Nespresso without mains electric.

Has anyone used one?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #1
As we hardly ever use hookup I have been looking for a 12 volt machine capable of using the Nespresso capsules.
We carry a household Nespresso machine in the van and use it any time we hookup. I have considered an inverter but as the machine is 1260W and produces heat it would be fairly hard on batteries.

I know some people will be happy with instant and other don't think capsules produce good coffee but it is good enough for me.

I have recently been reading up on the Nowpresso machine which runs on a lithium battery or 12volt cable.
Read about it HERE

It is about £200 (Inc stand) and looks good in the videos but I was wondering if anyone has used one?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Nespresso without mains electric.

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #2
we Use the capsule machines at home..... looked at one of those machines for the van and will follow this thread out of interest... at the moment we use one of these while away..

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #3
We also have Bialetti induction coffee pot like the one below. It is good but I still prefer the Nespresso.
Maybe I am just lazy. LOL

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #4
Quote by mark

As we hardly ever use hookup I have been looking for a 12 volt machine capable of using the Nespresso capsules.
We carry a household Nespresso machine in the van and use it any time we hookup. I have considered an inverter but as the machine is 1260W and produces heat it would be fairly hard on batteries.

I know some people will be happy with instant and other don't think capsules produce good coffee but it is good enough for me.

I have recently been reading up on the Nowpresso machine which runs on a lithium battery or 12volt cable.
Read about it HERE

It is about £200 (Inc stand) and looks good in the videos but I was wondering if anyone has used one?

I use one of these http://www.handpresso.com/en/e…op-orange/.

a fraction of that posh one you mention above. Its a manual bicycle pump type one and is very good but it doesn't use nespresso pods. You can use ground espresso coffee directly in it or ESE pods which is a lot cleaner. They also do electric ones. The hand pump works fine. Obviously you still need a kettle to get your hot water.

If you can go without espresso and would be happy with a decent filter coffee Rombouts tastes excellent and is cheap. Tesco stock it.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #5
Thanks Paul.
I have looked at it and tried one belonging to a friend but really want to keep with the Nespresso capsules.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #6
Quote by mark

I have recently been reading up on the Nespresso machine which runs on a lithium battery or 12volt cable.
Read about it HERE

Been looking at this too.

Saw a brand of Nespresso machine that only takes about 1200 watts, it was a mainstream brand, I think Bosch, not a cheapy.
I know it's 1200 watts but only for a few minutes (1200 watts for 5 minutes is only a draw of about 8.3 amps off the batteries, 1200 watts for an hour is 1200 watts ÷ 12 volts = 100 amps/hrs ÷ 60 X 5 = 8.3)

However, they require a pure sine wave inverter to work properly.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #7
That certainly looks an interestaeing piece of kit?

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #8
I must say I love my coffee and as well as wine bring back loads of coffee beans from France each year. In the van I still use a cafetière. Three Christmases ago I treated myself to a bean to cup machine but it is too big to take away with me. I descalled it today and checked the statistics, 5126 cups of coffee from purchase

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2018  ·  #9
Nespresso machine was the main reason I built in the honda generator, we have a 1800w waeco pure sine invertor but 1300w ish is a heck to a thump even on 3 batteries , particularly if making 2 cups then another 2 as we find 1 pod is never enough lol

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2018  ·  #10
Robbie you can get little aluminium coffee makers in Spain ,they are are like a liitle pot with a waist. where you boil a small quanity of water in the bottom ,its a two piece unit, which then perculates into the top where the ground coffee is and you have fresh cupa in next to no time.

Robbie
Starline S680
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2018  ·  #11
Quote by nilrac

Robbie you can get little aluminium coffee makers in Spain ,they are are like a liitle pot with a waist. where you boil a small quanity of water in the bottom ,its a two piece unit, which then perculates into the top where the ground coffee is and you have fresh cupa in next to no time.

We have used those in the past and a good job but switched to a self grind machine at home and since that perculated just isnt as nice but beats even the wholebean instants which we use if we have to.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2018  ·  #12
Quote by Robbie

Quote by nilrac

We have used those in the past and a good job but switched to a self grind machine at home and since that perculated just isnt as nice but beats even the wholebean instants which we use if we have to.

You can even get them in Woodie's
Apollo coffee maker

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2018  ·  #13
We have been using a simple filter cone for years, very cheap ( only a couple of euros) in french supermarkets and very easy to use. Amazon have it, but much more expensive here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melit…EXK26J2DWH

flashvan
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #14

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #15
Quote by flashvan

http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/m…chine.html

Have a look at this link. I got one and its great.

Thanks. Must have a read about that one later.
I see it can use the Nespresso capsules. Is that what you are using in it?

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #16
Interested in this, what did you end up buying Mark?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #17
Quote by nipper

Interested in this, what did you end up buying Mark?

I didn't. LOL

Still using the Bialetti pot and the mains Nespresso machine if you hookup.
I would prefer to physically see the nowpresso before I buy.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #18
We use one

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #19
Quote by witzend

We use one of THESE in the van it makes 2 fair sized cups of coffee

Very similar to mine (post 2). I agree it works well with the right coffee grounds.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #20
We have an Aeropress, nothing special really for the price.

Good [url=

]video[/url] can sell stuff, that's for sure :)

Robbie
Starline S680
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2018  ·  #21
We use the Nespresso and just pop the Honda generator on for 5 mins. It's wired into the garage.
It and the microwave are a must for hardened campers lol.
Slave to the toys

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #22
For those without a genny, I guess you could plug your coffee maker into the vehicle battery and run the engine. But running at 1200W, you’d need to wire for 100 amps plus. Sounds like a fire hazard. 💥 😟. Gas fired espresso maker please.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #23
Quote by The Rambler

For those without a genny, I guess you could plug your coffee maker into the vehicle battery and run the engine. But running at 1200W, you’d need to wire for 100 amps plus. Sounds like a fire hazard. 💥 😟. Gas fired espresso maker please.

No fire hazard if the correct gauge of cable is used.
Some coffee makers, like microwaves and electric toothbrush charges, do not work properly on quasi (square) sine wave power and can even be terminally damaged. for those and other equipment which is sensitive to the quality of current a pure sine wave inverter is recommended.

Coffee makers run fon inverter power Discussed Here

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #24
I still swear by the Handpresso which uses ESE pods. I bought 100 of these ESE pods at the start of the year at discountcoffee and that got me through the season. They are more like teabags than Nespresso, so better for the environment. The Italian Espresso pods at discountcoffee are really good and combined with the Handpresso, it is a genuine espresso coffee experience.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #25
Just watched the demo video of the handpresso. Would love to try before buying. Does it really produce that thick crema?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #26
Quote by Pablo

I still swear by the Handpresso which uses ESE pods. I bought 100 of these ESE pods at the start of the year at discountcoffee and that got me through the season. They are more like teabags than Nespresso, so better for the environment. The Italian Espresso pods at discountcoffee are really good and combined with the Handpresso, it is a genuine espresso coffee experience.

Decided to check ebay... just picked up a new unused one on the ebay uk site... £30 sterling and £4.50 delivery.... so a good price.
Thanks for the heads up.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #27
Hmmm, the handpresso looks like a novel and cool idea. But it makes one shot at a time. I ideally need to make two shots at a time. Which I would then dilute with hot water and voila an americano for me and one for the missus. Something like the Aeropress looks more suitable but seems to have quite a few parts and looks like the brewing process would take up a lot of counter space. I then came across the Oomph which is a similar idea to the Aeropress but looks more self contained.

Anyone tried the Oomph?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #28
Quote by The Rambler

Anyone tried the Oomph?

I looked at it but it doesn't take Nespresso capsules so that ruled it out for me.

I see the nowpresso look like it has been ripped of already by CISNO.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #29
Quote by The Rambler

Hmmm, the handpresso looks like a novel and cool idea. But it makes one shot at a time. I ideally need to make two shots at a time. Which I would then dilute with hot water and voila an americano for me and one for the missus. Something like the Aeropress looks more suitable but seems to have quite a few parts and looks like the brewing process would take up a lot of counter space. I then came across the Oomph which is a similar idea to the Aeropress but looks more self contained.

Anyone tried the Oomph?

One shot at a time .. yes just like a Nespresso machine or any domestic espresso machine like a Gaggia. I also like Americano, so I just do it twice in the Handpresso. Each shot takes about 45 seconds start to finish. Top up with hot water, perfect Americano.

The Oomph looks like it works like the Aeropress. Why not just buy a plunger jug, would do the same thing as far as I can see and a lot cheaper. But it's not espresso, which needs pressure to force the water through the ground coffee. Proper Americano needs espresso coffee. The Handpresso provides 16 bar pressure and does the job correctly.

/end coffee snob rant

Toast & proper coffee, the real motorhome challenges.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #30
Quote by mark

Quote by The Rambler

Anyone tried the Oomph?

I looked at it but it doesn't take Nespresso capsules so that ruled it out for me.

I see the nowpresso look like it has been ripped of already by CISNO.

I don't understand the obsession with nespresso capsules, ESE are just as handy but can be disposed of in organic waste. But it looks like the CISNO fits your needs.. 15 bar pressure, 80 shots per charge cycle if you provide the boiling water. Uses nespresso. Ticks all the boxes. Take the plunge and let us know :)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #31
Hey coffee is a complicated business. So is trying to choose and buy wisely when you have a cupboard full of crap that once seemed like a good purchase. I just know from experience what happens as soon as a daily routine starts to get tedious. Whether it is getting out that juicer that's a pig to clean, or hooking a laptop up to the TV to watch a movie with cables and chargers. It gets old quickly.

My espresso machine at home can make a double shot and so can make two shots at once. And yes, that is the proper way to make an Americano. But that requires power. The Cisno and Nowpresso do look up to the job. One shot at a time is not a deal breaker, but at the price it goes on my Christmas wish list for now. Nespresso capsules are not a requirement for me. Fine if I can use them but I would mostly want to grind my own.

So that leaves the hand operated devices in terms of the kind of price I would be willing to pay if only to find out if I like it or not. I wouldn't have looked at the Aeropress or Oomph if I thought they were just doing the same as the French presses, but maybe that is just the marketing hype.

But I have to say, the Handpresso does look cool. Does it produce a strong espresso as some of the reviews seem to suggest no?

wolfie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #32
The Aeropress makes brilliant smooth coffee if used properly. Lots of people do not read the instructions.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #33
I wonder if this guy uses nespresso pods? link :-/

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #34
What’s wrong with maxwell house 😳😳

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #35
Quote by Daffysparks

What’s wrong with maxwell house 😳😳

Absolutely no way! Its Nescafe for me. :happy:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2018  ·  #36
Quote by Pablo

But it looks like the CISNO fits your needs.. 15 bar pressure, 80 shots per charge cycle if you provide the boiling water. Uses nespresso. Ticks all the boxes. Take the plunge and let us know :)

I have dropped a few hints Paul so maybe I need to wait until after Christmas to see if I need to buy it myself. LOL

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2018  ·  #37
Quote by The Rambler

But I have to say, the Handpresso does look cool. Does it produce a strong espresso as some of the reviews seem to suggest no?

It does for me. I use an espresso blend ESE pod., At least as good as nespresso, maybe not as good as my old gaggia... (nostalgia nonsense probably)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2018  ·  #38
So decided to take the ‘plunge’ ( ha ha ), and clicked to buy a Handpresso on eBay for £30. I thought I was clicking to buy however but instead clicked on auction. I really don’t understand how these eBay auctions work. Currently I am the only bidder but I bet someone somewhere has a bot running to outbid me in the last second.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2018  ·  #39
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2018  ·  #40
Very interesting. Looks like it was built for builders.

My Hnadpresso fell through so in the end I ordered a nanopresso https://www.wacaco.com/pages/nanopresso

It still on a slow boat from China

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.