Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Ex Coppers advice

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #1
Obviously an English Copper's view.. but what do you think?

Ex-copper writes:

Hi guys, I'm new to this and really like the idea of sharing tips etc! I get my new Motorhome in a couple of weeks and plan to be a 'full-timer' for a while, so I'll definitely be looking for some help and ideas on where to stay! Poke fun if you like about me just retiring from the cops (I didn't like some of the things they do either) but having seen some of the confusion on here about (amongst other things) parking, maybe I can help a little.... Unless your vehicle is causing an obstruction or causing a danger in some way, the police have absolutely no power whatsoever to get you to move your vehicle from its overnight parking place; NONE. If you find the police knocking on your door during the night asking you to move, they are probably just sick of local residents making complaints about strangers sleeping in vehicles in their neighbourhood and using the 'ways and means act' to get you to move. A minority of overnighters may even be spoiling things by littering or being generally anti-social. I strongly suggest you deal with a knock on your door by being respectful to the cops (cops don't like stroppy people) and then get your phone out and politely visually record the contact; SERIOUSLY. Alternatively, don't answer the door and they will go away. If you do answer, ask for their name, collar number and which police station they are from. Then (politely) ask them under what authority they are acting under to ask you to move (they won't be able to answer that bit). They will then just probably waffle about complaints blah blah. You will establish at this point that they have absolutely no power to move you and you are in a position to politely decline their invitation to leave, should you wish. Also, as far as I'm aware, if a local authority sign stipulates 'No overnight sleeping' on an official parking sign, there's no such offence that I know of and it's extremely unlikely to result in you receiving a ticket (especially during the night). Unless you find yourself in the 1% of council areas that the police enforce parking, it's something that is very hard to prove, so will probably be avoided anyway. If you see a sign that simply states 'No Overnight Sleeping' and doesn't look official, it isn't and not enforceable. I can't cover every scenario in a single paragraph, so if anyone has any questions or bespoke situations about parking or 'being in charge', please feel free to ask.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Ex Coppers advice

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #2
I could never understand the 'No Overnight Sleeping' or other variants of the supposed regulation.
How can such an activity be proven in a motorhome with all the blinds closed.

If the occupants are asleep there will be no response to an attempt to ascertain if someone is sleeping in the vehicle, unless forcible entry is made, which presumable required a search warrant or such.

If the occupants respond to the knock on the door then they are awake, so no sleeping activity can be witnessed/proven,

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #3
Why is it recommended if you are on a journey and feeling tired to pull over and take a rest/sleep....surely it is safer than driving on and on and falling asleep at the wheel.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #4
Very well put and makes sense although I just park anyway and no one has ever asked me to move on.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #5
How many people have ever been prosecuted for parking overnight where there was a sign saying no overnight parking?That is how i look at it and my opinion is that my vehicle is road legal and i will park where ever i deem it to be safe and not obstructing anyone. These signs are nothing more than scare tactics and i treat them as so.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #6
Quote by ntg

How many people have ever been prosecuted for parking overnight where there was a sign saying no overnight parking?That is how i look at it and my opinion is that my vehicle is road legal and i will park where ever i deem it to be safe and not obstructing anyone. These signs are nothing more than scare tactics and i treat them as so.

Agree with that.

Anyone here ever been asked to move on?

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #7
That's good piece of advice alright.

I guess that if you keep your footprint small, keep things tidy and practice common sense, you'll never have any issues.

I'll say that it's 80% up to us and the remaining 20% to you classic "I want to speak to your manager" villager mentality where they'll report their own mother for under cooking the meat and those will most likely get disregarded by the garda.

Cheers,
Rami

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

Quote by ntg

Agree with that.

Anyone here ever been asked to move on?

Never been asked to move on. As has been said if you park sensibly, dont cause an obstruction and dont stay to many nights shouldnt be a problem.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #9
Good topic and discussion. I've often wondered about this situation happening, having had a few drinks after parking up for example ?

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #10
I always felt I would use the “had a few glasses, and too tired to drive” excuse. However I had never needed to use the excuse so far, so I wonder what the response would be. In the final analysis, worst outcome would be a parking ticket, but I really feel safety would be the deciding factor.
Incidentally, if they did ‘persuade’ you to move, might you be immediately be subject to the breathalyser..?..
Franco

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #11
I think that people are worrying about possible drink driving breathizering when over night parking. Truckers have been at it for years, and I don't remember a conviction about such. Certainly there is a risk of the breathizer when moving on the next day but that's in the drivers control.
Malcolm

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #12
Agree with ntg , all you need to say is you wern't feeling well and you needed to stop,

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #13
If you have been drinking nobody ,police ,courts ,parking warden's etc can make you move as they would be making you break the law ,and too tired to drive is another good one

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Ex Coppers advice

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #14
I met a couple in Lough bora who
asked if I did the Killarney hotels, he explained how he parks in the hotel carparks and has a few pints and maybe a show, if anyone says anything he just explains that since they were happy to serve him drink he can't very well drive now.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #15
Quote by sprinter

I met a couple in Lough bora who
asked if I did the Killarney hotels, he explained how he parks in the hotel carparks and has a few pints and maybe a show, if anyone says anything he just explains that since they were happy to serve him drink he can't very well drive now.

That's cheeky, but not a bad idea as a "last resource" I guess.

I'll depend on the size of the park and hotel occupancy I guess, might raise a few issues if they run out of space for guests. Don't think they would bother otherwise.

Friend of mine had a few overnights at farms, where your man had no issues allowing him to park on a side. Granted, you have to get there at a decent hour and maybe offer a few beverages in exchange.

Cheers,
Rami

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #16
Was in the Gleneagles in Killarney recently and there was an adventure race on the Saturday and there was a few camper vans in the hotel car park overnight and they looked occupied.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Ex Coppers advice

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #17
Quote by Eamonn

Was in the Gleneagles in Killarney recently and there was an adventure race on the Saturday and there was a few camper vans in the hotel car park overnight and they looked occupied.

That was their favourite place ,all the facilities no room rate.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #18
Quote by Eamonn

I think some bars/hotels don't mind some over-night stays in the car park if you are giving them business.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #19
Or sneaking in the back door to use your mates shower and loo

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.