Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B514SL
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducati 2.3 130 ps
Subject:

Correct Tyre Pressures

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #1

Hi,

Taken the Motorhome for it's weekly run and wan't to check all the Tyre pressures it's a 2009 Ford Transit T3
50 140ps twin wheel 185/75/16 Tyres. The manufactures Plate 68.2psi Front 50.8 Rear but i'd be thinking that was for commercial use!! 3.500kg Gross weight.

Anyone running the same Motorhome and any suggestions Please.

Thanks

Declan

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

Re: Correct Tyre Pressures

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #2
The tyresafe calculator says 69psi front and rear based on your specs.
I would take it to the closest weighbridge and weigh both axles and work from there personally, usually the closest waste station will have a decent weighbridge.
https://www.tyresafe.org/check-your-pressures/motorhomes/

Hymer Cork
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B514SL
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducati 2.3 130 ps
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #3
I weighed it Fully Loaded last summer 3.450kg with bikes/water tank 3/4 full and two gas bottles so it running nearly at it's limit..Now the Garage could do with taking out all the bit's that we never us...but I know if I take that stuff out it's the time I'll need it..Jump Leeds/Tool Box/Socket Set/Puncher Repair Kit/Spare water Pump/Spare Wheel/Fuses/Bulbs/Spare Cassette..Maybe I need to re Weight as the Garage seems to be after filling up lol...

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #4
Its hard to do without for sure, but at that weight I'd be running the recommended pressures of 69psi
You can get weight down for sure by carrying less stuff, I know that half the clothes we brought last year were never worn.
Buy a small 3/8 socket set a couple of pliers and some extra wide gorilla tape and a small bottle of oil and you will be able to do most things, if anything bigger needs doing buy or borrow the tools.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #5
I contacted Michelin and Continental with my axle weights and tyre specs. The answer was 2 psi higher on the front and 7psi lower at the back than the website above.
I don’t know if that would make any real difference but I’m happier using the manufacturers recommendation.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #6
Mr Rimor, dont forget a tow rope, if you ever get stuck on soft ground ,there js a good chance you will have somebody around to give a tow but no rope. I carry and have used it,a flat nylon type tow rope which rolled up, does not take any space and little weight.

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #7
If you ever have to use a rope or strap to tow hang a towel or jacket over the midpoint of the line, if anything breaks or snaps the rope will fold around the material and not come straight back at the vehicle, Parting ropes can cause a lot of damage and are extremely dangerous.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2018  ·  #8
Getting back onto the orginal topic in relation to tyre pressures. The manufacturers plate is only relevant to the orginal set of tyres fitted, because the tyres are only changed due to be out of date, not milage worn.
With the mainstream tyre manufacturers constantly changing their designs, the rubber composition, thread patterns to stay ahead of the counterfeit, I think that the tyre pressure changes with each set of tyres fitted.
However there is a balance to be struck between the maximum tyre pressure for full payload and ride comfort with 80% payload. I reckon that a MH weighting is necessary with your average load . Most local agri merchants will do it for a fiver, cash in pocket, no docket.
If you are not hitting the full payload weight then tyre pressure can be dropped in proportion to give a better ride comfort.
Just my thoughts,
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Bounder

If you ever have to use a rope or strap to tow hang a towel or jacket over the midpoint of the line, if anything breaks or snaps the rope will fold around the material and not come straight back at the vehicle, Parting ropes can cause a lot of damage and are extremely dangerous.

That's great advise, not a lot of people would know unless they have been involved in offroading.

I've windshields with big holes after a big heavy rope backlashed on a failed recovery attempt while not using the method described above.

Tremendous amount of forces are involved on getting a big heavy vehicle unstuck.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.