Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

Potential height barriers in Newcastle Co.Down

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #1
[img]Just had someone tell me about the front page of the Mourne Observer - council debating whether to put up height barriers on 4 car parks. I parked in the dedicated motorhome parking place in Donard park at the Airshow & avoided the car parks - especially as there were signs asking Motorhomes to park there rather than in the car parks. Much easier parking & plenty of space but it would be difficult to visit Newcastle on a normal weekend if barriers go up.

[/img]
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Potential height barriers in Newcastle Co.Down

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #2
Well let the traders make their voice heard about this one

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #3
If they are considering erecting barriers I would like to know under what legislation they deem it necessary without causing discrimination against certain sections of the community, after all under Eu law (which ultimately trumps all UK law) motorhomes are classified the same as cars.

From what I have been able to read of the front page, part of the complaints stemmed from the parking at the airshow, when motorhomes took over the river side car park, which was designated blue badge parking, when challenged they all produced blue badges, what was the problem! Sour grapes from car drivers who couldn't get in. They also complained about motorhomes parking across the parking bays, while I dont condone this, it may have been the persons only option, but there again, use the mantra no space, move on. But have the complainers ever looked at the various muppets in cars who park across 2 bays so they dont get their doors dented!, create extra rows where there should not be any etc, again its down to the council not policing the parking rules correctly. We all were told some time ago that if parking in Newcastle park within the bays and there is not a problem, go outside them and be prepared for a ticket, well issue tickets to all vehicles which break the rules!

The provisions for motohomes for the airshow, while welcomed they in my opinion were inadequate, I too parked in Donard in the designated zone and come Sunday when I went to leave the rain had made the ground very soft and I got stuck, no one from the council could be found to aid me in getting out, it came down to fellow motorhomers to do so.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #4
Council considers? Has any of you been asked by the council how we can all work together to solve the issue or is it gong to be, "you're not welcome? "

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #5
I'll point the council towards this thread.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #6
I tried to get a copy of the paper today to see what the rest of the story was as it looked a bit like there were some concerns about Motorhomes not being able to body but I could not get a copy.

I posted the picture on a Facebook page to get an opinion there and a local motorhome owner has said the traders do not want Motorhomes full stop. If the traders don't see any value in Motorhomes visiting then it is an uphill struggle to convince anyone else.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #7
We parked at the Glen river car park last year for the air show were told as we had a blue badge no problem as to how people parked there are no bays marked out there or the rock pool car park so how can they complain

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #8
Because they couldn’t get to those car parks, it wouldn’t matter if it was a six berth motorhome with everyone inside it having a blue badge, they will still complain. The moaners don’t take into account that we may be legally entitled to park there, but if they complain enough the council will listen, the council will then act in a discriminatory manor by marginalising a section of the community.

The best solution to the problem, close the car parks to all vehicles, install seating so no one can park and make everyone park in Donard Park, that way everyone gets treated equally.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #9
Quote by the fat controller

Because they couldn’t get to those car parks, it wouldn’t matter if it was a six berth motorhome with everyone inside it having a blue badge, they will still complain. The moaners don’t take into account that we may be legally entitled to park there, but if they complain enough the council will listen, the council will then act in a discriminatory manor by marginalising a section of the community.

The best solution to the problem, close the car parks to all vehicles, install seating so no one can park and make everyone park in Donard Park, that way everyone gets treated equally.

Sounds good John but that would be discriminating against the motorist :happy: I cannot work out how these councils seem to think that the £20 note in the car drivers pocket seems to be worth more than the same value note in the Motorhomers pocket.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #10
It seems that all is not lost on the Newcastle scenario.

http://www.downnews.co.uk/coun…mper-vans/

However it would be good if the council take a bit of advice on how any 'aire' should be designed. Do we have any informal representation or can we make an approach to consult as a group using MHC as a stakeholder.

I would be prepared to help if there was a lead.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #11
Quote by Davy

Do we have any informal representation or can we make an approach to consult as a group using MHC as a stakeholder.

I would be prepared to help if there was a lead.

Davy

I'll get back to you this evening Davy with contacts and information.

Of course our 20 million hits, our 6 years of campaigning and 5000 members can be used to promote our cause.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #12
PM sent Davy.

Details and previously prepared documents included.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #13
joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #14
Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #15
That sounds better. I searched far & wide to get a copy of the Mourne Observer to read the rest of the story to see if there were any proposals to provide an Aire or overnight parking. I would prefer that to a car park that I may not feel welcome in & could be blocked in by cars during the day if I needed to move on.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #16
We have been waiting on a NI Council run survey on Motorhoming being created for over a year now. Things are finally moving and we will have details soon.

We hope that this will eventually lead to a criteria that all councils can refer to for the addition of Aire's, including what is needed with bye laws etc, there has been some great work in the past year or two which of course Motorhomecraic has been involved in.

PM sent Davy :)

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #17
Council have decided to put up height barriers on downs road and Glen river car parks they say they still want to welcome motor homes and are looking at donard park and islands park as potential sites today's down recorder

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #18
Quote by unhappy camper

Council have decided to put up height barriers on downs road and Glen river car parks they say they still want to welcome motor homes and are looking at donard park and islands park as potential sites today's down recorder

Motorhomecraic representative is discussing it with them and will hopefully guide them in the right direction.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2017  ·  #19
There is a research letter from down council on wildcamping .co.uk at this moment which i am a member off, asking what services would be required on aires for vans and or other parking/services regarding vans coming from mainland and further afield which is well underway.
So councils must be getting there heads round this at last.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2017  ·  #20
Hi Roadrunner,

The survey you mention is actually Ards and N. Down council. I posted the link on several sites throughout the British isles. I am in contact with their tourism and marketing staff and have been contributing to a major tourism, arts, employment and regeneration policy being formulated at present. The survey should be on the front page of this site if you haven’t had an opportunity to contribute yet. Open until 5th jan.

It may be that the survey forms the basis of other councils policy, if they are lobbyed. I don’t think the councils will be self starters on provision, so you can see that the survey could be important.

I am also in touch with an MLA and councillors in the Newry, Mourne and Down council regarding the proposed height barriers in Newcastle. I think we are on the back foot regarding this scenario as some have created a bad image of motorhoming by their usage, poor parking and overstaying. The council have already voted to install barriers, so an uphill struggle. At present the council are at least hoping to provide an alternative parking area at the back of Donard car park. The downside is that it is not the prime position that the Glen river or Downs road occupy. There is a proposed meeting being arranged between the council, the political reps and my self being set up in the new year. I am happy to have another craic member join me in the process, so feel free to contact either Ally or myself to offer your assistance.

Davy

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2017  ·  #21
One thing I would say for Newcastle is that at least they have dedicated motorhome parking for the Airshow (mainly to try to encourage them not to park in the seafront car parks probably) and many event organisers would not think to provide specific parking for Motorhomes. I know they are taxed the same as cars etc but I don’t mind walking a little further if I can be sure I can get parked, not block anybody’s way & no cars can block me in!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.