ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Free parking in Skerries

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #1
Was talking to a friend and he tells me fingal co council are doing away with and stopping free parking for campervans.
This is due to residents complaining of their view being blocked of the strand.
He also tells me they are looking at putting in an aire, so it's good news with the bad.
When.I find out more I will post.

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Free parking in Skerries

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #2
Free is not always good and is prone to abuse- Howth being a perfect example. Motorhomers don't mind paying to park even if there are little or no facilities if the location is right- look at Galway docks.

Would be fantastic if Fingal did put an aire in Skerries.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Free parking in Skerries

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #3
This is a great little country. If you own your home with a view,the council will not accepted an objection of obstruction, yet if someone parks for a few hours, between you and the sea, the same bloody Council will not only accept but will act on your objection, at there own cost.
If you don't believe me have a look at this monstrosity from the same Council area.
53.547185 -6.082481.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #4
Was planning on overnighting at Skerries in the next month or so or even visiting for the day in the motorhome but I guess that’s off the list now. Only ever visited in the car before. I’ll stay up North I think.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but does anyone think there is a link between some spots appearing on the app and then being clamped down on within 6 months due to overuse?

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #5
Quote by gavster1

Was planning on overnighting at Skerries in the next month or so or even visiting for the day in the motorhome but I guess that’s off the list now. Only ever visited in the car before. I’ll stay up North I think.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but does anyone think there is a link between some spots appearing on the app and then being clamped down on within 6 months due to overuse?

I have often thought this ,
We are always happy to share a good stop over but as you have said it can get over used and then the complaints start coming in .

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2018  ·  #6
Quote by gavster1

I don't know when it's coming into effect. As soon as I know more I will post.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2018  ·  #7
Quote by gavster1

Quote by flans van

I have often thought this ,
We are always happy to share a good stop over but as you have said it can get over used and then the complaints start coming in .

Was it the original MHC map that was stolen from MHC and put on a website and then appeared all over the internet?

Was it those sharing that map after that?

Was it those who passed it around freely?

Is it the many many Irish MH facebook pages sharing spots and maps and POIs?

Or is it indeed the popularity of the App that has caused all of this?

NOTA
-----------

An area is popular, people will go to it, the fact that an infrastructure isn't there to provide that amount of people has nothing to do with it's popularity. If guidlines are not put in place, if regulations are not put in place then it is human nature for some to abuse it. A lot of people are sheep and just follow instead of thinking for themselves "are there too many here already?"

Example: Howth - I and others have been saying for a few years that we will lose it, there are too many there. Even trying to make our own guidlines up "if there are x amount of vans there already then drive on"

Example for the future: Donaghadee - up to 40 vans there in the summer on one night, no regulations, no guidelines and Motorhomers continue to pile into the area. Am I always blaming Motorhomers>? no - I put it to the Council over Donaghadee to put a figure on how many vans people are comfortable with and limit it to that. They have a warden already in place. They were not interested. Maybe because they were happy with the numbers or the business's were reaping the rewards. But the locals will get to the stage were enough is enough I would think.

Let's not blame anything, but let's continue what we are doing by trying to push for better facilities for ourselves and so that we can work with councils and those not fortunate enough to own a motorhome :)

We need infrastructure to accomodate tourists who benefit all communities not alienating them by making them not welcome.

We don't stop people (non motorhomers) going to Portrush because it's popular, we invite more people, hold events, add car parks, make beaches better, tidy the place up etc etc

There are quite a number of POI's on the App that are under used and business would be more than happy if motorhomers started using them more.

Skerries are perhaps putting in an Aire - let's celebrate that and look at it another way, maybe it was the popularity of the App that got people thinking "we need a proper Aire"

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2018  ·  #8
True, putting in an Aire as a result of the increased use is positive and similar to Newcastle. Still the risk of a popular Aire being overusedor abused if not monitored. Still have Donaghadee on my to do list. I only got to Howth once before it was restricted.

The more pub stops the better in the meantime perhaps as they can both monitor how many they take in and see that they directly benefit.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2018  ·  #9
People are generally creatures of habit, especially motorhomers. When we find a location that ticks most of our boxes, we tend to repeatedly to return.
It has happen to us, after finding a little gem, only to be approached by another motorhomer and are asked as how, where and when did we find their spot.
Regarding the app, I think that it is brillant tool to support motorhoming, however I do see one weakness. It is the lack of reviews left by users that's a cause of concern. In this digital age, we are trained to review other peoples experiences before we use a service or a product. Irish people have a habit of saying nothing unless they get a bad service or product but can lack compliments some times.
With some of the locations mentioned above, their popularity is also relevant to the amount of reviews left on the app.
I believe that we as a group should place more reviews of the app for places that we visit and this alone wil help to spread our business around more.
Also Ally is right in highlighting the need to specify the amount of parking available in a location. An example would be compare parking in a shopping centre with lines everywhere to a gravel yard at a football field. The more organised the parking, the more enjoyable that it is for everyone involved.
Malcolm

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2018  ·  #10
I would definetly leave reviews but I know the ability to do it via iPhone is still in progress. Hopefully will see a boost in reviews from other iPhone users when that comes on stream.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2018  ·  #11
Quote by gavster1

I know the ability to do it via iPhone is still in progress. Hopefully will see a boost in reviews from other iPhone users when that comes on stream.

Paul is banging away at it now, hopefully it won't be much longer.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2018  ·  #12
As for Skerries, I would love to stay around there but the length of my van has meant I will not try to use the free parking area as I would block the footpath with my over hang or block the road depending on what way I park, it’s just common sense as to where you can go and can’t.

Personally I feel that the popularity of Donaghadee is partly down to no other facilities of that type in the area, if there were more then there may be a better spread and other areas would benefit from it.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2018  ·  #13
When I was thinking of staying in Skerries recently I had no intention of parking in the normal car parking bays due to the overhang and houses opposite.

My idea would have been at the opposite end of the road (nearest the harbour/Martello tower) running alongside the beach where you can park broadside to the beach and there are no houses right there either. I assumed there would be no issues there but am assuming the council are going to restrict that area somehow due to complaints at the other end of the road where the houses are?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.