Craic'er
My Motorhome: Euramobil 515
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 1997
Subject:

Re-sealing roof seams

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #1
Hi all,
We've got a Euramobil camper on a 1997 Ducato chassis. It looks like one or two screws on the extrusions at the room seams have rusted and broken over the cab and there is an obvious gap there now. The rest of the seals seem to be in OK condition for the year but this area needs to sorted quickly as I'm sure its not watertight anymore.

This is our first motorhome so I'm not too familiar with how these edges are sealed. I'm assuming I can remove the rubber strips from the centre of the aluminium extrusion, remove screws and alu extrusion, clean off old sealent, apply new sealant and screw back together. The rubber screw cover strips are perished so I will replace these and they seem to be widely available online in motorhome spares shops. I don't see the rubber seals for under the extrusion for sale anywhere though, can these usually be re-used?

I'll have to borrow a mates garage for a few days to get this sorted so I want to be as prepared as possible! There is a Wurth shop near me in Galway so I'll stock up on the Bond'n'Seal beforehand.

Any advice on what else I might need is greatly appreciated!!

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Re-sealing roof seams

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #2
It would appear from the photo that there already has been some d.i.y carried out here. If you feel up to the challenge then why not give it a go otherwise I would be suggesting getting it to a repair workshop because if this is not repaired correctly then you will soon have major problems.

Sean61
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #3
Yeah it looks like the entire body was resealed at some stage. Apart from having used a bit too much sealer which was squeezed out under the rubber, it seems like a fairly decent job. It just looks a bit messy in that area because I put some extra sealer on a few weeks ago where the rubber was separating from the body panel.

You can't see in the pic but there is a slight dent in the roof where something caught the vehicle over the cab. It's putting a bit of extra pressure on the joint and is the main reason its separating there in the first place.

I'd love to take it to a professional but we're saving for a blocks and mortar house at the moment so it's either diy or not fix it at all! I'm sure i can manage it if I do my homework. Any tips on removing the old sealant?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #4
I reseal the trim of an old caravan once and if I was asked to do one again, I would run away from it.
I suspect that under the aluminium trim is a layer of non setting mastic sealant, not rubber trim. The reason that non setting mastic is used is that it never dries out and hardens. This allows the roof and wall panels to firstly expand and contract with temperature and secondly it dampens vibration when driving. Regular sealant, like the one mentioned, will split over time from the above conditions.
The pain in your backside will be, removing the aluminium trim without damaging its shape. Every kink and twist will affect the refit. The old screws will have to be removed, even the broken ones because leaving a rust broken screw in a wooden panel will start rot. Best practice is to use stainless steel screws for the refit.
The rubber strip for covering the screws is widely available but it comes in a variety of widths and colours.
It's probably better to purchase things in person than over the Internet. A caravan or a boat dealer would stock all of what I suggested.
I done the two front side rails of the caravan, from the window top to the floor costing about €35 for the sealant, screws and rubber strip in Charles Camping in Blessington. In reality there was a days labour involved in the fix.
Best of luck.
Malcolm

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #5
Definitely get on with the job yourself as doing nothing is not an option,depending on what sealant has been used there should be some form of solvent to clean off the old sealer.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #6
Bond and seal is mighty tack but you need the surface to be spotless clean and dry, if not you will have an unmerciful job to remove it again. I see no reason why you can't reuse the moulding if it is not damaged or plastered with old sealer,just drill the holes in a different position. Bond and seal can be got in Black and white.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #7
Think I already replied to your post on Facebook - doing my nightly sweep of FB sites & MHC. I reseated my 98 LMC Ducato based MH.

I removed the previously badly applied sealant carefully with a flat screwdriver and it came off in strips ok. It had taken a knock in the back corner in the past & was badly filled with silicon which was very hard to remove. I got it out & filled it with black sikaflex. On the roof for extra protection I put caravan mastic sealant over the sikaflexed seals once it had dried. I didn't fancy taking off any aluminium strips as I knew it could turn into a nightmare job - ideally I the mastic tape is supposed to go under that I think.

Sean61
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #8
Thanks for the quick replies!
I hear what you're saying thorn123. I think if I had to redo the whole body I'd just get rid of it altogether because I know all too well that no job ever goes as smoothly as planned. I'm only after fixing a list of stuff to get through the doe last month!

I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to get the moulding off without bending it. There are rubber seals underneath and the old sealant is underneath those so it's the rubbers I'm worried about. The sealant does seem to be the non hardening stuff and there is a lot of it so it'll be tricky to get a clean surface when putting it back together.

I'll gladly buy all the stuff in person if possible so i can be sure of sizes etc. Where's the nearest place from Galway that would have the rubbers and trim pieces in stock?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #9
Quote by gavster1

Think I already replied to your post on Facebook - doing my nightly sweep of FB sites & MHC. I reseated my 98 LMC Ducato based MH.

I removed the previously badly applied sealant carefully with a flat screwdriver and it came off in strips ok. It had taken a knock in the back corner in the past & was badly filled with silicon which was very hard to remove. I got it out & filled it with black sikaflex. On the roof for extra protection I put caravan mastic sealant over the sikaflexed seals once it had dried. I didn't fancy taking off any aluminium strips as I knew it could turn into a nightmare job - ideally I the mastic tape is supposed to go under that I think.

Cheers Gavin,
I had forgotten that on older wagons the sealant was a mastic type strip, like the old kids play dough.
A flat head screwdriver or a plastic knife used when icing a cake. There are industrial solvents available to clean the surfaces but I used hot soapy water and a pot scubbing sponge.
Malcolm

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Thorn123

Quote by gavster1

Cheers Gavin,
I had forgotten that on older wagons the sealant was a mastic type strip, like the old kids play dough.
A flat head screwdriver or a plastic knife used when icing a cake. There are industrial solvents available to clean the surfaces but I used hot soapy water and a pot scubbing sponge.
Malcolm

It was mentioned here on the site before that a can of freeze for plumbing was very good to remove sealer. If my memory serves me right Kevin ( Blag) used it on his RV

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #11
Yeah. That worked for me on the black rubbery mastic in the engine compartment.

I'm in the middle of resealing my roof and I found the older sealer (butyl tape) used on the coach seams is not bad to get off with an old wood chisel or putty knife. It does take a lot of time to remove properly though.
In an effort not to distort my trim, I carefully pryed It off with a couple of 2" putty knives and some thin wooden wedges left over from another project.
To reseal, im using tiger seal automotive panel sealer as I've used it many times before and it's my preferred choice. That stuff sticks to anything and remains flexible. Messy to work with and near impossible to get off your skin once it dries, so gloves mandatory!
Patience is the key. I had to drill out many rusty screws over the last few weekends. I'm replacing them with stainless pan head screws.

Sean61
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #12
Thanks guys. Plenty of tips there for me. I don't think it's the tape type sealer that's on mine but I'm not too sure really. I'll just have to see how it comes off when I get started and hopefully I won't run into trouble!

I'll find out where stocks the parts near the west and update how I get on with the job 👍

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #13
i`ve always wondered is it worth the hassle and trouble re-doing the roof joints on older m/h?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #14
Quote by oldautotrailer

i`ve always wondered is it worth the hassle and trouble re-doing the roof joints on older m/h?

The alternative being?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #15
Quote by oldautotrailer

If your house at home had a leaking roof, would you fix it? I think so.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Re-sealing roof seams

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #16
Quote by Thorn123

Quote by oldautotrailer

If your house at home had a leaking roof, would you fix it? I think so.

If its yours you maintain it , unless you have the funds to move on, I had this done to my roof this year , and the skylight on the van is next.
But I think I wont use led this time
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #17
When it comes to fixing seams ,in my opinion Sika Flex 501 takes a bit of beating, if it is a rigid joint and you don't want to take it apart again.For things like roof vents etc I would use a marine mastic.

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2017  ·  #18
what i should have clarified was while roof seams are not leaking but over time would the original sealer lose efficiency so maybe the answer is to leave well enough alone until you really need to look at them!

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2017  ·  #19
The old principle " If it aint broken don't fix it"

Sean61
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2017  ·  #20
I wouldn't like to leave it until it leaks, I've seen what happens once the water gets inside! I can't be sure that it's not leaking already anyway, the seal looks to be in poor condition.

Has anyone any experience of ordering these seals? I've been trying to place an order for new ones with a Euramobil dealer here in Ireland but they say Euramobil haven't replied to them yet. It has been well over a week now so it doesn't fill me with confidence that I'll ever get them.

MantabillyCro
My Motorhome: Fiat Ducato 91
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2017  ·  #21
TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2018  ·  #22
The dealer obviously hasn’t tried hard enough. A few years I broke a locking mechanism that secured the drawers while in transit on my .EuraMobil. I tried a dealer in England who said the part would cost £40 plus VAT plus £50 for postage. Basically told him he was talking rubbish and tried Euramobil themselves. They would not sell direct to me but referred me back to the dealer. That same year I got one in an accessory shop in France for 7 euros. Saying that EuraMobil helped me out by replacing my roof of my MH (in another post)

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2018  ·  #23
Sikaflex 221 is about the best you can get, it has a shelf life so check the date on the tube. Comes in Black or White.
Buy a couple of tubes and don't be shy about using it, a leak will cost a lot more than a couple of tubes to repair!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #24
Have to agree with Boulder, Sikaflex is the best about. I fitted a 5.5m awning to my MH and was worried about the warranty as I would be drilling into the van. I was advised Sikaflex at the time and haven’t had a leak. I filled the drilled holes with it, then plastered the washers, nuts and bolts to be sure to be sure

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2018  ·  #25
Sorry Bounder

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.