Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

Replacing vinyl floor and fixing spongy feeling

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #1
Good day chaps,

I'm about to go out and replace the vinyl floor on my MH. Just a little upgrade to make it a bit nicer and up to date. Bought my vinyl already and I'll probably start tomorrow removing the old one.

Any recommendations other than a knife/scrape tools and possibly a heat gun?

Also, there's a spot where I'm not sure if it's a bit soft due to delamination or if it's just that the old vinyl is a bit unglued, I'll confirm when I get the old floor out but I was looking at the poly and dowels kits on eBay.

Do those work as good as they say? If so, I'll definitely the time to do it if it's indeed delaminated.

I'm guessing that's nothing special just poly resin right? Any recommendations on where to get it in the south without going the eBay route and having to wait for a few days to get them?

(Ideally Cork, but anyone local that'll ship it will be much quicker for sure).

Any tips and tricks are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Rami

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Replacing vinyl floor and fixing spongy feeling

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #2
Be careful putting resin into the floor as the reaction with the resin creates heat and the heat melts the existing poly bead insulation leaving a hollow below,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Replacing vinyl floor and fixing spongy feeling

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #3
Just be sure not to use a Biro yo mark it ,ink doesn't come off .

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #4
Quote by mad max

Be careful putting resin into the floor as the reaction with the resin creates heat and the heat melts the existing poly bead insulation leaving a hollow below,

Oh really? I've seen plenty of videos and sites with recommendations and never seen any warnings other than not drilling through the bottom later. I mean the whole thing with the poly is just to reinforce and feel the gaps that the delamination causes.

But interesting hearing about "secondary effects" if there's any, as the floor is really not bad at all. To the point that I think it might just be the vinyl coming loose, but as I said... If I'm there and there's a little bit of delamination might just take care of it now.

Cheers,
Rami

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #5
(Quote by RTV)
Good day chaps,

I'm about to go out and replace the vinyl floor on my MH. Just a little upgrade to make it a bit nicer and up to date. Bought my vinyl already and I'll probably start tomorrow removing the old one.

Also, there's a spot where I'm not sure if it's a bit soft due to delamination or if it's just that the old vinyl is a bit unglued, I'll confirm when I get the old floor out but I was looking at the poly and dowels kits on eBay.

Do those work as good as they say? If so, I'll definitely the time to do it if it's indeed delaminated.

I'm guessing that's nothing special just poly resin right? Any recommendations on where to get it in the south without going the eBay route and having to wait for a few days to get them?

Cheers,
Rami

New vinyl will make a great difference to your floor. I was involved in this trade for a lifetime and could possibly offer a little advice. If your floor has old glue residue or any other imperfections you may like to consider a layer of 4mm Mdf or Ply fastened to the floor first (not intended to cover any delamination of course) and then get yourself enough fairly decent paper to cover your entire floor. Lining paper for walls is ideal stuck together with masking tape to keep it altogether. Then fit the paper very carefully writing any notes or information upon it as you go, door, table leg etc. this will prevent you from accidentally turning it over. Now roll out your vinyl on a flat surface and place the paper template which you have just made on the top of it carefully drawing around the edge. If you accidentally cut the paper short you can make a small modification to make your template perfect. Now cut your vinyl shape out with a sharp pair of scissors or a knife and lay on your floor. Do not stick it down unless it is absolutely necessary say at a door perhaps as vinyl needs to relax and take its own shape. If you stick it, it may bubble up and cause problems.
I do hope this will help you.
Floorman

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #6
Hopefully you won't need 'em.

Glassfibre and Resin Supplies in West Cork
021 4631711

CH Marine Ltd- Cork Branch
Marine Supply Store
Unit 4-5, Frankfield Industrial Estate, Frankfield Road, · (021) 431 570

Union Chandlery
Marine Supply Store
4-5 Penrose Quay, Cork, (021) 455 4334

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Floorman

(Quote by RTV)
Good day chaps,

Cheers,
Rami

New vinyl will make a great difference to your floor. I was involved in this trade for a lifetime and could possibly offer a little advice. If your floor has old glue residue or any other imperfections you may like to consider a layer of 4mm Mdf or Ply fastened to the floor first (not intended to cover any delamination of course) and then get yourself enough fairly decent paper to cover your entire floor. Lining paper for walls is ideal stuck together with masking tape to keep it altogether. Then fit the paper very carefully writing any notes or information upon it as you go, door, table leg etc. this will prevent you from accidentally turning it over. Now roll out your vinyl on a flat surface and place the paper template which you have just made on the top of it carefully drawing around the edge. If you accidentally cut the paper short you can make a small modification to make your template perfect. Now cut your vinyl shape out with a sharp pair of scissors or a knife and lay on your floor. Do not stick it down unless it is absolutely necessary say at a door perhaps as vinyl needs to relax and take its own shape. If you stick it, it may bubble up and cause problems.
I do hope this will help you.
Floorman

FLOORMAN to the rescue!!! hahah... can't get any luckier than this :)

I was thinking of using the old vinyl as a template as I know it's already cut to shape, once I start pulling it out I'll what do I end up with, hopefully not too bad.

Unfortunately, I have a few doors and deploying panels at the base of the seats and bench which will not allow me to put anything that will rise my floor, so I'll have to work to remove the old glue residue.

So you're saying not to glue the whole vinyl just at the edges? That's an excellent tip as I was planing on putting glue all along the length of the vinyl. Will it not flap around after?

Thank you for your expert advise!!!

Quote by JoeO'S

Hopefully you won't need 'em.

Glassfibre and Resin Supplies in West Cork
021 4631711

CH Marine Ltd- Cork Branch
Marine Supply Store
Unit 4-5, Frankfield Industrial Estate, Frankfield Road, · (021) 431 570

Union Chandlery
Marine Supply Store
4-5 Penrose Quay, Cork, (021) 455 4334

Excellent info, thank you. The one if Frankfield is 10' away from home.

:D This is great stuff lads, much appreciated.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #8
RTV, I'm glad I can be of some assistance to you. The old glue will have to be scraped off very carefully, I would use a proper scraper which you can by in any DIY store, they are about 4 inches wide and have replaceable blades. Hire shops should be able to loan you one of the more professional ones which you can use standing up
As for sticking I personally wouldn't stick it around the edge as it will have nowhere to relax to. Only if you must at a door perhaps. The weight of the vinyl should keep it down after it gets to room temperature.

Floorman

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2017  ·  #9
Thanks bud.

Well, I started taking things apart and funny enough the vinyl that I wanted to replace was not glued at all so it was just a matter of taking it out once I removed all the seats, etc.

Now, underneath that funny enough is what I think it's the original vinyl of the van that runs all the way across. To completely remove that I'll definitely have to take everything apart including kitchen, wardobe, etc which unfortunately is a job that goes beyond what I intended to set myself to... it's a shame because I would definitely like to do it 100% proper but there's really no need to.

There's just a small portion that feels a bit loose so I'll see if I can buy the poly resin and do the dowels trick.

Mr. FLOORMAN, do you see any issues on putting the new vinyl on top of the old one? I know that it's far from ideal but technically didn't cause any issues thus far. I wouldn't be gluing it any ways as the previous one didn't move at all.

Cheers,
Rami

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2017  ·  #10
Rami,
That would be fine to do as long as there are no raised surfaces on it. When you are attending to your floor fault just cut a nice even square out of the old vinyl so you can replace it easily. When vinyl relaxes it will take the shape of anything below it.
Floorman.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2017  ·  #11
Well... after getting caught in other small jobs, I finally got around to do this over the weekend.

I removed all the old furniture and removed the old nasty vinyl. Then I confirmed that there was in fact a little bit of delamination on a very small portion of the floor so I cut a little 30x20cm window and did the one shot poly resin and dowels solution which worked like a charm. Since it was cold I let that cure for 48hs just to play it safe.

In the mean time, I took a lot of measurements and using the old vinyl as a rough guide, I marked the new vinyl and cut it using a metal straight edge and scalpel knife which is very precise and goes through the material like butter. Took my time and it was a thing of measure twice and cut once.

I cleaned and prep the floor making sure there was no debris or lumps and once perfectly dry I placed the new vinyl.

It was a perfect fit from edge to edge with all the vents and corners perfectly placed, just need to do some minor trim around some molding that I couldn't be bothered to remove before hand.

No glue was needed as all the furniture on top is bolted to the floor making it impossible to move and if anything down the line, I don't have to worry about messy glue ups.

Very happy with the result, it definitely rejuvenates the van and makes it much more cosy inside. A little bit of work but definitely doable at home with basic tools :)

Highly recommended. Hat tip to FLOORMAN for his guidance and excellent tips!

Cheers,
Rami

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2017  ·  #12
Good Job!
Bravo "Floorman" for the excellent guidance.

What resin product did you use?

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2017  ·  #13
Quote by JoeO'S

Good Job!
Bravo "Floorman" for the excellent guidance.

What resin product did you use?

To be precise, I bought this exact kit:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Carava…2749.l2649

Worked like a charm, dead easy to apply too. Just take your time pouring the resin.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2017  ·  #14
Rami......................I'm proud of you!

Good quality flooring well fitted will last for years...well done!

(thanks for the acknowledgement)

Floorman.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2017  ·  #15
Well... I finally got myself time to sit on the computer at home and share some images of the process. I did forget to document a few steps like fixing the spongy floor, but it wasn't really that exiting to be honest..

But anyways, here's a few pics:

1) Took the seats apart and moved the water tank to be able to lift that portion of the seats to fit the new vinyl underneath. You can definitely see the mess in the second photo :D

2) Very simple and legible measurements (yes, they make perfect sense to me):

3) Due to the size of the vinyl roll, I had to do it in two pieces, front and back so here's the first portion, testing for fitment and fine tuning the cut:

...... cont....

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2017  ·  #16
4) As mentioned before, there was no need to glue it up since the seats go on top and it gets screwed in, here's with the base seats back together. It's worth mentioning that I took the opportunity to replace all screws with new ones and did some repairs to the existing good patching a few cracks, etc

5) The back portion with had a lot more turns and bits to trim off but I unfortunately didn't document the process plus the transition trim which came up just perfect

6) The finished product:

I'm over the moon with the results, what a difference it makes!!

Cheers,
Rami

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2017  ·  #17
Very nice!
You have really added to the Value of your Motorhome :up:

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2017  ·  #18
Well done!
I think you have done a brilliant job.
It looks excellent!

Include yourself on my 'Early Christmas Card' (previous post)

Floorman

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2017  ·  #19
Looks like you did a good job Rami,
Well done,

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2017  ·  #20
Looks great, top class job.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2017  ·  #21
Thanks lads, much appreciated! :)

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2017  ·  #22
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.