nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Take 2, we’re off this time !

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #81
With the price of fuel,.toll roads and food climbing in France ,its making the direct ferry to Spain both from UK and Ireland look much more attractive.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #82
Too right lads. Spain is much more reasonable regarding fuel/food/tolls. Total tolls in France was €87.00 and we missed quite a lot of them coming down...... so we will do likewise on the return where possible.
We’re in Teruel tonight and found the snow in drifts on the high ground but all roads completely clear..... but at almost 4000 feet above sea level this place is decidedly cold..... brrrrrrrr !
Onward tomorrow via Zaragoza and onward towards the northern Spain Atlantic coast and into France, but not before a fill of diesel on the Spanish side !
Thanks to Jamie for the updates, all going fine and we’re digging out the dufflecoats tonight ...LOL

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #83
Update on the ‘trip north’
Leaving north of Alicante on Sunday around 10am we head towards Valencia on the N-322 avoiding the AP-7 toll road. Nice Sunday run and after a stop off about 20KM south of Valencia for lunch and the obligatory dog walk we proceeded around the ring road until north of Valencia and then on to the A-23 northbound making way through mainland Spain.
From leaving Valencia it is a long uphill 6% pull for at least 40KM and it’s busy with lorries .... but the road is good and the dual carriageway makes it easy.
The weather was great leaving the coast and stayed good all the way up and we drove a couple of hours while gaining altitude all the way, and with the altitude the drop in temperature was apparent. Our stop for the night was the aire in the town of Teruel (Campercontact 25719). The aire is on the outskirts of the town, no services here other than parking.... beside the police station and supermarket in a residential area, quite noisy to about 11pm and fine after that. 6 campers there on Sunday night. This town is almost 4000ft above sea level and it was cold out, so with heating on we turned in to bed as we had an early start planned for the morning.
Monday morning we had breakfast, did a quick shop in the adjacent supermarket and hit the road north again.
Up through central Spain, the snow appeared alongside the roads but the roads themselves were all clear. This road is barron and wild, like a scene from a western, interspersed with small towns and vast plains it was quite a boring drive. With only a stop for lunch and a break we proceeded on to our next stop, again an aire in the town of Berriozar (Campercontact 19155). A purpose built vast aire, concreted, well lit, level with service point.... right on the outskirts of a typical nondescript Spanish industrial town. Once again this town is at a high altitude right on the northern side of the Pyrenees mountains and it was cold , down to -4 at night, so much so that all water on the service point was frozen in the morning. 4 vans there last night, UK and French.
Tuesday, an early start again and we headed northbound towards the Spanish/French border at Irun, gaining altitude and into quite heavy snow. Snowploughs we’re alongside the motorways and for a time we thought it may be a problem until we cleared the summit and began a descent down the other side, an 8% downhill ride for 30KM or so onwards towards Irun, and as we descended the snow turned to rain, the roads remained clear, the snow disappeared altogether and the mountain scenery was stunning.
We stopped at Irun, filled with diesel (35 cent/lt cheaper than in France!) and crossed into France...... stopped for lunch just inside the border and proceeded north. The early start had us making good headway and we decided to motor on and through Bordeaux and non toll north to the city of Cognac to the aire there right beside the Hennessy brandy distillery, (Campercontact 1645).
4 vans here, all French..... we took a walk up the riverside and had an early night.....
Wednesday after breakfast we hit the road and took the toll motorway up to Nantes, stopped for lunch and then the non toll northwards and ended up here at Avranches (Campercontact 4697)....only 1 other van with us tonight..... so we’re only a couple of hours from Cherbourg and will now take it easy for a couple of days and enjoy the rest of our time here, well hopefully we will as it has only pissed cats and dogs from we crossed at Irun and we’re ‘foundered’ since...... !
We Want a night in and around St.Malo as some great restaurants in the town and probably up the western coast of the peninsula to another favorite ‘unofficial aire’ stop of ours for a night halfway between here and the ferry......... after first visiting the vet for a doggy MOT !
So Sunday sees us on the ferry all being well and home..... great trip so far and looking forward to the next one !

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #84
JJF you seem to have had a brilliant holliday and many of us were wishing we had been there also,your blog was brilliant and just made us hope that the lottery is kind to us soon.😀
Now for the bad bit the weather is not going to get any kinder when you get to this side of the pond------(frost,snow,sleet,wind,rain)
Welcome back home👍

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #85
I hope the lottery is kind to me too......!
God, it’s cheaper to overwinter here than live back home !

I know, weather is a bummer but hopefully going towards an Irish summer when the rain becomes a bit warmer !!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #86
Sounds absolutely brilliant! have thoroughly enjoyed reading! safe rest of your return journey!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Take 2, we’re off this time !

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #87
Quote by JJF

I hope the lottery is kind to me too......!
God, it’s cheaper to overwinter here than live back home !

I know, weather is a bummer but hopefully going towards an Irish summer when the rain becomes a bit warmer !!

JJ . I just listened to AA road watch and Met éireann earlier, the north west is not a nice place to be or drive in.
If I were you I'd stay over there for a little while longer. :D

TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #88
Hi JJF.

We are looking at taking our dog over later this year. Can i ask, were the kennels clean, and are they big enough for a German Shepherd Dog. Also at what point can you choose which kennels you get. Is it when you book the crossing or once on board.
Also what vet do you plan to use for return crossing, thanks.

Sounds a great trip

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #89
We travelled out on stena rosslare to Cherbourg the kennels were clean and big enough for a German Shepard you chose once on board when we left start of Nov there was only one other dog in the kennels but I wouldn't like them if they were all occupied.

Bet wise on Cherbourg crossing there is a good one at bricquebec with carparking for MH or a 10/15 minute walk from the aire. That said we are going back via roscoff and there is a good vet in easy walking distance of the aire at landerneau.
Quote by TimB

Hi JJF.

We are looking at taking our dog over later this year. Can i ask, were the kennels clean, and are they big enough for a German Shepherd Dog. Also at what point can you choose which kennels you get. Is it when you book the crossing or once on board.

Sounds a great trip

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #90
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

We travelled out on stena rosslare to Cherbourg the kennels were clean and big enough for a German Shepard you chose once on board when we left start of Nov there was only one other dog in the kennels but I wouldn't like them if they were all occupied.

Bet wise on Cherbourg crossing there is a good one at bricquebec with carparking for MH or a 10/15 minute walk from the aire. That said we are going back via roscoff and there is a good vet in easy walking distance of the aire at landerneau.
Quote by TimB

Hi JJF.

Sounds a great trip

Hi Jamie, thanks for that, it was us with our GSD that stayed at your site last September, we discussed our similar previous two occupations, if that helps you remember us!!!! You also advised us re gaslow, which we have had fitted. We are looking at going to France and taking the dog, but i dont fancy sticking him in an unclean kennel and not being able to get him out or feed him for a 17 hour crossing, also he can be a bit grumpy with other dogs, so wondering how close kennels are to each other

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #91
Hi Tim,
Reiterating what Jamie has confirmed.
You cannot pick kennel before you’re on board.
We don’t like the kennels on the outer deck on level 5, noisy and cold we feel.
The kennels on deck 4 are not heated either, but are in from the elements and are acceptable. The good thing is you can go to the dogs as often as you like which is good.
I will take some pictures and some video and post it on this thread for you to have a look, the kennels are big enough for a German Shepherd I should think.
You need to take drinking water and bowls on board for the dogs as well as a warm bed for them to lie on as those are not provided.

We always use the vet in St-Lo..... Dr Marten
Very nice chap and very helpful and reasonable (€25).
See Dr.Marten, Vet, St-Lo for details.
The Motorhome aire in St-Lo is about 300 meters to his clinic so it’s handy.

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #92
JJF, many thanks. Pictures would be great

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #93
Hello snowdrop!!!! I wouldn't personally put a gsd in the kennels it's too close to other dogs, what about leaving him/her in the MH? Or getting britanny ferry with a cabin that allows dogs?
Quote by TimB

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by TimB

Hi JJF.

Sounds a great trip

Hi Jamie, thanks for that, it was us with our GSD that stayed at your site last September, we discussed our similar previous two occupations, if that helps you remember us!!!! You also advised us re gaslow, which we have had fitted. We are looking at going to France and taking the dog, but i dont fancy sticking him in an unclean kennel and not being able to get him out or feed him for a 17 hour crossing, also he can be a bit grumpy with other dogs, so wondering how close kennels are to each other

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #94
If he's in the van, would I still be allowed to get him out for walk and feeding. Ah Snowdrop, you remembered

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #95
On rosslare to Cherbourg you get 2 X 15 minute walks on the car deck, not ideal.
Quote by TimB

If he's in the van, would I still be allowed to get him out for walk and feeding. Ah Snowdrop, you remembered

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #96
2 x 15 mins walk on that trip would put me off taking my dogs. not a lot for an 18hr trip, poor dogs would be stiff as boards.

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #97
see my new post titled

Only gone and done it!!!!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #98
One of the most thought provoking places we’ve been to.
American WW2 war cemetery at Colleville-Ser-Mer, Normandy.

”At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.”

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #99
Quote by JJF

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.”

Have to agree JJF ,only when you have been there can you take in the enormity of this site. The sacrifices made can only be measured by the silence and the rows of thousands of crosses each in a straight line no matter which direction you look.
A real humbling experience.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #100
Those lovely words by Jon are a verse from a poem by Robert Laurence Binyon about the first world war,
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old , Age shall not worry them
Nor the years condem them
Then at the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
You can see by the crosses how many times it must have been said.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #101
Quote by ntg

Quote by JJF

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.”

Have to agree JJF ,only when you have been there can you take in the enormity of this site. The sacrifices made can only be measured by the silence and the rows of thousands of crosses each in a straight line no matter which direction you look.
A real humbling experience.

Quote by nilrac

Those lovely words by Jon are a verse from a poem by Robert Laurence Binyon about the first world war,
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old
Nor the years condem them
Then at the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
You can see by the crosses how many times it must have been said.

Find it difficult to choke down the human emotions when at such places, plays on my mind for some time.
Still...... “ lest we forget”

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #102
A very special place believe me? Have been there and conducted many Acts of Remembrances there. Sacred ground.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2018  ·  #103
Absolutely agree. We visited there, last July. It was very somber and thought provoking. I came away from there thinking about the futility of war and the suffering involved.
On a lighter side, it was amazing to watch the machinery cutting the grass with such care.
Malcolm

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.02.2018  ·  #104
Yes they do keep them neat and tidy Mal, it is all done by the commonwealth association. From the first war there is 1200 graveyards and from the 2nd 599 but the first war ones are much larger so you can get an idea of scale . The Germans have a similar set up for their side. But people don't know there were both Chinese and indian labour on both sides and are surprised when they see the names on the headstones.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.02.2018  ·  #105
Quote by nilrac

Yes they do keep them neat and tidy Mal, it is all done by the commonwealth association. From the first war there is 1200 graveyards and from the 2nd 599 but the first war ones are much larger so you can get an idea of scale . The Germans have a similar set up for their side. But people don't know there were both Chinese and indian labour on both sides and are surprised when they see the names on the headstones.

You mentioned Germans there, it is 6 or 7 years since I visited the American Cemetery and I was surprised with the amount of German owned Motorhomes parked in the visitors car park there.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #106
@ TimB

Pictures and video of the onboard kennels inside on deck 4 on the Stena Horizon

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #107
JJF, many thanks, glad we have booked pet friendly cabins, look a bit cramped for a German Shepherd

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #108
Yes, possibly a cramped space for a bigger dog. There is a lab type dog in the outside cabins on level 5 and he is the full of it....
Pet friendly cabins are ideal.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #109
All back home yesterday evening (Monday)
Few stats on the trip...

Total miles done ............... 3532
Diesel used....................... 628 litres (half tank still), about 25MPG
Oil used.............................Nil
Gas used.......................... 31 kgs approx
Tolls paid...........................€112.76
Site nights..........................22
Average site cost per night....€19.50
Free nights (Aires etc)..........14
Vets fees............................€20
Misc...................................€100

Really good run, weather was generally good and very enjoyable time away confirming our intent to spend the forthcoming winter in warmer climates. Interestingly my initial thoughts of not spending extended time in Benidorm has sort of been skewed, it does offer an extremely affordable solution by availing of the big discounted site rates for extended stays and makes spending time away so simple, with all amenities to hand ..... but being a good bit out of town (el-Raco) is a must to be away from the noise and the typical party environment us older patrons desire !..Also affirms that we need to take the scooter with us for trips to the wonderful areas around the stops we make, possibly electric bikes may need to be looked at.

Our old van performed faultlessly, uses no oil or water, bit underpowered but proves that a well maintained older van is nothing to worry about and well fit for the job, although a fixed bed model may be a good idea for this sort of trip, we’ll take that into account over the coming months and will see but won’t worry about doing this trip again in the current van.

We’ve made some great friends on this trip, met folk we would never meet if we didn’t motorhome and confirms that the community is friendly, vibrant and a lot of fun.
Now, back to brass and our everyday lives and looking forward to a Summer of motorhoming throughout Ireland all being well...
and deciding where the forthcoming winter will be spent !

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #110
Welcome home JJ ,great to here everything went well and your back safe and sound ,and didn't kill each other or the dog's :lol:
Thanks for bringing the sun and good weather ,I've had two good days on the roofing,
You pair have done wonders for those who have had reservation's about making the decision to up sticks and go.
It was great following you journey ,I'll bet you did not know we where with you, unless you missed some of your drink .
I think a big THANKS is due from all of us.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #111
JJ glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip and had no trouble from the MH,

And as Sprinter has said that it will be a good lot of info for anybody thinking of doing a similar trip,

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #112
Glad you are all home safe and well, yes Benidorm does get under the skin, for all its faults ,but it has many good points too .I have been going there for 12 years or more as my wife cant walk a great distance and we hire one of those double madgemobiles and any thing we need is at hand. It is called Blackpool with sun it is maybe but I don't think there is anywhere in Spain with campsites so near to the town and with such a wide choice from bacon butties to paella or any other dish you can get it.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #113
Glad to hear you had such a great trip we're going to have to do it ourselves next year , vet's fee's e 20 what was that for

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #114
Quote by eirebus

vet's fee's e 20 what was that for

Getting the dogs passports stamped on the return. We supplied the medicines ourselves this time and required the stamp and examinations doing.
I had a bet with him that Ireland would beat France in the 6 nations !..... we won... fee discount !
Been going to him all the time since we weent to France, vet in St-Lo ... reccomended.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #115
JJ, we've been following your trip with great interest. It cheered us up on the dark cold nights here, now I'm really looking forward to getting away again soon. Now , spending the winter in a sunnier climate sounds a real possibility, maybe a 3 month Craic meet in Benidorm would be on the cards, what a great TV show that would make 😆. The vet in St Lo sounds reasonable, on a previous post , I paid 50 euros for one dog, was yours 20 for 2 , or was it inexpensive because of your bet? The blog was a great read, I'm sure it will be used as reference for the future. Many thanks.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #116
Yes, got to know Phillepe over the years, always a banter with him re:Rugby .... bet on with him that Ireland would beat France... but I didn’t tell him we now had 2 dogs, normally €25 €30 per dog ..

I got one free !

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #117
Ah, it take a Donegal man, a man after my own heart? Lol

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #118
Jack, my old mum used to say, There are no flies on those Donegal wans., you would have to get up very early to catch wan !

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #119
Quote by nilrac

Jack, my old mum used to say, There are no flies on those Donegal wans., you would have to get up very early to catch wan !

Will you get out of that the two of you, Donegal is the breathing grounds for the whole worlds supply of Feckin Midge's

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #120
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.