Singleton said he will meet with the Road Haulage Association (RHA) on Monday.

A spokesperson from RHA said there had been a number of similar incidents and added: 'The RHA urges hauliers to remain vigilant.'

West Midlands Police are investigating and urging witnesses to call 101, quoting 20WS/58590T/18.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #55
Fact is most who get robed are elephants trunk and dont wake up till morning.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #56
Why is it that the media never seem to get to report these incidents? There always seems to be a significant amount of money involved,and it is always this gas.
Rant over but please produce the evidence and we will all take this more seriously.
To much vino is the most likely scenario,fraud is the other.
That is my opinion as someone who has travelled quite a bit but never left my cash or passport or jewellery in the front seat.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #57
I can’t speak for others but our incident had nothing to do with drink or fraud. The insurance paid out a pittance of the money taken. We were not gassed and the police sent us a sheet with the names and partial addresses of approximately 40 other victims. After the incident we did not sleep well in the van for ages. Trust me it is a very harrowing experience. I have spoken with two other people that have been robbed and they have said the same thing. People say they have been gassed because they cannot believe that it could have happened any other way

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2018  ·  #58
Quote by TommyS

I can’t speak for others but our incident had nothing to do with drink or fraud. The insurance paid out a pittance of the money taken. We were not gassed and the police sent us a sheet with the names and partial addresses of approximately 40 other victims. After the incident we did not sleep well in the van for ages. Trust me it is a very harrowing experience. I have spoken with two other people that have been robbed and they have said the same thing. People say they have been gassed because they cannot believe that it could have happened any other way

Yes gassing is a load of bollocks just ask.any hospital annesitist. Impossible to work out the campers body weight the volume of the van plus all the ventilation in the van to accurately put someone to.sleep without killing them.
I agree being robbed must be a horrible invasion and hard to settle at night after.
A good alarm system like the van biltz installs and then some extra diy to install more reed switches on Windows that potential burglars may get through. If a growler alarm goes off no way will u stay asleep even with drink and ear plugs 😁

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2018  ·  #59
Robbie. We had a van bitz alarm but had driven all day and forgot to put it on. We have a red light on the dash and one in the reversing light to alert there is an alarm but not much use if not switched on😀

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.