norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Possible motorhome levy for Scottish Isles

· 
Posted: 23.09.2017  ·  #2
Apparently the islands' tourist board has slammed the idea citing that motorhomers spend on average £500 a week when there.
If the pressure in infrastructure is too great it would be easy for Calmac to limit numbers on their ferries....
It seems to be getting harder and harder to be a motorhomer these days.
There was a prog on the radio where Scottish locals were complaining about the disruption from their version of the WAW.
Are the locals living on your WAW giving out about it too?

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2017  ·  #3
Not yet, but I can see the point coming when it becomes a problem. The infrastructure isn't there for mass motorhoming in Ireland.
Bord Failte had an advertisement on German TV with a Camper in the shot and this year the amount of Motorhomes in Cork has been huge compared with previously.
Little to no way for them to dump grey or black water so where does it go??

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2017  ·  #4
This does seem like so half cocked idea and just a jerk reaction.
If as it seems there are too many Motorhomes/Caravans making the journey that they can cope with would it not make sense to bring in a system like in the Channel isles where you can only go if you have a site booked for the duration of your stay, they of course also restrict driving also, which in reality means that they get few motorhomes anyway as you cant get around the island easily

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #5
Was going to add to my last post but left it too late but re the ferry costs based on RET

RET = Road Equivalent Tariff. A discount on ferry fares to bring the cost into line with what it would have cost to get there by road, if it was possible.

Why oh why cant we have a similar system for the ferry costs between our two islands that would increase the number of MHs making the journey both ways
Any chance that MHC could put this forward to the Friendly Irish Tourist board or whoever

David

chalkey

Subject:

Unstoppable trend

· 
Posted: 17.10.2017  ·  #6
The amount of motorhomes being both manufactured and sold in Europe has increased enormasly in recent years. Places of natural beauty along with weather and facilities are obviously going to be subject to a big increase in motorhome numbers visiting. Spain have realised that providing facilities for motorhomes is big business and facilities are springing up everywhere. Alone in Calpe which is a few miles up the coast from Benidorm no less than 3 brand new aires have opened this year to create parking for at least 250 motorhomes.
The buisness potential for areas who provide such facilities are huge I am sure that we will see more and more parking being provided here, just look at the great initiative being provided in Ardmore co Waterford all I can say is bring it on. I am looking forward to spending a couple of months in sunny Spain shortly and the person which who provides parking for my motorhome is looking forward to my spending of €350 a month for privalage of me and 50 other motorhomes doing so. That equates to at least 15,000 per month for the provision of basic parking.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.