TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Electricity on board ferry

· 
Posted: 17.03.2018  ·  #1
Just a reminder to those boarding the ferries. When you book in ask for electricity plug in. They normally give you a card to display on the windscreen. As you are approaching the ferry put on your hazard warning flashers. That lets the guys boarding you know that you want the plug in and they put you closer to the electricity. I forgot on the outbound journey and they put me on upper deck on the Epislon where there is no MH plug in just the larger plugs for lorries. Lucky enough they let me run my generator as it is an open deck

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Electricity on board ferry

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #2
Is this just with Irish and Britanny ferries? We asked on Stena a couple of times when the kids were babies and they told us they were for trucks only.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Electricity on board ferry

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #3
Just make sure if you are not parked towards the center where the lifts and stairs are that you wait until the trucks are loaded ,the last time I arrived back in the morning to find all four wheels of a truck on top of my lead , it was as flat as a wooden rule, they were lucky it didn't short out or start a fire.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #4
I asked for a hookup last year with BF and was told no, commercial only.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #5
May I ask what these hook ups are required for as I have travelled many times on these ferries and have never felt the need to request one. My fear would be if there was to be a surge that it could end up causing lots of damage,and my opinion is that motorhomes have the ability to go for extended periods with their own power source.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #6
Quote by ntg

May I ask what these hook ups are required for as I have travelled many times on these ferries and have never felt the need to request one. My fear would be if there was to be a surge that it could end up causing lots of damage,and my opinion is that motorhomes have the ability to go for extended periods with their own power source.

A lot of people we speak to say they love to bring food from home Norman.
We don't particularly care and take little or no food now.
I did ask for hook up one year because we were parked beside one. When I connected it was reversed polarity so put the lead away. LOL

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #7
Last year we had a small supply of frozen steaks in the freezer box, (that's another story) along with 6 frozen 2ltr bottles of water in the lower draw of the fridge. May have been a bit of over kill, but there was no need to run the fridge for the 18 hour crossing and everything was still frozen solid in France. The fridge was empty coming home.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #8
Been travelling with Brittany Ferries

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #9
We usually take a stock of food to do us for a couple of days until we get to the supermarket. I have only used Irish Ferries lately so don’t know what happens on others. I was in the queue this year following a line of vans and motorhomes and when they saw my flashers on they directed me to the other side and straight to the front where there was a hook up

campingkitty
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rimor
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #10
Have travelled on both Irish Ferries and Brittany Ferries, BF do not allow EHU. but IF are very accommodating, having said that , we travelled once with Brittany and brought vacuum packed sausages, and a few frozen bottles of water kept them cold for the journey, no issues.
We’re heading to France in July on the new WB Yeats and hoping it’s the same set up as the Oscar Wilde with regards to EHU. Kids hate the French sausages😂

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #11
Quote by campingkitty

Kids hate the French sausages😂

Does anyone like the French sausages? 🤐

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #12
Haven’t plugged in on ferry, not had a problem ( unless unforeseen circumstances that delay ferry at sea).

When stocking up with French food to bring home to remind you of your lovely holiday....don’t buy smelly cheese!
We got back into MH in Rosslare and thought we had stepped in something...as if a smelly truck had leaked water ( not 💩) .
Couldn’t get rid of smell, we drove the whole way home with windows down, didn’t work out what smell was till we opened fridge.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #13
Someone mentioned having hazard lights on in relation to getting plugged in, it is also the signal if you have mobility issues and need to be parked near lift. Which I now need.
Our problem too is we only have one exit door and you may have gone upstairs, and they park something big alongside you and can’t get in when it comes to driving off.
Years ago in car and our son who has wheelchair, we were left to be boarded last ( seats all filled up in lounge at that stage) , they put us near lift but cars parked all around us, so son and wheelchair had to be carried separately to lift door.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #14
R&N my business partner likes the smelly cheese and I bring her loads back each year. I'm sure when we are checked at customs they must think we are minging

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Toulouse

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #15
or so home.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2018  ·  #16
We have never needed electric whilst on the boat, we freeze two large milk cartons almost full of fresh water and leave it in the fridge with our meat etc. it is usually still pretty cold when we arrive. And we have the added bonus of the fresh water.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.