My Leisure Battery story

only read if you can be bothered.

Subject:

My Leisure Battery story

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #1
note
I have just read over this and it is much longer than I expected it to be. I don’t expect everyone to read it but if you are a person who doesn’t use EHU much and is in the market for new leisure batteries it may help.

Over the last couple of months we have noticed our leisure batteries were not performing as well as they had in the past. We accepted they were coming to the end of their usable life and decided to buy a new pair.

We usually use the van for about 80 – 90 nights per year and are hardly ever on EHU (hook up)(maybe 10 of those nights) We are heavy users on power drawing about 5amp per hour for around 12 hours per day I winter and less in summer.

The batteries were 2 x 100ah Banner Energy Bull (95751) which had come with our van from new 2 years previously. They had performed fairly well and I considered replacing with the same again but found them difficult to find locally. I wasn’t in any hurry to replace the batteries until this week. Last weekend we were away for 4 nights and on the afternoon of day 3 we were showing 11.5 volts. I decided to see how far I could push them before they failed. They did give up at 10PM on the evening of day 4.

I had read many thoughts on leisure batteries but was never able to find a satisfactory conclusion as to what I should buy when the occasion arose. The Banner batteries were ruled out due to local availability. I started reading in detail including referring the NCC leisure battery classification and discovered the following. These are Class A, B and C.

Batteries are also rated at different rates. We use the at the 20hour rate as we discharge at a higher current than other uses. This means many batteries are advertised as a higher amper hour than they actually are for our use. E.G. my banner is a 110ah but 100 at the 20hour rate.

Batteries are designed have a life which is measured in the number of cycles they will survive. This is connected in some cases to the depth of discharge (DoD). Some battery technology has a greater DoD ability than others. Simply put, the better the battery the further you can discharge it and it will have the ability to recover.

Our Banner 95715 batteries are Class 2 and designed to live for about 200 cycles which we accepted wasn’t bad.
I looked at which batteries were in the various NCC Classes and noticed the Class A batteries were expected to have many more cycles than those in the other groups. Some were ever listed as up to 20 times more.

I discovered there were almost all deep cycle batteries so I started looking into what they were. A deep cycle battery is designed to discharge to between 45 and 75% of its capacity. I thought this could be ideal for my job. The name Trojan kept coming up although not listed on the NCC list. I added a couple of Trojan models to my now growing list of possibilities.

There are also traction batteries but I didn’t go into them in any detail as most seemed too tall for the space I had available.
I also noticed that (Absorbent Glass Mat) AGM AND Gel batteries were available within the leisure range from a few manufacturers. These were usually claiming a higher cycle number. I knew I was probably wanting either an AGM Leisure battery or a deep cycle battery but two things were at the back of my mind.

1-Leisure batteries are generally designed to be discharged to 75 – 80% of their capacity.
2-Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged to anything up to 45% of their capacity.

So, I phoned around for info and prices. Here are few.
CARAVAN DEALER
110ah Platinum Leisure battery LB6110 for £117.50 (it was a 100ah at the 20 hr rate, was Class C and listed as 70 cycles)
MOTOR FACTORS
115ah Yuasa L35-115 Leisure battery for £135 (it was 115ah but Class C and listed as 85 cycles)
BATTERY DEALER ONE
110ah Leoch Adverturer 110SFL Leisure battery FOR £100 (it was 110ah, was Class C and listed as 200 cycles)
BATTERY DEALER TWO
100 Platinum PAGM Leisure battery for £165 (it was 110ah, was Class A and listed as 500 cycles)

I decided to go for the last one on the list above for Class and Cycles ability.

I arrived at the battery only retailer and discovered (from a poster on the wall) they sold Trojan Deep cycle batteries. I couldn’t believe my luck. I then interrogated the poor man working there. He was very helpful, answered all my questions and provided more info than I could imagine. I enquired about the Trojan 27TMX which was on my list. He said hang on a minute and went into the warehouse coming back a minute later with one to show me. He explained that using these for leisure use was ideal as that hold their voltage for much longer than any leisure battery including AGM and Gel. He suggested we could get up to 7 days without any charge and should expect around 2000 cycles. (we will see)

Basically he confirmed that deep cycle was much better for our use and Trojan was as good as you could get. All for the price of £168. This was only £3 more (per battery) than I was planning on spending on the AGM.

Total difference in price between buying a leisure battery from a caravan dealer and the Trojans was £101.

Batteries have now been fitted to our van without much bother and the testing begins this weekend.

So, if you are on EHU 90% of the time you might as well go for the cheaper option as it will give you a couple of days without it occasionally. If you are a heavy user like us consider paying a bit more or at least asking an expert.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: My Leisure Battery story

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #2
Sounds like good advice. It's not mentioned, but I assume you have a hefty solar set up?

Liked by: Audi12

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #3
Quote by The Rambler

Sounds like good advice. It's not mentioned, but I assume you have a hefty solar set up?

Just a 100 watt panel.
It worked well with the banners so should continue to do so.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #4
Good info there Mark,

Noticed my own Varta pair that are in since february 2011 are starting to take a long time to charge,
Id say i could be shopping soon

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #5
Nice write up mark, good info.
5 amp is quite a draw, is it your heating or compressor fridge etc..... just wondering.
I see a draw of possibly half that on line but my van is old and systems are more manual.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #6
Yeah that's an average of 60Ah per day during winter months. This couldn't be replaced by 100W solar so I guess you move around a fair bit and rely heavily on alternator charging.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Nice write up mark, good info.
5 amp is quite a draw, is it your heating or compressor fridge etc..... just wondering.
I see a draw of possibly half that on line but my van is old and systems are more manual.

The 5amp is a max.
All lights are factory fitted LED but can be a couple of amp alone with a few on.
TV is about 1.5amp and heating fan is about the same.
When testing the old batteries on Monday I switched on all lights, TV and heating fan. The draw was around 8amp.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #8
Quote by The Rambler

Yeah that's an average of 60Ah per day during winter months. This couldn't be replaced by 100W solar so I guess you move around a fair bit and rely heavily on alternator charging.

Not at all. We have been able to sit for up to 4 days at this time of year without moving or EHU.
Solar produces nothing worth talking about over the winter months.
It probably was over exaggerated at 5amp for 12 hours but is possible. LOL

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2018  ·  #9
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #10
Quote by mark

Not at all. We have been able to sit for up to 4 days at this time of year without moving or EHU.
Solar produces nothing worth talking about over the winter months.
It probably was over exaggerated at 5amp for 12 hours but is possible. LOL

Fair enough. Best of luck with the new batteries.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #11
I have heard a lot of reports of people having problems with banner batteries, apparently they need topping up quite frequently. What type of battery are the Trojan batteries, did you set you charger unit to the correct type? Which battery dealer did you get them from?

hulio
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Bailey 740
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #12
Will watch this thread with interest as I will be needing new batterys soon
(oh joy more Tesco points earned )

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #13
I've started and gotten a decent chunk into researching batteries a couple of times - and that write up is a brilliant summary and has made about the most sense of the topic that I've seen! Keen to see the follow through for you and how the deep cycle goes!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #14
Quote by the fat controller

I have heard a lot of reports of people having problems with banner batteries, apparently they need topping up quite frequently. What type of battery are the Trojan batteries, did you set you charger unit to the correct type? Which battery dealer did you get them from?

I had heard of people having issues with Banner batteries too John but I can't complain. One of ours had three low cells which I topped up with difficulty. (tight caps)

The controller has been recalibrated.

Trojan is the brand and they are deep cycle. I got them from UK batteries Ravenhill Business Park, Ravenhill Road, Belfast

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Battery write up

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #15
Thanks Mark,for a really usefully write up.
I need nothing at the moment (tarifa in Spain,)
But when we go home i am going to changed to two leisure battery's!
A really good post -thank you

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #16
Thanks for the info in post, very useful will come in handy in future

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2018  ·  #17
Great informative post. Learned a lot. Thanks.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #18
Bosch s5 or varta silver are good to as stop start cars use them so will take a hammering,the internal frames are silvered so will not break down for around 5 years before drop of,normal lead acid including trojan start going down from the day they are wetted out,mind you they are v good.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #19
I'm confused as to how you maintain charge, do you recharge every time you go home? Because 100w of solar is not enough to recharge Batteries fully at this time of year, you have 2x 105 Ah(C20) batteries giving a total of 210Ah
Thats a lot of capacity to charge up from a low state of charge, even with alternator charge it will take a long long time.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #20
Quote by the fat controller

I have heard a lot of reports of people having problems with banner batteries, apparently they need topping up quite frequently.

Have heard the same, I bought Banner due to a NCC video. Of course after I bought them I seen all the stories. So far the levels have not went down and I must have them at least a year.

I don't think much of them though, they are no where near as good as the Platinums I used to get and the Platinums were a lot cheaper. But.. and this is the big BUT..... I don't think I have been as dependant on blow heating before as much as I am now.

Interested to see how the Trojans perform for Mark.

We have been discussing batteries and I have mentioned the traction batteries a few times, but they are expensive and very tall, although the height wouldn't matter to me.

#bringbackthegasfire

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #21
Great research in the first post, Mark.
When I replaced a leisure battery last year, my supplier recommended that to minimise the amount of recharging cycles. When parked up for a few days without ehu and heavy demands for heating system, start the engine for ahout 10-15 minutes daily. This helps to stopping the batteries from becoming fully discharged.
An alternator should produce about 150 amps per hour.
Malcolm

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #22
Quote by Bounder

I'm confused as to how you maintain charge, do you recharge every time you go home? Because 100w of solar is not enough to recharge Batteries fully at this time of year, you have 2x 105 Ah(C20) batteries giving a total of 210Ah
Thats a lot of capacity to charge up from a low state of charge, even with alternator charge it will take a long long time.

Yes we charge from mains at home

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #23
Do you use a Victron or similar? I assume it must be a heavy duty type at any rate.
I am thinking of going to twin 6v flooded lead acid batteries next time, Trojan make quality batteries so I think the T105 6v in series will give me a decent Ah capacity, 225Ah x 2 I don't need to change mine just yet but I think it makes sense to upgrade the whole system another 100w panel and a quality solar controller and charger should be a decent investment.
I think the biggest problem that batteries face is continued undercharging, that kills them faster than anything else, at least those Trojan batteries can be opened and refilled with deionised water when they need it!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #24
The other thing that my supplier mentioned when I was changing batteries, pick them up. The heavier the better, because lead is expensive and lead it what makes the magic happen. Basically the more lead, the more recharge and longer life.
Malcolm

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #25
Quote by Bounder

Do you use a Victron or similar? I assume it must be a heavy duty type at any rate.
I am thinking of going to twin 6v flooded lead acid batteries next time, Trojan make quality batteries so I think the T105 6v in series will give me a decent Ah capacity, 225Ah x 2 I don't need to change mine just yet but I think it makes sense to upgrade the whole system another 100w panel and a quality solar controller and charger should be a decent investment.
I think the biggest problem that batteries face is continued undercharging, that kills them faster than anything else, at least those Trojan batteries can be opened and refilled with deionised water when they need it!

We don't use an inverter. Everything is 12volt.
I was looking at T105s but they were just too high for our battery box.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #26
The heavier the better sounds good but tell my back about it when changing 2 x110s. Mine are located in the double floor only accessed through a seat box so it’s a similar scenario as my water problem. Using both hands to lower in and balance on my knees trying not to fall in with the weight of the batteries. This motorhome will be the death of me

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #27
Quote by mark

I meant the battery charger not inverter, Victron IP22 or similar?
The T105 type batteries are tall for sure, much more so than the 12v ones.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #28
Quote by Bounder

Quote by mark

I meant the battery charger not inverter, Victron IP22 or similar?
The T105 type batteries are tall for sure, much more so than the 12v ones.

Sorry. I misunderstood.
The charger is part of the sargent unit in the van.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #29
First trial of the new batteries over 4 nights and 4 days.

Batteries are outside so affected by ambient temperature
Heating (drawing 1.5amp) was on for the whole duration. Evening use was about 4.5amps per hour.

Another two facts I have discovered are:
This model of Trojan battery does not have all of its amh capacity until after between 50 & 100 cycles.
The amh capacity is correct at 27°C and is reduced by 10% for every 9° below 27°.
So as the temperature was around 0°C for the whole time it can be expected that the 210amh would be reduced by 30% around making them about 147amh. Factor in that they are not supposed to be at full capacity for another 50 cycles I think they performed well.
Note the DoD is much more than a leisure battery but that is the deep cycle part I suppose.

-------------
Day one Friday 3 pm (arrival)
Volts 12.4
DoD (%) o
Solar input (amh) 0
Draw (amh) 0
Outside temperature (°C) +9.5

Overnight temperature dropped to -2.3

Day two Saturday 3 pm (after 24 hours use)
Volts 12.4
DoD (%) 21
Solar input (amh) 0
Draw (amh) 2.3
Outside temperature (°C) 0.5

Overnight temperature dropped to -2.1

Day three Sunday 3 pm (after 48 hours use)
Volts 12.0
DoD (%) 37
Solar input (amh) 0
Draw (amh) 2.7
Outside temperature (°C) -1.7

Overnight temperature dropped to -3.1

Day four Monday 3 pm (after 72 hours use)
Volts 12.4
DoD (%) 43
Solar input (amh) 0
Draw (amh) 1.7
Outside temperature (°C) 0.5

Overnight temperature dropped to -3.8 and snow on the ground.

Day five Tuesday midday (after 93 hours)
Volts 12.0
DoD (%) 54
Solar input (amh) 1
Draw (amh) 2.3
Outside temperature (°C) -1.8

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #30
Mark I have to say that is some results for 4 nights at this time of year,keep us updated on future results.👍

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #31
Good logging. Your solar really is doing nothing eh? I have a 100W panel and it would not be at all unusual to see the charge controller dumping in about 1.8 to 2.0 amps these days.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #32
Quote by The Rambler

Good logging. Your solar really is doing nothing eh? I have a 100W panel and it would not be at all unusual to see the charge controller dumping in about 1.8 to 2.0 amps these days.

There probably was the odd solar input at points in the day but not at the times I noted the readings. I tried to do them about the same time each day.
I hope it doesn't sound cheeky but to be honest unless the solar input is for continuous hours it is fairly useless. At this time of year it would uncommon to get hours of solar power.
Over the course of the four days it could have peaked at maybe 4amp but for a short time so not worth including.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #33
Hi Mark, not at all cheeky. We're only shooting the breeze. I just suspect you might be underestimating how many Amp-hours of solar charge you might just be getting. I can understand that some instantaneous readings of current provided by your solar charger might be close to zero, but to get a good figure of actual Amp-hours provided over the course of the day, would require logging current over the course of the day.

This is not something I have done myself but it makes sense that if I spot check the current provided by my solar charger and see readings of up 2 Amps, several times a day, then I suspect I am receiving a few Ahs of charge over the course of the day.

There is a good solar calculator online here. If I enter my location for the month of February, with my panel facing directly upwards, I would expect to see, on average, 1.26 kWh/m2/day. Converting this to Ah per day with my 0.567m2 panel at 18% efficiency, I get - 1260/12 * 0.567 * 0.18 = 10.71Ah.

10.71Ah might not be huge but is significant.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #34
Good link thanks.
I agree 10 ah is not insignificant. I wouldn't have thought I would have been getting anything like that this week but you never know.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #35
Checked the batteries today after 24 hours charge.
They are fully charged and back at 100% capacity. After disconnecting the charger for 60 minutes the voltage was 13.7 with now draw.

So, quick enough recovery considering how low they were taken.

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #36
They might be but they won't cost what a proven lead acid battery costs and require a different charging algorithm.
Have you priced one?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #37
I looked at lifePo4 briefly when changing but the prices stopped me from looking.
If I remember the lower end prices were around £850 each. Top end could have been £2500 ish

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #38
This is such a good thread I thought I would keep it going. My van has a Varta AGM Leisure battery and compatible charger. Interestingly the starter battery is a standard lead acid.

Now need to change the leisure battery. So can I fit any type of battery or do I need to stay with AGM. Having read all the stuff by A and N caravans I feel there are better batteries, particularly the latest ENhanced flooded batteries by Yuasa and Varta.

Any ideas welcome.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #39
Interesting thread Mark.

I didn't realise the ambient temperature would make such a big difference.

Have any of you hardy winter motorhomers considered fitting small heat pads to your leisure batteries for the colder months? To extend the Ah capacity? I wonder would it be worth the effort? Yeah you'd use some amps to heat the batteries, but I wonder would you still gain additional Ah capacity by keeping the batteries warm?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #40
Quote by Mark&Wendy

This is such a good thread I thought I would keep it going. My van has a Varta AGM Leisure battery and compatible charger. Interestingly the starter battery is a standard lead acid.

Now need to change the leisure battery. So can I fit any type of battery or do I need to stay with AGM. Having read all the stuff by A and N caravans I feel there are better batteries, particularly the latest ENhanced flooded batteries by Yuasa and Varta.

Any ideas welcome.

Most chargers that can handle AGM will have a setting for flooded batteries like the Varta ones so you can change the type

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.