TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Done to Death i know, But

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #1
Hi all, I know its been done to death, and i have used the search engine. But!!!

Does anyone know of a breakdown insurance cover for a Motorhome for us here in the South. I have basic cover through Dolmens insurance, but as we know if the van requires repatriation to Ireland say from France, they will only cover to around 650 euro.

I have e-mailed ADAC but as most have already found out, they have closed to new members from outside Germany.

Any i do find seem to have a 7M length restriction 3500KG weight, 3M height and 2.3M wide restriction.

Our van Doris is 6.99M and 3500KG, so fine but is 3.2M tall and 2.32 wide.
Looking at going to France this year, but do not want to be worried about getting Doris home, if the worst happens.!!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Done to Death i know, But

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #2
The Dolmens breakdown is part of the Axa insurance group. Maybe a phone call to Axa and see do they offer a better package because, I'm fairly sure that Axa provides insurance to the truck haulage industry.
Most of the local recovery trucks throughout Europe are only 7.5 ton gross, which means that anything heavier than 3.5 ton, the trucks are overweight.
Malcolm.

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #3
I have no advice/suggestions, but just wanted to thank you for pointing out the €650 limit for repatriation costs !

I never knew that, and have had the MH in France many times. Maybe what you dont know does you no harm after all. :D

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #4
I was renewing my insurance this morning & had a huge variation in quotes from £645 to £260. I went with Adrian Flux and they said I could get European breakdown cover for an extra £80 or so. I skipped it as I won’t be on the continent this year but it might be worth a look for anyone needing that. English companies treat the Republic of Ireland the same as continental Europe - as if I was in France - seems strange as I only live one mile north of the border. So if I breakdown in Newry I’m fine but if I breakdown in Dundalk I’m on my own.

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #5
Its crazy, because if you breakdown in France and you are from the North, there are loads of companies that will get you back, but if you live in the South, even 1 mile South of the Border, it seems you are stuffed.
And i would think the cost of getting you back from France to Newry costs as much as France to say Dundalk

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #6
In most cases when using insurance breakdown, their objective to deliver you to the nearest point of repair. From my experiences, they will try to drop you to the nearest garage possible, and your opinion doesn't matter.
When you're being recovered in France, a credit card details must handed over before a tow truck is despatched, because the contractor operator used by Axa may not have an operation within the area.
Malcolm

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #7
There was a crowd called Mondial AGA, when I goggled them I get Alliance Breakdown Assistance. Try them if you have not done so .

Yorkshire Girl
My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 765
Base Vehicle: Peugot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2018  ·  #8
Do you have Nationwide Building Society in Ireland? We have free breakdown included in our bank account and it covers over 7.5m.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #9
I think nationwide building society in Ireland needed it's own breakdown insurance but didn't pay the premium , WE did

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #10
This year as we were doing the final part of booking with Irish Ferries, up popped added question a special breakdown insurance price ...quote was €76 as we had booked for one month. My husband picked it (14 day cooling off period) he said Dolmen don’t repatriate from abroad which is why he took this policy despite some saying doubly insured.
It only covers travel in Continental Europe and journeys taken in Republic of Ireland not covered.

wicklowelk
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Swift Escape
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #11
If you ring ADAC and speak to them they may do it quote you.There is always English speaking reps on the phone.

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #12
I was lucky as I joined ADAC just before they stopped accepting members from outside of Germany. However this company may be able to help you, I have never been in contact with them but reading the website I think they may know a way to join. http://www.walsh-adac.com/

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #13
I had a bit of time today, so I had a hoof around the net with the purpose of exploring better breakdown cover for Europe. I turn up this site, http://www.roadrescue.ie/european-breakdown-cover.asp
For the next week or so, I am going to be too busy to follow this up. If anyone else has a bit of time on their hands, please follow it up and post here if this is an option.
Malcolm

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2018  ·  #14
Popped a query in!

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2018  ·  #15
road rescue ie, in policy book max length 5.3 Metres, so NBG!!!!

Starting to think i might do a car mechanics course and take a spare enginge!!!!!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #16
Nbg - no bloody good?

Obviously gagging for business , still haven't responded! Will chase them today but I'm guessing a non-runner from above!

Oldblowin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner Ixeo 585
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Multijet 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #17
Quote by R&N

This year as we were doing the final part of booking with Irish Ferries, up popped added question a special breakdown insurance price ...quote was €76 as we had booked for one month. My husband picked it (14 day cooling off period) he said Dolmen don’t repatriate from abroad which is why he took this policy despite some saying doubly insured.
It only covers travel in Continental Europe and journeys taken in Republic of Ireland not covered.

I had a look at the Irish Ferries insurance and see cover is limited (similar to that already included in our AXA policy from Stuart's):

"Returning the insured vehicle
Up to €750 for the cost of getting the insured vehicle to your home or a repairer in Republic of Ireland"

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #18
I know its of no use to residents of the Republic but Breakdown cover can be obtained through the Camping & Caravan Club. It is operated by the RAC and gives coverage on a personal based membership. There are no weight, height or length restrictions on a motorhome and it an be used on any vehicle even if your a passenger. It also offers European Rescue which also covers the Republic.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.