Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

The joys of modern diesel engines

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #1
Our MH is a 2010 Ford Transit based with a 2.2L engine and a 6 speed gearbox. When we purchased a little over 2 years ago there was 15000 miles on the clock.
My first impressions of driving it, I felt it was a bit sluggish and slow to respond with power. I put it down to be parked up for a while because the milage was soo low.
Last year while touring the back roads of Malin Beg in Donegal, the engine management light came on, but we got home a few days later.
Afterwards the MH was booked into the local ford dealer for a full service who afterwards informed us of an update to the fuel management software which fixed the engine management light. The engine ran smoother, less rpm needed for gear changes and better fuel economy.
The downside was while cruising along and then you met a hill, there was no power to get up it. The solution was to drop back to 3/4th gear, to get up the hill. Back to Mr ford dealer who informed me that my engine was too small for a 3500kg MH. Lets just say that he was not on the Christmas card list last year.
Last August, when we were making our way back to Cherbourg in France, as some folks here know, the motorway is quite steep in places, our engine management light comes on again. Gurrrr!!!! But most importantly we got home.
This time the MH was brought to a new garage here which was setup by a guy from eastern Europe. Within a minute of plugging in his laptop, he diagnosised the problem as been a faulty egr valve and what more it has been faulty for the last 3 years according to the fault logs on the ecu. Mr ford was soo good that they forgot to wipe the faults from the ecu.
Our egr was stuck fully open which meant when the engine has to produce more power the exhaust gases were choking the engine, hence the reason why, I was down shifting so much.
Why do these engine engineers make everytime soo complicated these days? I remember a time when the only tools need to fix an engine was a vicegrip and a screwdriver.
Malcolm

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: The joys of modern diesel engines

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #2
I blame the environmentalists! In the old days, engines were simpler, even if they pumped out black smoke 😏

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #3
Is it sorted now Malcolm?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #4
Similar story,
My Volvo S40 1.9D Sport had a habit of cutting out at traffic lights, roundabouts, toll booths etc. though it never lacked speed or pulling power. I took the car to a local main dealer, a Renault main dealer as the engine is the Renault 1.9 unit and the Volvo main dealer is not so close, they diagnosed low fuel pressure due to a worn fuel pump and recommended its replacement plus new injectors, well over €1000 worth of work.

A local independent mechanic diagnosed a faulty fuel pressure sensor, replaced it for less than two hundred Euro, and the engine has been perfect since. That was three and a half years and 45k miles ago.

The local independent mechanic is also of Eastern European origin. ;-)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #5
Just picked it up today. My wife drove the MH today. It will be Sunday before I will get a chance to take it for a spin. Egr valve replaced, fuel system recalibrated, full engine service and general check over. The mechanic took the MH for a 10 mile spin, as in his words "a good engine workout". In all €450 was lifted off me.
Someone will probably suggest here, as to why I didn't opt to have the egr valve bypassed and the reason was simple. It only works on a daily driver been driven all day, everyday. The MH might not move for 3 weeks but then do 200 miles over a weekend. To bypass the egr in this situation could lead to carbon build up in the intake manifolds.
These eastern european boys seem to know their stuff and their laptops.
I suppose the point that I want to make people aware of if a main dealer struggled with my problem, what chance does a MH dealer have of sorting something out on a modern diesel engine?

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #6
Well... in reality engineers now these days actually make it very simple, you had the alarm telling you exactly what it was for over 3 years. The issue is the morons that they're still thinking about carbs and have no clue on how to use a computer.

If you know how to use the computer, you don't have to do any troubleshooting... it tells you what's wrong straight away or at the very least narrow it down to some possible culprits.

Granted, you'll most likely wont be able to do that on the side of the road but neither would that be the case if the computer wasn't there. If anything, the machine could potentially be smart enough to get you working with less power/restrictive mode so you can actually go home and not cause any more damage.

It all depends on how you see it, but there's no arguing that the technology is way better and efficient. 20 years back you wouldn't even dream on getting the same power/efficiency with a normally aspirated carburated 2.2 diesel engine.

Actually, if you are into getting your hands dirty and travel around with a laptop... you can get a really cheap OBDII USB adapter from Amazon/eBay for just a few quid. Then you can sort out the codes, google around and potentially even fix the problem yourself.

Cheers,
Rami

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #7
Quote by RTV

Well... in reality engineers now these days actually make it very simple, you had the alarm telling you exactly what it was for over 3 years. The issue is the morons that they're still thinking about carbs and have no clue on how to use a computer.

If you know how to use the computer, you don't have to do any troubleshooting... it tells you what's wrong straight away or at the very least narrow it down to some possible culprits.

Granted, you'll most likely wont be able to do that on the side of the road but neither would that be the case if the computer wasn't there. If anything, the machine could potentially be smart enough to get you working with less power/restrictive mode so you can actually go home and not cause any more damage.

It all depends on how you see it, but there's no arguing that the technology is way better and efficient. 20 years back you wouldn't even dream on getting the same power/efficiency with a normally aspirated carburated 2.2 diesel engine.

Actually, if you are into getting your hands dirty and travel around with a laptop... you can get a really cheap OBDII USB adapter from Amazon/eBay for just a few quid. Then you can sort out the codes, google around and potentially even fix the problem yourself.

Cheers,
Rami

The BIG problem with the computer is that it reports on the recorded fault as detected by a sensor. In me case the sensor was telling a lie as IT had gone faulty, so it takes a trained mechanic (old style) to spot the lie by adding how the engine is actually performing into the mix of info.

I had another similar incident with the Truma unit in my MH, the voltage sensor on the PCB was reporting a low voltage and it was preventing the unit from firing up, the voltage was not low (it was as it should be, 13.4v) it was the sensor gone faulty and telling a lie.
The initial response from a local agent was that I needed two new leisure batteries which I declined to buy as the ones fitted were only about six months old, the real cure was a new PCB.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

The BIG problem with the computer is that it reports on the recorded fault as detected by a sensor. In me case the sensor was telling a lie as IT had gone faulty, so it takes a trained mechanic (old style) to spot the lie by adding how the engine is actually performing into the mix of info.

I had another similar incident with the Truma unit in my MH, the voltage sensor on the PCB was reporting a low voltage and it was preventing the unit from firing up, the voltage was not low (it was as it should be, 13.4v) it was the sensor gone faulty and telling a lie.
The initial response from a local agent was that I needed two new leisure batteries which I declined to buy as the ones fitted were only about six months old, the real cure was a new PCB.

This is true, it's called a false-positive. But then again... for someone that knows and has been trained in this stuff, sensors are the first thing that you check. And they're normally much easier to troubleshoot with a simple multimeter than a mechanical fault where there could be multiple factors.

It's a 180 degree change in mindset for sure and not a lot of mechanics are used to grab the computer and look at schematics first. The once that do, get things sorted much quicker!!!

And it's not like old fashion mechanics were great and got the issue sorted everytime, normally they would know about 3 or 4 possible solutions for that one noise and they'll go ruling things out at the customer's expense and time. If you know how to use the computers, it's much easier to pin point the issue... they're not perfect, sure... but far better than what it used to be.

Apply "In my opinion" to all of the above :)

Cheers,
Rami

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #9
Quote by Thorn123

I remember a time when the only tools need to fix an engine was a vicegrip and a screwdriver.

I eventually came to terms with modern engine diagnostics, but I will always prefer to work on older engines with a simple temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor and nothing else to give false readings.

They'll be nowhere near as efficient as a modern high tech engine, but they're just more fun to work on & diagnose.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #10
I couldn't believe when my gearstick wouldn't engage first and reverse that all it took was as a 10mm spanner and a pliers to tighten the clutch cable!!

I bought one of those EOBDII readrs, which was handy - but the €500 or so on the software and hardware to plug into a laptop - has oten crossed my mind as a worthy investment!

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #11
Modern diesels might be more powerful and efficient but they also have potentially higher maintenance costs. Particulate filters, EGR valves and dual mass flywheels can be pretty expensive if/when they go wrong. More and more mechanics are encouraging folks towards petrol engines in my experience although I guess that's not really an option with campervans and motorhomes !
Having re-read this, I guess modern petrol engines have their foibles too e.g. multiple coils packs vs distributor/dizzy etc.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #12
I have been reading the above comments with interest and agreed with all of the above opinions.
As it happened, this morning while a kids rugby match, I ran into another parent who I know that has worked as a service manager over the last 15 years in various garages.
As we chatted, she highlighted the problem of getting proper trained staff to operate the computer diagnosis equipment. She believes that this is a result of the serious downturn of the irish car industry during the recession. The car industry let good staff go, stopped training other staff in software development, but also alot of garages didn't update alot of the diagnosis software because it costed money.
The result was alot of eastern european mechanics were recruited on poor wages during the recession. Since the car market improved, alot of these mechanics have leftthe dealerships and set up their own business.
Interesting comment.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.