driftwood
My Motorhome: Plasy P70
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

motorhome vrt

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #1
Hello all,
I'm wondering has anyone any experience on bringing a foreign van into the State.
Specifically, We have had the van in the Country since August (5 months). We are only now getting around to VRT/NCT and it states that you must register within 30 days of coming into the State. I need to know has anyone been in this position? were they hit with a fine or was it ignored etc.
best regards

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

Re: motorhome vrt

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #2
A friend of a friend once told me about someone he heard saying that the nice man/lady in the vrt office might pass across a pen & paper when asking for the recipt to prove it only came in less than 30 days ago. ;-)

Having said that, it was a car, not a camper, os maybe its different offices / dept ?

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #3
Maybe you kept the van outside the state for the last 5 months (northern ireland) ? Your only have to pay vrt when the camper is permanently kept in the state.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #4
Did you not have it parked up with your friend among the bushes in Tyrone whilst you decided wether to keep it or not

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #5
And some lad let the receipt blow out the window whilst it was in Tyrone,

Id say they will be very happy to take your money and not cause too much hassel to ruffle your feathers.
After all they are gonna charge you 13.3% of what ever figure they pluck out of the clouds

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #6
When you purchased the vehicle is not important ,it is from the time you crossed the frontier is not exceeding 30 days. It is then it comes under the customs instructions for VRT

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #7
Find the cheapest return fare to the UK, bring the MH over and back. Show the vrt folks only the return ticket.
From my experiences of Revenue, they can backdate a tax and then charge a pile of interest onto it.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #8
If never taxed insured in ROI I'd say you had a lovely time parked off road in Tyrone fitting the new hub caps ,a difficult job at the best of times very time consuming 😁

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #9
If you want to be exact you could sell it to the little girl from Omagh or her cousin Danny from down the road by the Foyle , and change your mind and buy it back again, then you would have a dated receipt. Also I don't know if it still applies but when you move house from the UK to Ireland you were allowed to bring a motor vehicle duty free as part of you personal effects as long as it was at least 6 months and not above a certain value.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

motorhome vrt

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #10
" quote "
Also I don't know if it still applies but when you move house from the UK to Ireland you were allowed to bring a motor vehicle duty free as part of you personal effects as long as it was at least 6 months and not above a certain value.

My Brother came back home with that kind of deal, he brought home A Luton furniture truck with all his belongings and his car.He had to prove ownership of them for some time before he left the UK and he had to hold onto them for six months after he returned.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #11
Quote by sprinter

" quote "
Also I don't know if it still applies but when you move house from the UK to Ireland you were allowed to bring a motor vehicle duty free as part of you personal effects as long as it was at least 6 months old and not above a certain value.

My Brother came back home with that kind of deal, he brought home A Luton furniture truck with all his belongings and his car.He had to prove ownership of them for some time before he left the UK and he had to hold onto them for six months after he returned.

Day Dream
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #12
I have had this issue with a car , its very black and white, you either have a ferry ticket showing the date with the reg the vehicle came into the country or if claiming it came from the north you need an invoice dated with in the 30 days , best option is take a weekend away in the UK to get your ticket, you always have to show an invoice anyway , so be careful with dates, the penalty is either 0.01% or 0.001 % of the VRT value per day over the 30 days.
I was trying to VRT a car today and its day 30 of being in the country , i had 1 wrong piece of paper and i'm screwed , back a few days time and will get penalties.
My only option will be to pay and then appeal it as i could not get an appointment any sooner due to the amount of people importing cars.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #13
I would be very very careful with the revenue,I hope you had it locked away out of sight,because I'm sure if you had it on the public roads they would have spotted it.Maybe they are on here reading this post.
Good luck.Think of booking a one way ticket from Uk but how will you work the receipt.

driftwood
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2018  ·  #14
Thanks all for the replies. the van belongs to my wife she is a foreign national she bought the van 6 years ago but it was left in her Mothers abroad and was only used for holidays, she still has the original receipt. she tried going down the exemption route but the rev said no, the ferry ticket was august and since then we were toing and froing with rev about the exemption. also since then we just parked it up and started saving as we knew vrt was gonna be a couple of grand.
Anyway the info i have found is from the revenue operational manual.

the late fee is calculated as follows A x P x N
A=VRT
P=0.1%
N=No.of days

eg:
VRT calculated to be €1000.
62 days in State not registered.
Outstanding charge at 0.1%= €62

in my case im looking at a lot! we'll see its getting done in the next week so ill post back the results for future reference

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2018  ·  #15
Unfortunately, I expected as much from revenue. Don't let it spoil your dream.
Malcolm

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2018  ·  #16
The very best of luck,but you could not be dealing with a more ruthless bunch,and as Malcolm said dont let it spoil your dream.
Let us know how you get on

driftwood
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #17
so to update
went to the nct spot they took a few photo's, inside and out, were very friendly but under pressure for time, they said that when you book in they allocate them the same time to deal with a car as a camper not giving them more time due to photo's etc. the paperwork was all in order and it took about 30 mins for them to enter everything, they were in no way intrusive, no hard questions, just going through the motions, one thing of note was we had the original cert of compliance (birth cert) he said this greatly speeds things up as they have weight etc on it. only problem was it turned out my bloody german log book had it listed as a 5 seater, mines got 6 seatbelts!, so NCT dude gave me a list of accepted Engineers, went to 1 off the M50 then he had a gander filled out a conversion form for 6 seats and back to the NCT centre sent it all off and waited 4 days.

got a call from Rev telling me how much i owed, he also said that it would go up daily by €4 till i paid. this was based on the previous fine system i mentioned in the last post. stands me about €800 fine since we took the ferry (minus a month grace period) . Had to pay up that along with the VRT and was an extra €25 for reg plates, now organised for DOE. next week. after that insurance and tax. you cannot do the tax online first time for a camper you need to head in to Smithfield or post.
now i can appeal the late fee (if you feel you have a case) ill update later on that one.

overall it was fast and easy so far, i feel the price VRT that they charged me was not greedy, i had an amount in my head as a cut off and they came in just under that so i dont feel ripped off (but i do!) the scare stories i had read have not come to pass. hopefully this thread will help others in the future, ill update the appeal, tax etc when its sorted, but without a doubt the late fee is calculated in so bear that in mind when getting your ferry etc. more to follow
regards all, keep on truckin!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

motorhome vrt

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #18
You stand a much better chance of getting something back,when you are up to date with with them and are seen to be doing everything to sort out the situation .
The rip off or not.
Let's face it ,no one wants to pay tax, these guy's have a job to do , and we
all would be happy if all other government departments did their job as efficiently. Unfortunately rules are rules , in your case that's all they have done is applied them. ( they didn't take it off you, which they have the right to do if a vehicle is not legally in the county )
I think you have a very good case to appeal the fines now that you're up to date.
As you have found forget the scary stories , just deal with it , it only takes time.
Best of luck :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.