My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Hob ring acting the maggot.

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #1
Hi All,

Looking for some help.
One of my gas hob rings is (I think) on its last legs.
It’s fairly rusted / eroded and it lifts apart which the other two don’t.
The gas flows fine and lights but as soon as I let go of the knob the flame goes out.
The only manufacturer/ make I can see is SMEV. (???) is this a known make?

I’m wondering could this be something that could be fixed or would I be looking at a whole new hob?
I could and do get by with 2 rings but would be handier to have the 3rd one working.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Hob ring acting the maggot.

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #2
Sounds like you have a faulty thermocouple. The little probe that sits in the flame. Easily replaceable, usually a 8mm or 10mm collar holding the other end into the gas valve.
It looks like a small copper pipe about 3mm in diameter back to the valve.
The thermocouples are available widely, but ebay is a good bet.
Smev thermocouple on ebay, or if you had the old one out an aftermarket one at about a tenner.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #3
As Jon said but also get a wire brush to the under side of the top plate ,clean the groves our of the flame spreader, the flame may be blocked from going out trough the groves to reach the thermocouple. then get one of those green scrubs with a bit of jiff to clean the stainless top .to work properly it should have a smooth airflow all the rust won't help.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #4
Quote by JJF

Sounds like you have a faulty thermocouple. The little probe that sits in the flame. Easily replaceable, usually a 8mm or 10mm collar holding the other end into the gas valve.
It looks like a small copper pipe about 3mm in diameter back to the valve.
The thermocouples are available widely, but ebay is a good bet.
Smev thermocouple on ebay, or if you had the old one out an aftermarket one at about a tenner.

Thanks John.
I think the thermocouple is seen in one of the photos sticking up? It’s kind of lose but thing all 3 are like that.
If I replace it do you think that I should be concerned about the pieces of the ring coming apart compared to the other 2 which don’t. ?
Thanks for your help.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #5
The two pieces in your photo should always come apart for cleaning,if the other ones don't they may be just stuck together for lack of cleaning

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #6
Quote by sprinter

The two pieces in your photo should always come apart for cleaning,if the other ones don't they may be just stuck together for lack of cleaning

Thanks Martin, that would make sense. Just thought that as they both don’t move at all that they were fixed.
Will see if they are in any mood to be moved too and give them a good cleaning.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #7
It looks like the 2 screws that hold it all together have rusted and broken. Replace them, clean all the rust and try again before replacing the thermo couple.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #8
Smev are a good manufacturer so parts should be available

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #9
Thanks all for your replies.
I gave the pieces all a good scrum with wire wool and are now cleaner than ever.
I tried it and it seems that the thermocouple is loose and if I just push it up a little from underneath the gas stays on so looks like it’s working ok. (The thermocouple that is). Just not sure how to make it sit up a little like the others. A bit more investigation needed.

The little screw thingys are as Mark said very degraded and am wonderIng if they are really the problem.
Martin was saying that these all should come apart for cleaning purposes which makes perfect sense. I had a look at the other 2 burners (which are working fine) and they really seem rigid and I don’t want to go forcing them. They really look like they are not meant to be taken apart.
Are these definitely meant to come apart? Are there some screws to be loosened or something?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #10
Quote by just_manu

Thanks all for your replies.
I gave the pieces all a good scrum with wire wool and are now cleaner than ever.
I tried it and it seems that the thermocouple is loose and if I just push it up a little from underneath the gas stays on so looks like it’s working ok. (The thermocouple that is). Just not sure how to make it sit up a little like the others. A bit more investigation needed.

The little screw thingys are as Mark said very degraded and am wonderIng if they are really the problem.
Martin was saying that these all should come apart for cleaning purposes which makes perfect sense. I had a look at the other 2 burners (which are working fine) and they really seem rigid and I don’t want to go forcing them. They really look like they are not meant to be taken apart.
Are these definitely meant to come apart? Are there some screws to be loosened or something?

You could be right on the small ones , the one in the photo is exactly the same as the ones fitted on mu hob at home . for interest sake can you post a photo of the other ones.
If you can,t keep the thermocouple in place with a screw ,you may be able to do so with a pop rivet.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2017  ·  #11
These burner assemblies are held together, and in place, by two screws. The remains of the two screws on your burner can be seen in your first photo on the underside of the top plate. You will need to remove the remnants from the Hob plate and replace the screws when re-assembling the burner.
The thermocouple is, usually, held in place with a clip fitted underneath the hob. The clip is flexible/springy so some movement will be felt in the thermocouple. It is possible, that like the screws, this clip has corroded away and just needs to be replaced.
Make sure, before re-assembly, that the area around the base of the burner is perfectly clean as this is where the air enters to mix with the gas when the burner is operating.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Stoney

These burner assemblies are held together, and in place, by two screws. The remains of the two screws on your burner can be seen in your first photo on the underside of the top plate. You will need to remove the remnants from the Hob plate and replace the screws when re-assembling the burner.
The thermocouple is, usually, held in place with a clip fitted underneath the hob. The clip is flexible/springy so some movement will be felt in the thermocouple. It is possible, that like the screws, this clip has corroded away and just needs to be replaced.
Make sure, before re-assembly, that the area around the base of the burner is perfectly clean as this is where the air enters to mix with the gas when the burner is operating.

Thanks Stoney. Will take a look at the 2 other burners and see what can be done with this one.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.