Kennels on Rosslare/Cherbourg route

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

Kennels on Rosslare/Cherbourg route

· 
Posted: 04.10.2015  ·  #1
Has anyone had experience of using the kennels on the Irish Ferries boat from Rosslare to Cherbourg. I usually head south in December and travel through the UK but I find the drive from Fishguard to Folkestone an awful chore. I wonder if the kennels are ok and particularly if one can access the kennels during the sailing. I have used the Brittany ferries kennels on a number of occasions and the access is great but unfortunately they won't be sailing in December. Any help would be appreciated.

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Kennels on Rosslare/Cherbourg route

· 
Posted: 04.10.2015  ·  #2
Stena Line allow you to leave the dog in the van and you can go down at a certain time to walk them around the cardeck, we have done this a number of times. Also they don't charge for dog saving you about 70 euro each way.
Use this link and save 25% also :up:
http://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2015  ·  #3
Came across last Wed and can confirm that you have access to the kennels at any time also walk the dogs if you want . Good tip is to get a cabin like number 513 as this is very close to the dogs - two little yappy ones kept us awake all night . ha ha. You could sit on deck all night with your dog if you want as one very committed elderly lady did.
We now know to ask for cabin away from the dogs if we want to get some sleep .

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2015  ·  #4
In 2013 they were double height, so if you have a large dog get there early; no way our lab could have jumped up.
I think there were only 8.

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2015  ·  #5
Hi spatuladad123

Just wondering one more thing about the kennels on Irish Ferries. When you say you can take the dogs for a walk about - is it on a car deck or is it an open deck. I saw somewhere else that on the Oscar Wilde, the kennels are on car deck No 4 so I'm a bit confused. I'm not sure I'll want to go outside in December anyway but want to check just in case.
Thanks
Aileen

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2015  ·  #6
On Irish Ferries you walk the dog at allocated times on the car deck so you will be indoors , access is about 3 times in the evening and once in the morning , with Stena access is unlimited but the walking is on deck and the dog/cat travels free a conciderable saving on ferry cost

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2015  ·  #7
Thanks for all the info.

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2015  ·  #8
Sorry, my post was for the STENA [Celtic Link] boat.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2015  ·  #9
Sorry , only noticed your question. The ' walkway ' is the passageway between the outside cabins on deck 4 and the side of the ship , so although it is outside there is a deck sheltering you from overhead and a chest high wall ( the ships side ) most of the way along , so pretty sheltered. Hope you understood this.
PS The only people you are likely to see there are smokers or dog walkers- unless people in cabins forget to pull their curtains mmmm. ( It happened , got an eyeful)

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2016  ·  #10
Oh dear , just noticed I gave advice for the Stena Horizon crossing but the OP was asking about Irish Ferries- ow well , perhaps it will help someone for this year.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #11
Last post here on this Dogs/Ferries thread was 2 years ago....there may be other similar topics.
We are booked in May on Irish Ferries with the €45 each way kennel.

Read the various bits concerning pets.
So you put your dog in your own cage and you carry dog inside cage on foot from MH to terminal....not dog walking on lead.
You do the paperwork.....then do you walk from terminal to ship to Deck 4, carrying cage, then walk back off again to you motorhome?
Or does dog stay with you till you park on board with the relevant documentation after you have had it checked in terminal?

There seems to be this thing about the cage...won’t be allowed on board without it.
So on board does your dog stay in your cage if so why are you paying for a kennel?

If only allowed visit certain times, is there crew on board keeping an eye on them?
If you think sea will be rough, is there a dog sea sick pill.
(Actually what human sea sick pill is best ...I used Stugeron 15mg tablets (Cinnarizine) ...
some sea conditions are more sickening than others.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #12
Travelled with our Jack Russell last March 2017, Irish Ferries on the Odcar Wilde.
Never had the dog in a cage.
Walked on a lead to the kennels on board. Good kennels, tempature controlled environment, not sure about staff being there all the time.... don’t think so. Dog poo bags for your use, walking them is on the car deck in a specified area.
On return from France walked the dog thru the French terminal on her lead, got her chip scanned and passport checked, walked her back to van and when on-board it was the same as the crossing before.

It may have changed since then, were with Stena this time.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.