Keeping Warm

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

Brrrr

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #1
Ye are hardy ! How do ye keep warm..I've been out at the van all evening working and im frozen !!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Campsites open all year round

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #2
Ye are hardy ! How do ye keep warm..I've been out at the van all evening working and I'm frozen !!

What sort of heating have you got. If on a camp site with EHU , its always handy to have a small blow heater .Lidl/Aldi have them every year.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

Re: Keeping Warm

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #3
Electric if EHU available, otherwise gas. Sometimes both, I had refillable LPG fitted recently so I'm not as tight with the gas anymore!
Silverscreen external on the windscreen to keep the heat in and the condensation down.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #4
We just use the gas heater, does a great job - and close the blinds once turning the heating on as they act as insulators... Always bring a hot water bottle and ingredients for a hot whiskey...and love being out in the winter! :)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #5
Hi night owl, if you post a bit of information about your camper as in made, model, year or a few photos, there enough of folks here to advise you .
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #6
This reminds me that I need to make sure my gas heater is in working order :P

I even got a warm sleeping bag for my better half as she's always cold.

For personal use and being able to enjoy the winter in and out of the van, use merino wool base layers. Makes a huge difference!!!

Cheers,
Rami

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Thorn123

Hi night owl, if you post a bit of information about your camper as in made, model, year or a few photos, there enough of folks here to advise you .
Malcolm

Awh thanks.... its a 01 ford transit. lovely done on the inside... battery is shakey and feels fierce rickety to drive... the mechanic will be taking a look at it during the week...hope its a quick fix !

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #8
Diesel vs gas heating ?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Keeping Warm

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #9
I have a 15 year old Propex Heatsource gas single outlet, works great, now, it is deducted to the front and rear bed area.
The way I see it ,if you have nothing then you need to look at.
The price of the unites , instillation, I don't think running cost come into it , you will probably have more diesel available then gas ,
Then, do you need hot water also, you can get heaters that heat the air as well as hot water. there is the option of a space heater like you have in a Caravan ( Personally don't like them ) After that you have to decide if you are happier having something running on gas or diesel while you sleep .
Either way you should have , Gas and Carbon Monoxide, detectors fitted in the motorhome.
Google Campervan Heating and Hot Water you will get some good information on whats available.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #10
I have a oil fire plug-in electric radiator type heater, and also a small convector heater.
The convector gives immediate heat when you arrive on site. The radiator type heats slowly but is very safe and will keep the van very pleasantly warm all day/night. In winter we always use campsites for the electrics. I use gas for hot water. I recently changed the battery on the igniter. I had difficulty getting the cover back on, so when I get it on I promptly took off again to understand how it goes on. Now the heater won’t work....clown😞. Next visit will be to installer!,
Franco

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #11
we use a small oil filled rad as well. its a 0.45kw one we got in argos for around 30 euro. we always go to campsites with ehu when its cold because we have a kid under 2 with us. it keeps the van nice and warm all night and has a fairly good thermostat in it. i wouldnt expect it to heat a big camper too well but it does the job for our t4. have looked at propex and eberspacher heaters but at the minute its not an option due to cost. if the family grows anymore we will look at getting a bigger camper with all the bells and whistles.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2017  ·  #12
We use a 2 kw blow heater and an 800w oil filled radiator when on site. Most of our winter camping is while we are skiing in France and we have never felt cold in the van. We use external silver screens and hang a blanket between the cab and rear of the van as most of the cold comes from the cab area. The oil filled radiator is left on all night and keeps the chill off. The ski clothes are dried in the van and we have never had a problem with condensation as we leave the door open for about half an hour each day when we come back from skiing. If not on site at an Aire and running on gas a 13kg bottle of propane lasts just over 4 days.we need to run the generator to top up the batteries. The van is winterised so we have no problems with water freezing

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #13
Tommy- that's the dream! I told my better half that's how we should do it! It's years away yet... But I'd absolutely love to do it!!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #14
Often thought of skiing trips in the van but felt it was quicker and cheaper to fly also half board in the hotel is handy

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #15
Quote by eirebus

Often thought of skiing trips in the van but felt it was quicker and cheaper to fly also half board in the hotel is handy

My son is gone over to the Alps to work for the season,looked into bringing the van,hell of a lot cheaper to fly also have a place to stay now.
Still dont like the snow,much prefer the sun :sun:

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #16
We combine the two things we like the most. Skiing and motorhoming. Must sit down sometime and compare the prices. Up until a few years ago we used Tesco vouchers to the full and only had to pay a nominal amount for the boat fare It has its pluses and minuses. The plus is We can move and follow the snow, We can be beside the slopes,being able to take our own ski equipment As we are not partying every night we can relax in our own home and not sitting in a hotel room. The minuses, taking in all the beautiful scenery en route to and from the ski area, meeting like minded skiers/motorhomers. Able to full the van with as much wine as we want. Sorry did I say minuses, I don’t think so

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Keeping Warm

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #17
Quote by eirebus

Would you have to use a hook and drag or a chair lift to get the van up onto the slopes :lol:

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2017  ·  #18
They have trouble enough trailing me up

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.