Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Best bicycle for Motorhoming

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #1
We have taken two folding bicycles to France on our last 2, and only visits. They fit in the garage and were great for shopping and trips of a couple of miles. Last year in the south of France the cycle lanes were so good that we wanted to travel further but were restricted by the small wheels and lack of gears. As a result we are going to take proper bikes this year on the bike rack. Well that's the plan. But which ones?

I do have 2 Road bikes that have been lying in the shed for about 10 years. (Sorry I did go through a spell, despite my loathing of inconsiderate cyclists.) However I think I have zero chance of getting Wendy onto one of those without a major revamp, new saddle, straight bars, etc.

So I was wondering what weight is acceptable for 2 bikes that will be carried on a bike rack and what's available for a reasonable (cheap) price. What's out there.

This decathalon folding bike weighs 16kg, whilst both the Road bikes come in just under 13kg.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Ruairi og
Craic'er
My Motorhome: converted transit high roof
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Best bicycle for Motorhoming

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #2
Could you not turn one of the road bikes into a tourer and keep the other one as it is?? It would not cost much to put on straight handle bars and touring wheels.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Ruairi og

Could you not turn one of the road bikes into a tourer and keep the other one as it is?? It would not cost much to put on straight handle bars and touring wheels.

I looked at that but I would also need to replace the brake levers that also incorporated the gear change. The parts were coming in around £60, never mind the wheels and tyres. There are bikes available in decathalon from £120. Just not sure what weight they are.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Mark&Wendy

So I was wondering what weight is acceptable for 2 bikes that will be carried on a bike rack

Most bike racks have a weight limit displayed on a sticker on them.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #5
Good point Mark, it says 60kg. Don't fancy 60kg hanging on with 4 bolts. Did you get bikes for France last year.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #6
The cheaper bikes available in decathlon usually are heavy , the town bike I got for Susie in very heavy .

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #7
Looking at doing the same.

Most standard hybrid bikes with steel frames seem to weigh approx. 16kg. Ones with aluminium frames about 12kg. I was considering carbon fibre while not widely available in hybrid weigh about 10kg from what I can gather, but are very expensive.

Then I wonder would it be safe carrying 2 x expensive bikes on a rack outside the van.
I guess 2 bikes with a total weight of 32kg should be o.k. as the racks are rated at 60kg.

Hopefully someone on the forum will have found a happy medium!

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #8
I had the same dilemma. Was thinking of buying good bikes under the ROI Cycle to work scheme. Then thought if they get stolen we would be seriously out of pocket. In the end, I bought a secondhand hybrid bike and OH will do the same. At least if they do disappear, it won't break the bank

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #9
Mark&Wendy, Can I ask what size wheels you got on the folding bikes? We are considering bike options for France too. Folding bikes look so convenient, would go in the garage and less likely to be stolen. I was looking at reasonably cheap one Halfords online. They have 20" wheels. But if they are not suited to cycles greater than a couple of kilometers, that would be a pity.

My other option is to install a bike rack and take our regular city bikes. A bike rack itself will cost in and around the price of a somewhat descent bike so I am unsure what to do.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Good point Mark, it says 60kg. Don't fancy 60kg hanging on with 4 bolts.

As far as I am aware the rack is bolted to reinforced areas of the rear panel which are designed to carry the weight.

Quote by Mark&Wendy

Did you get bikes for France last year.

No I didn't get sorted. The problem is that I don't want a bike rack on the back of the van for no reason other than I hate cleaning around them.
I have been looking into getting a bar like THIS but replacing the ball hitch with a removable bike carrier. Then I can get the bikes. LOL

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #11
They have 20" wheels and are perfect in the garage. I bought the first one for my son at sailing events. We would take it in the car and he could cycle from the B&B to the club. Only regret is not going for the model with gears. Then again I might still be looking to change.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #12
An other option to explore is to look at getting electric front wheel with a battery, a sort of an e bike convertion. There are options on amazon and ebay.
We carry 4 bikes on the back of our MH but while in France last August the weight on the back became an issue after a few wine purchases. Most MH dealers only recommend a max of 3 bikes to be carried.
Malcolm

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #13
Quote by Thorn123

An other option to explore is to look at getting electric front wheel with a battery, a sort of an e bike convertion. There are options on amazon and ebay.
Malcolm

Now that's an idea, on a second hand bike, with aluminum frame, 18 gears, that looks crap and comes in at 10kg. Might be onto something. Just glad I have another 7 months to get sorted.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #14
Yea I was looking into them a few months ago. Mother hen has issues in keeping up with the chickens and the rooster. But winter came and the conversion got forgotten about.
From looking around, either 36 volt or 48 volt motors are the best for distance and efficiency but are pricey due to the battery packs.
Now if money wasn't an issue, Ally has an e bike that is as light as a feather but is strong enough to haul his ass around.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #15
Quote by Thorn123

Now if money wasn't an issue, Ally has an e bike that is as light as a feather but is strong enough to haul his ass around.
Malcolm

I resemble that remark. :P

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #16
You what?
How many miles on the tacho now?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #17
Quote by Thorn123

How many miles on the tacho now?

Ride it every night when I get home from work, road beside us, really steep hill, free wheel on the way back down :) - I'll use it more when i can see where I am going.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #18
Great.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #19
We have two standard road bikes, brought them all round France last year, on the rack on the back. But I use steel U-type bike locks and lock them to the rack, so at least feel pretty safe when they are on board. Also bought a cover for them in a French version of Halfords, this was a great buy, cost about €28 if I remember. But we were considering a couple of e-bkies for this year, ideally folding ones to go in the garage as they'd be handy when you're on an aire or site a bit outside a town. Have to do some research though.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #20
Friends of ours who are same age as us but fitness nuts took their light weight £1500 plus bikes to France last year on towbar bike rack, they had a motorbike chain,4 quality u bolts bike locks, and a fancy steel impregnated webbing strap fixing them to the van/towbar/bikerack,. Parked on a Aires someone came along middle of afternoon with a cordless angle grinder gone in less than 5 minutes as they were only away for 10mins to local shop for bread.
Moral they still take bikes but bought some cheap secondhand ones but still use all the same security measures, oh and NO the insurance company would not pay out as they had not told them they were taking then out of the UK
Personally we have folding Raleigh 20" wheels and 21 gears but still don't use them, they look brand new because in reality that is what they are, well maybe someday they will get a use or my son will claim them
David

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #21
I have one of those cordless angle grinders. I call it my master key...... guaranteed to open any lock in seconds

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #22
I was thinking of getting an Ebike for around £700 but the theft potential is really putting me off - either on the rack or locked up in town. Might just stick to my old mountain bike. If I had a garage on my motorhome big enough it would be safer.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #23
I also have an old GIANT mountain bike, but it weighs over 18kg. Hard to lift on the rack. Thinking of a second hand hybrid for Wendy and I'll use the road bike with wider tyres and a more forgiving saddle.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #24
Quote by Daffysparks

I have one of those cordless angle grinders. I call it my master key...... guaranteed to open any lock in seconds

Great for the clampers

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #25
If you're taking the road bikes, don't forget your full spandex kit, terrible road manners and a camera to upload all those bad drivers on youtube :D :D :D

I feel much better now, thank you. LOL

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #26
Suggestion:
Sell the folding bikes that you have and buy two slightly better ones with Gears.
Two with 20" wheels, gears & baskets do the job for us. Not as quick as a racing bike, but distance no prob.
Hybrid/electric would be very nice, if you can house 'em indoors. Don't know if I would leave them on a bike rack though.

denboye
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #27
Two second hand bikes, Gumtree, local papers etc, if on a rack secure best possible and purchase a cover. Been doing this for a few years now, mine are iffy so they may not be worth half inching to the bad person looking at them. 😇

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #28
Just quick update. Sold the folding bikes and spent the money on straight handle bars, micro gear shifters and wider tyres. Just looking for gel saddles to finish the job. Pleased with the result and they feel quite comfortable but I will give them a run on the greenway when the saddles are sorted.

Thanks for the help and ideas. Only 5 months to wait for our French trip. 🤗
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #29
I’m afraid I went the other way and bought a Brampton Folding bicycle and I absolutely love it.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #30
We went for hybrid bikes that are light weight and they have proved to be excellent on the many cycling trips over the last 3-years. Have a folding bike that fits in the locker for when the bikes are left at home :-)

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2018  ·  #31
Gel saddles are fine if you only do a few miles 20 or so. Big miles the gel saddles will change
Padded boxers and champs cream works way better particularly if your out regular on 50 ish or more mile spins.
Any folding bike with small wheels is always going to be a lot harder than light alloy or carbon bikes on 700c wheels.
Some nice titanium hybrid and road bikes now.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2018  ·  #32
Quote by Robbie

Gel saddles are fine if you only do a few miles 20 or so.

I think we will safely fall into that category. 🚴🏽 😓

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.