Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Insurance

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #1
Hi just got renewal for insurance from Dolmen’s €429 and am realizing that I’m paying a lot more than most of you I have a car insured in my name and have no claims on it or on my camper policy which is active for the past 15 years I’m not a member of any club so perhaps that’s the reason why. Can anyone help me before I make the call to Dolmen’s It would be nice if I was forearmed in order to get a reduction in the quote

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Insurance

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #2
The renewal is for open drive,

A friend of mine was charged over €400 for a few years on the trot didnt realise they were getting charged for open drive, even though they didnt want or need it,
Long story short they got a refund/credit note for the three years they were over charged

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #3
I was surprised today that one company I had got a quote from dropped from £425 to £260 for the exact same cover once I told them I had another quote for £270.

I’m not member of a club and have all the no claims etc from my car but the LHD did make some of my quotes more expensive plus I don’t have an immobiliser. Not sure what open drive is but it would have only cost me about £21 to be able to drive fully comp on anyone else’s vehicle if I needed that cover so that is not a big influence on the overall cost. I do have 2 other classic vehicles insured with this company which did help.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Insurance

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #4
Thanks for reply I’ll see if I can get a quote from some other company before I ring Dolmen’s on Monday Any ideas who else does camper insurance in south

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #5
killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #6
Flipper dipper is bang on - Stuarts is who we're with!

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #7
We paid €400+ in Dolmens in Jan, open drive, I think you can pay less but you pay a higher excess.
Also less if you only insure 3 named drivers.
Age of MH and age of insured persons may come into it too, ours MH is 2009.
Do Stuart’s insurance Jan - Dec ? Rather than from month of purchase.

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #8
There are only 2 insurance company in South. Stuart's is who im with and €325 and then there is dolmens they are 10 euro more at €335 .i was told a few years back when i got my first camper insurance that it was a flat rate for all campers provided you had a private car policy

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #9
I was told a couple years ago that Dolmen covered your Motorhome while at sea and others don’t. I don’t know if that is still or was ever true.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #10
My experience, Northern Ireland which may make a difference.

Dolmen were cheap for me but wouldn't allow a tow car.

Adrian Flux was cheaper and did allow the tow car. Around £260 I believe. So I went with them.

Reference being in a Club.... I would say I'm a member here..... just for the craic.
I'd bet it would qualify for the discount. They usually don't care what the club is, just looking to see you are an enthusiast.

doron
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #11
Adrian flux covers uk and is cheap,and class the south as europe. they say your alllowed 90 days in europe over the course of the year.They are brokers and you have to inform the underwriter if travelling to europe. Be careful and read the small print.
All the best.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #12
Thanks to your help I’ve renewed my insurance with Dolmens and the revised cost to me was €299. I’m really glad I got your help with this as I’ve been with Dolmens since 2007 and was paying way too high premium over the years

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #13
the power of mhc! there`s always someone along with an answer.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #14
Quite a lot of people just never question their renewal premiums and this lets the brokers add a percentage each year.
This is similar to the way in the past that people dealt with banks,once they opened an acc they were most probably there for life and getting the worst deal possible.
Anyone that pays a renewal without questioning it is most likely throwing money away.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #15
Absolutely right ntg. Every year when the renewal notes come in I get on the phone after doing some online quotes and barter. Usually gets a good result. This year however the quote, a multicar policy renewal (3 cars and house, building and contents) was £1735. Did my homework and talked for an hour, but they could only get it down to £1300. I am moving to another company with a like for like multicar and house package. £1075. Best result ever, and of course they will be told under no circumstances to auto renew (“for my convenience”). I use a separate debit card for online and other purchases were I don’t trust the supplier. I only load the amount of the purchase shortly before executing the deal. The card has no overdraft, so an auto renew will fail if they ignore my instructions.

Davy

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #16
That's why I use a Barclaycard, they cant auto charge, you have to authorise, and where I can Paypal.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #17
I had a situation around October 2017 where I tried to add my daughter to our fleet ins,she was approaching her 18th birthday but the insurers flatly refused.
I let it go until mid January 2018 when this policy was due renual and went to the brokers office and informed them that whoever I was insuring with again would be including my daughter and that I was willing to nominate 2no of the vehicles which she could drive also that I would not be accepting the proposed increase in premium which they were wishing to add as I was seeking other quotes.
That was a Saturday morning and I was asked to leave it with them until Monday which I agreed to,on Monday I got a call to say that the insurers were willing to add my daughter to the policy with no restrictions,she could drive any of the vehicles and guess what no increase in premium.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #18
Insurance is state sponsored robbery. But when you refuse to top up the pyramid scheme then they are forced to look at their cash cow ( you the customer ) and amend their approach.
It just takes time and awkward questions to get what you want.
Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #19
I think it actually amounts to state abdication of responsibility.
The law states that you have to have Insurance, but the Govt want private companies to provide this service? They should be mandated to offer at least 3rd party insurance, they already have a state claims agency for Government and Semistate bodies, so why can they not offer this to every motorist?
You already know the reason, the legal profession would be down massive sums of money and the cash cow for the government would start to dry up.
They retain a huge amount of money off the levies on each and every policy that is sold.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #20
I heard that the registration for a car in Australia is or was something like $300 that was the for nct tax and third party insurance, you then had the option to add your own insurance if the car was worth it, im not sure if that still is the case or the price has risen,

I wonder could our irish government work something like that?

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #21
NZ has a system where there is no compulsory insurance, You are covered under a Government scheme that everyone pays into through a levy. No personal injuries claims it all goes through the Govt Department.
It works well and most people that have experienced the system are in favour, 3rd party insurance is very affordable as a result.
But over here the vested interests would work against it because the gravy train would stop.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.