The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Gas dropout vent - good idea?

· 
Posted: 26.02.2018  ·  #1
I have been meaning to install a gas dropout vent on the floor below the 3-way fridge compartment as the fridge manufacturer suggests, so as to prevent any pooling of gas in case of a leak. I then come across arguments that suggest this risks drawing in some very unwanted CO and that this poses a greater threat than an actual gas leak. I don’t envisage needing to run the engine while stationary too much but I do vent exhaust fumes from a Propex heater through the floor while stationary.

Any opinions?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Gas dropout vent - good idea?

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #2
Don't know what your Van is but I assume manufacturer fitted the right setup for it so don't look for problems

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #3
I thought that the reason for the double wall vents behind the fridge eliminated the floor vent.
The top vent remove heat and gas emission, while the bottom vent dealt with possible gas leaks.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Gas drop out vent - good ides

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Thorn123

I thought that the reason for the double wall vents behind the fridge eliminated the floor vent.
The top vent remove heat and gas emission, while the bottom vent dealt with possible gas leaks.
Malcolm

Not altogether correct, the gas fridge relies on convection to carry away the rejected heat. cold air in the bottom , warm air out the top, the lower edge of the bottom vent is normally level with the gas jet, so if the fridge is not in use, any gas leak may vent out the lower vent. The spent gas is vented out trough it's own small exhaust vent, the backplate of this vent should be sealed against the bodywork.

The exhaust of the propex heater always goes outside , if under the chassis, it is recommended to bring it to the sill at the side or the rear. The inlet should be as far away from the its own exhaust , and the engine exhaust so it has clean air for the combustion process

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #5
The exhaust of the propex heater always goes outside , if under the chassis, it is recommended to bring it to the sill at the side or the rear. The inlet should be as far away from the its own exhaust , and the engine exhaust so it has clean air for the combustion process

And that is how it is currently set up. I think it is recommended that the exhaust and the fresh intake opening be spaced a meter or so apart. Makes you wonder what could happen if the wind blows the wrong way. Paranoid? Maybe, but it is CO after all.

The lower fridge vent does sit 3 to 4 inches above the floor. In theory gas, being heavier than air, could pool to that depth. My van is not a factory build Thorn. I figured the previous owner who did the conversion, over looked the dropout vent. But maybe he was wise to the CO risk.

From what I hear, German Motorhomes omit these dropouts due to any risk of CO intake, figuring that the risk of a gas leak is much less of a risk. I’m inclined to leave things alone for now.

Phoebe
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #6
I reckon you and your neighbours would be more at risk from a possible gas leak than the perfect storm scenario where the co will blow up a small hole in the bottom of your van.
If you feel the need why not add an extension pipe to the bottom of the gas drop hole and cut the odds from very unlikely to a bit less very unlikely.
Steven.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Phoebe

I reckon you and your neighbours would be more at risk from a possible gas leak than the perfect storm scenario where the co will blow up a small hole in the bottom of your van.
If you feel the need why not add an extension pipe to the bottom of the gas drop hole and cut the odds from very unlikely to a bit less very unlikely.
Steven.

Fair point.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.