TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Tempature

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #1
Sitting in MĂ©ribel 0840 and the outside tempature in -8. This is the first time we felt the van cool showing 13 at about 0700. I have a selection of 4 electric heaters depending on the campsite ampage.We have 10 amps here so not a lot of wriggle room. I leave the blinds open over the day to try and catch a bit of sun. Most of the cold air is coming from the cab that I have blocked off with a blanket. Dread to think the tempature with wind chill once we start skiing. When parking the van slid to within 2 inches of a wall so had to put on chains to move away. At least the sun is shining

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Re: Tempature

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #2
Sounds like an adventure! Very envious, Val thorens has been my favourite ski spot and not too far from meribel if I remember right!

At least you're as prepped as can be, hopefully it's an enjoyable break! I've always found a wee bit of whiskey as an excellent way to warm the heart!!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #3
Funny you should say that I quite like a little drop of Bush or Jamesons in my coffee after the skiing although if these temperatures continue might have to partake a bit more often

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #4
Yes Val Thorens is part of the Three Valleys, we will be there some day this week

TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #5
Interested how you get on, we are looking at taking the van skiing next winter for a month, but keeping it warm without using shed loads of gas is our concern, I know oil fired rads will help, us out , but as you have alluded too, most sights have low ampage suplies.

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #6
Do you mind me asking what site you are in, or which aire, and what the cost is. Thanks, enjoy your skiing, we are off next week to Alpe D'Huez.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #7
We are in Le Martagon caravaneige at la Raffort , it’s 31 for the MH +7 euros for the electric. The price includes heated shower room, drying room and a place to store skis. There is a 6 man bubble about 80 yards from the campsite and when the snow is good you can ski back. The restaurant on site does great food. Just been out for a run it’s absolutely freezing.windchill -14 at 2000m. And -20 at 3000.
We have used the Aire at Les Menuires in the past but it’s hit or miss getting electric. I have spoken with people who have spent2- 3 months on the Aire at Les Menuire and they get gas delivered from town. Our van is winterised but this temperature is testing it. Most of the cold comes from the cab, we have Silver Screens on and have a blanket between the cab and main body. I have seen screens that completely cover the front of the van, seem like a good idea. We have never skied at Alp D’huez but stayed on a caravanneige close to les Deux Alps

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Tempature

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #8
Tommy. check out PARA-GON PARAGON SILVER SCREENS SILVERSCREENS FIAT DUCATO
They have long ones that cover the out over the bonnet.
Maybe have one shipped out to you.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #9
Thanks but I’m too tight to buy any more. I ll bring more blankets next year and cover the dash and the front doors. We have heaters on full blast silver screens on and hot toddies on the go. This is the coldest in the 13 years we have taken the van skiing. Saying that I got a touch of sun today

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #10
Gas delivered, might be an issue as we have Gaslow. Do they top that up??

Otherwise i reckon with two X 11kg bottles we would have to drive off site every 6th day to fill, if its really cold

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #11
No I wouldn’t think it but there are loads of winter Aires you could move around and fill in between

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #12
Had a bit of a panic. It went down to -16 last night. I got up to go to toilet and there was no water in toilet or taps, the heater had dumped as well. I realised that the water had frozen in the pipes somewhere so put 2 blow heaters into the double floor. I opened the main water tank and there was a coating of ice on the surface, this tank is internal above the double floor in a seat base so I can’t see how it froze. After a while I got water to the heater and got It going again. It’s *******ing freezing here, I might take up water skiing in the Caribbean

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #13
Fair play for being on it though! Hope you got/get refilled easily and heated again!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #14
That's why we always go skiing half board in a hotel , we've been in minus 18 in Italy outside the hotel door

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #15
one of the Gaslow

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #16
Eirebus. Been there and done that it’s all a learning curve . And there are the real motorcaravanners :D . I hope there is a smiley on there

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.