unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

Re: Tyre sealant

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #4
Got our tyres sealed today at wells tyres bangor worked out less than eight pounds a tyre

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #5
Any issue with wobble in steering?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #6
Quote by mad max

Any issue with wobble in steering?

When they did our last two motorhomes they balanced the wheels as part of the price.
They recommend the seal for vans and larger vehicles rather than cars which I think is to do with balance.
We have never had any balance problems after getting wells to do the motorhomes.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #7
Thanks for that Mark,

I had asked in one of the (not my usual tyre shop) local tyre companies whilst getting a work truck tyre replaced recently,
They said that it's not suited to anything other than agri spec vehicles because it wasn't possible to balance the wheels properly afterwards,
Goes to show they have a bit of learning to do or they are just too lazy to do it,

I'll have a bit of news for them on my next visit :up:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #8
CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #9
Quote by mad max

Thanks for that Mark,

I had asked in one of the (not my usual tyre shop) local tyre companies whilst getting a work truck tyre replaced recently,
They said that it's not suited to anything other than agri spec vehicles because it wasn't possible to balance the wheels properly afterwards,
Goes to show they have a bit of learning to do or they are just too lazy to do it,

I'll have a bit of news for them on my next visit :up:

Funny you said that John, we got alloys fitted to ours last year and never knew that there was sealer in the steel wheels, when the tyre guy fitted the tyres on the alloys he said he found it hard to balance the wheels and he also said that the sealer was for quarry equipment. I think if you balance the wheels before you put in the sealer you should be ok. Anyway there is no wobble in the wheels thank God.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #10
I had thought about it a few years back and I was advised against it as it caused so many problems.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #11
We have had sealant in our tyres for years once saved us from a bad blowout the sidewall had burst and we didn't know about it until the next day thought we had a slow puncture went to a tyre depot to get it checked and couldn't believe the state of the tyre did hear a noise but thought we had run over a branch got them sealed again today as we had replaced tyres never any problem with steering or air pressure or balance

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2016  ·  #12
Quote by jacktherev

I had thought about it a few years back and I was advised against it as it caused so many problems.

What problems jack?

Any tyre place who don't do don't like it as it means no puncture repairs.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2016  ·  #13
Is that what it is Mark. The guy told me if I had alloy wheels not to touch it.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2016  ·  #14
It is the story I have been told however that was by the place that does both. LOL

Never heard anything about alloys but I will ask.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2017  ·  #15
After having two punctures in a matter of weeks, one at home and one in France, both large flat headed nails and luckily spotted before total deflation I decided to have my tyres sealed. I am getting too old and fat to be changing wheels, especially on a Motorhome.

This thread helped me decide, so off we went today to Wells tyres in Bangor, there doesn't seem to any other firms showing on a google search and Wells seemed to get a good report.

Very impressed by the service. They asked about jacking points and also took the trouble to ask for wheel nut torques and did the job properly. Wheels balanced, sealant applied and after driving home there was no difference in handling. £53 for 225/75 16inch wheels.

Davy

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2017  ·  #16
Glad you got sorted Davy.

They are usually very good like that.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #17
Sounds like you got a proper firm there Davy,

And at £53 that's good value

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #18
It is in some ways an act of faith. How do you know if you have had a puncture if there is no trace of a nail.

The main reasons I decided to go for it are; the French puncture was a slow loss of pressure with the nail still in the tyre, but discovered after we descended from Gavarnie in the Pyrenees. One of those narrow, twisting steep roads off the mountain with big drops on one side. A sudden deflation could have been a disaster. Even changing a tyre on one of those roads would be a major challenge.

Given the cost of a new tyre probably in the region of £120, I reckon a sealent may save a tyre from major sidewall damage if driven on while flat for any distance, probably destroying the tyre. I don't fancy driving with 80psi with a possibly compromised tyre because the sidewall has unknown damage but with a patched tread. So for the cost of half I tyre, I reckon it is a good option.

Davy

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #19
Not sure how it would react with tyre pressure monitors but after having a puncture and trying to get the MH jacked up and wheel changed on soft ground at Stendhal festival last year I would consider it.

The reasons why I did the change myself were (a) I didnt want to wait as it was detected immediately so could save the tyre from damage (b) didnt fancy trying to get the AA into the festival to do the change for me.

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

tyre sealant

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #20
hi folks. anyone know where i can get it done in the south east. thanks for any info.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #21
I phoned a few tyre dealers in the Portadown area today, and as others have experienced, none of them would do it. I am corncerned about how I would be able to change a flat tyre and would really like to get it done to my van. Most of the dealers cited instability/vibrations at motorway speeds. Has anyone experienced these problems?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #22
Quote by ColinM

I phoned a few tyre dealers in the Portadown area today, and as others have experienced, none of them would do it. I am corncerned about how I would be able to change a flat tyre and would really like to get it done to my van. Most of the dealers cited instability/vibrations at motorway speeds. Has anyone experienced these problems?

It was in the steel wheels on our van when we got it and I didn't know until I got Alloys fitted, the Guy fitting the Alloys said he found it hard to balance the wheels because of the residue in the tyres and said that should be only fitted to heavy machinery in a quarry. There was no vibration or any problem at any speed when it was in Wheels, Infact if I knew it was in the wheels I probably would not have fitted the Alloys.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2017  ·  #23
Thanks, mine are steel. I think I'll give it a try. 8-)

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2017  ·  #24
The good point about alloy wheels is if you lose a tyre of rim she will carry on just wearing the rim down,where as a steel rim will go out of shape distort and i have seen them pull over the studs leaving the hub.
Balance the wheels before putting in the sealant,but do remember it will only repair the tread section and not a cut or blow in the side wall.

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2017  ·  #25
Interesting thread this because I think everyone would have no problem paying £8-10 per tyre to have added protection if they thought it was an added safeguard and added security against punctures.

I went on a chat line with Michelin just now to ask them about that and they do not recommend sealant products although he was vague on why the company did not recommend them - transcript of the chat beow:

---

MICHELIN – Johannes: Hello, I am Johannes, your Michelin advisor. How may I help you?
You: HI I am using Michelin tyres for a motorhome (Agilis) and want to know if you advise for or against the use of tyre sealant to prevent punctures
MICHELIN – Johannes: Thank you for your question.
MICHELIN – Johannes: We as Michelin don't recommend the use of tyre sealant.
MICHELIN – Johannes: In general these kind of products can do more harm to the tyres than do good.
You: is that because you have not tested it and therefore have no information to give or because you have actually conducted tests and fount these products to be unsatisfactory
MICHELIN – Johannes: To be honest I don't know the reason directly. I was only told that we do not pro-actively recommend this.
You: OK thank you Johannes
MICHELIN – Johannes: You're welcome.

----

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2017  ·  #26
I suspect the issue with tyre sealants and the unwillingness to endorse them stems from the fact that each supplier of such products claim that their 'formula' is better than the competitors. This would leave tyre manufacturers in a position of having to recommend all or none.

They are complicit in permitting motor manufacturers to do away with spare wheels and to repair the puncture (temporarily) with a latex based kit supplied for the purpose. It is in their interests to insist on 5 tyres being supplied with a new car, yet they do not seem to object.

My own view is that if I get a puncture, but the nail/glass do not remain in the tyre then I am unaware that I had a puncture at all. I do inspect my tyres at regular intervals on all the family vehicles. Perhaps the people who do not are the source of concern for the tyre manufactures. Perhaps the tyre manufacturers cover them selves by assuming that if you have a puncture then you are forced to take action.

I am happy to accept that sealant is not a miracle cure and hope that it will at least reduce the potential for a blow out, or at the very least permit me to deal with a loss of pressure at my convenience in a safe location.

Davy

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2017  ·  #27
As an afterthought, my Motorhome runs at 80psi on the rear wheels, which is a hell of a pressure, yet the tyre suppliers allow Fiat/Hymer to supply a kit rather than a wheel. The tyre manufacturers must be aware of this and although the kit is clearly marked as a temporary fix, they must give a nod to these fluids. After all people like Royal Mail, various military and utility organisations are happy to use them.

Davy

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2017  ·  #28
Is the 'get you out of a fix' kit supplied with the vehicle exactly the same stuff as used for the permanent fill with tyre seal.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2017  ·  #29
Good question. I shall have to look over the next day or two. I did not leave the dealers until I had a proper spare wheel and tyre on board which is a bit of a nuisance due to the weight and size of it, 225/75 16.

One of my concerns, although not related to sealant, was that should I sustain sidewall damage, then with my luck it would be on a wet Sunday night and a bit pointless calling the RAC or Dolmen since a replacement tyre would not be available. I am given to understand that some recovery organisations stipulate that you must have either a spare wheel or tyre. Again I should hate to find that out on a wet Sunday.

So my actions are a bit belts and braces, but that suits my position on the OCD spectrum!

Davy

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Tyre sealant

· 
Posted: 21.01.2017  ·  #30
I have tyre sealant on my boat trailer tyres I put the sealant in five years ago no problems

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2017  ·  #31
I think I've said somewhere before on this site that I was advised not to touch type sealent and I haven't.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2017  ·  #32
As I said before tyre sealant saved us from a very bad blowout the inside wall of the rear nearside tyre was badly damaged we heard a noise but knew nothing until we were home thought we had a slow puncture until we went to the tyre depot the sealant did its job wouldn't be without it

Mick H
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2017  ·  #33
I had "Ultraseal" tyre sealant installed on our motorhome 11 years ago.

The van is fitted with alloy wheels, and Michelin Camper tyres. There haven't been any problems with balance, or any other issues.

When I had one tyre changed, for the spare, the garage didn't qubible, and simply wiped away the sealant, using a synthetic rag. I subsequentaly had this wheel injected with tyre sealant, at a local agent for the product.

I will certainly have sealant installed, when I have all the tyres replaced, later this year, because I don't carry a spare, to save weight.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2017  ·  #34
One of the problems is tyre fitters hate the slime as they have to wash it out before fixing a patch to the inside of tyre

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2017  ·  #35
Quote by roadrunner

One of the problems is tyre fitters hate the slime as they have to wash it out before fixing a patch to the inside of tyre

That is why I go to wells tyres. They are tyre fitters and supply and fit the sealant.

Phoebe
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2017  ·  #36
Used ultraseal on caravans,campers, motorcycles over a few years and a lot of miles with no problems with balance or with people changing the tyres.
Steven.

BentleyBoy
My Motorhome: Bentley Indigo
Base Vehicle: Renault Trafic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2017  ·  #37
I always fit TYRON bands in my motorhome tyres and monitor tyre pressure and tyre heat with a Tyre Pal system (belts and braces approach). The theory is that even with a blowout the tyre remains on the wheel and you can get to safety without ruining the wheel rim. I have very little faith in these sealant systems.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2017  ·  #38
Back in my Caravaning days there were always lots of positive reports of Tyron for vans though I never bothered with them. We have Motorhomed for about eight years now, and although I frequent several Motorhome forums, they rarely come up as a topic. I assume relatively few owners bother. Obviously they can offer substantial benefits in saving a puncture becoming a catastrophe, however my take is in trying to avoid the difficulty of wheel changing at the side of a busy road by holding an RAC membership and having my tyres treated with air seal.

Davy

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #39
I know this thread has been dormant for a while , but thought I would add to it. I had all my tyres sealed at Wells before my current trip. My RAC cover only allowed for one call out per continental trip , so I didn't want to use the call out for a flat tyre. I was also concerned about balance and vibration, but I can report no issues at all so far, have driven from Norn Iron to Valencia in 4 days. Early days yet, but I feel it's one less thing to worry about, hope I'm right.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #40
Got mine done also earlier this year, all doing great. No vibrations.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.