ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Driving with full water tanks on board.

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #1
I know some of my queries might seem obvious to some of the more experienced, so please bear with me.
Im sure i read somewhere that it is not advised to drive with an excessive amount of water in your freshwater tank.What is an acceptable amount can someone tell me, and will it make a difference to drive with full tanks.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Driving with full water tanks on board.

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #2
Unless you are near overloading I don't see why you wouldn't travel with a full tank?

The fuel you save with less water is minimal. The handiness of arriving with a full tank everywhere we go is brilliant.

That's how we do it anyhow ;)

I suppose if you were planning to do a few hundred miles and you knew you could get water when you arrived it might be beneficial to travel with a nearly empty tank.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #3
Unless you have Massive tanks ,I cant see a problem , fill it at home and note to have to go look for and possibly pay for water in a country with so little facilities.
I think someone may be mixing up Motorhomes with Caravans in which it is advised not to travel with liquid in large containers when towing for weight and stability issues.
Some would advise when traveling in Ireland , you should empty your Black and Gray water, every time you get an opportunity.

Or else they are thinking of tanker syndrome. ( when a tanker stops you sometimes see the whole vehicle sway or rock back and forward whit the movement of the liquid )

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #4
I too always drive with the water tank full. Saved messing with hose pipes and connectors when i arrive

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #5
Yes, in Ireland we always travel on full tanks as the opportunity to fill are few and far between.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Driving with full water tanks on board.

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #6
Quote by JJF

Yes, in Ireland we always travel on full tanks as the opportunity to fill are few and far between.

We always remember the dead , and put a tap in the graveyard .

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

Unless you are near overloading I don't see why you wouldn't travel with a full tank?

The fuel you save with less water is minimal. The handiness of arriving with a full tank everywhere we go is brilliant.

That's how we do it anyhow ;)

I suppose if you were planning to do a few hundred miles and you knew you could get water when you arrived it might be beneficial to travel with a nearly empty tank.

thanks Ally, thats what i was hoping to hear

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #8
Quote by sprinter

Unless you have Massive tanks ,I cant see a problem , fill it at home and note to have to go look for and possibly pay for water in a country with so little facilities.
I think someone may be mixing up Motorhomes with Caravans in which it is advised not to travel with liquid in large containers when towing for weight and stability issues.
Some would advise when traveling in Ireland , you should empty your Black and Gray water, every time you get an opportunity.

Or else they are thinking of tanker syndrome. ( when a tanker stops you sometimes see the whole vehicle sway or rock back and forward whit the movement of the liquid )

full tank it so. tank looks like it will hold about 100 litres

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #9
I would never leave the house without taking water with me, if only going for one night then probably half fill, any longer then full tank. Would anyone consider not puting Diesel in to save weight? sure what is the difference one is as important as the other.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #10
I travelled out with a full fresh water tank last Friday. It made no difference to my mpg, didn't notice the extra weight whilst driving and I managed an impressive emergency stop when a small dog ran out in front of the van on the A2.

I thought the dog was a gonner but the brake assist is fantastic and the indicators pulse flash to warn drivers behind. Super impressed - even watched it back on the dashcam.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #11
We loaded up with a full tank for our journey, I agree that the difference between a half tank and full tank is minimal- 50Kg for 50 litres, so might as well bring the 100 litres. It's going to make no noticeable difference to handling or fuel, and once the available payload supports it then why not.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #12
filler it up last night, so good to go :up:

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #13
We always go with a full tank ,as our toilet uses the same water as the shower and sinks don't want to be left with no water to flush the bog.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2017  ·  #14
If it's only 2/ 3 nights then half a tanks plenty, when we'd go over to France, then, a full tank. The black and grey are always empty before we leave, of course. 👍

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #15
I usually travel with a half tank. I never have problems finding water, I just don’t like the extra weight as we are always running close to out maximum

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #16
Always fill to full when water is available.
An extra 50 kg isn't going to make much of a difference to a vehicle already weighing in the region of 3,500kg.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #17
Like Hillton9, our toilet pump seems to be wired to the same circuit as the main water pump, so we need water on board to flush the loo.
Mainly I travel with a little water or none in the tank until I arrive on site- generally we go to camp sites. The main reason I do this is I thought it saved diesel. Looks like I am wrong as it appears from this thread that I am saving a minuscule amount of diesel. So... full tank from now on.
Regards to all Franco

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #18
We mainly wild camp, so it’s full to the brim when we pull out, 2 cylinders of gas I. Case it gets cold. A fridge full of beer and wine and off we go. If it turns out we need food as well, then the hunt is on 😂😂😂

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #19
100% tank full before we leave, we would wild camp where possible so definitely a must.

Never had any issues with weight or anything like that. and I guess I have the diesel tank on the other side already which is also full when we leave, But having said that, I try to distribute the weight as evenly across the van as possible.

From full to 3/4 full it'll be what, 10 maybe 20ltrs difference? Unless you're exceeding your load capacity, it should not matter too much... and even so, I'll much prefer to leave clothing behind than water, unless you're going straight to a campsite and don't mind topping her up.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.