Chassis resealed

Daffysparks

Subject:

Chassis resealed

· 
Posted: 18.11.2017  ·  #1
I picked up the camper today after getting the entire chassis and subframe resealed. Wheels, exhaust, subframe removed, chassis bead blasted
2 coats of gpls primer then 2 coats of black mastic on top. Looks a great job and photos of the work done at various stages. Not a cheap job, especially as a few other problems found as well. In the end I got the exhaust repaired and galvanized also the support bracket for radiator( not the correct name) bead blasted and galvanized. Likewise the wheels. Also got a new radiator installed as old one was pretty well knackered. A guarantee with all the work too.
€1200 for the chassis work for anyone curious of the cost. A lot of money but I have seen 40 foot artic trailers done with the same stuff, still rust free after 15 years, so I’m happy to pay for the peace of mind.
A word of warning though. You will have a layer of dust inside if they need to bead blast, even though he sealed and covered all windows and doors. I done the front and herself the back. Guess I got the handy end of that one. Anyone want any info on it, ask away.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Chassis resealed

· 
Posted: 18.11.2017  ·  #2
Daffy, this may sound like a stupid question, how did ye manage to avoid damaging the cables, brake lines, fuel pipes, etc, that run along the chassis rails?
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2017  ·  #3
Anything that can be taken off is or at least eased forward. A very fine jet is used and is quite accurate. Anything that has to be avoided is covered by a thin flexible metal shroud. To be honest there was very little left fixed to chassis when it was being blasted.
It is a slow job. They had it for two full weeks. Hence the cost

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Chassis resealed

· 
Posted: 18.11.2017  ·  #4
Sounds like a great job ,its a bit like at our age , new knee / hip ,maybe a few stents, I hope you will see it out :'(

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #5
Ha yep that’s the plan. Love the layout. Suits us fine. She may be an elder lady but if she is in my company she will be treated like a princess

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.